Reservations. Yes or no?

jpolak

DIS Veteran
We are making our first ever trip to universal. We are staying at Portofino bay and are a family of 5. My Disney brain says I need a dining reservation every night. A friend of mine says she never mad a dining reservation at universal. I’m nervous because we are going 2/16-2/21. So reservations? And if so what is your must do dinner spot. TIA

It's definitely not like Disney where you have to book six months in advance at the crack of dawn or its already too late.

If there is somewhere you really must dine at then I'd say try to make a reservation - especially that week.
If you have to eat at a particular time then make a reservation.

Personally I prefer to see what is available and what I feel like on the day.
Also since you are at Portofino bay you have Priority seating at restaurants and will get preference over general walk ups

Make a dinner reservation one evening at Mythos if you want to eat dinner there. We were turned away once as walk-ups. And the wait for walk-ups can be quite long even when they are accepting them. But no, you don’t need to go Disney-style crazy.

I have been unable to find a method to make reservations for Cowfish and Toothsome. We are staying at the Hard Rock. Can they make this for us at the hotel? Do we get priority?

Thanks for the tips. Made reservations for each night at dinner. Really no harm in making them since there is really no penalty for cancelling. At least we have them if need be.

Make a dinner reservation one evening at Mythos if you want to eat dinner there. We were turned away once as walk-ups. And the wait for walk-ups can be quite long even when they are accepting them. But no, you don’t need to go Disney-style crazy.

Yeah, I'd say any other place shouldn't be a problem, but if Mytho's is a plan a reservation should be done just in case, or get there when they first open. The past couple of times I've been this month to Mytho's I get there when they first open at 11 and easily had 15-20 people (people, not parties) along with myself were at the door when they opened. Once they collect names I was seated within a couple of minutes.

I would say to eat at both Harry Potter restaurants (3 broomsticks and the Leaky Cauldron), Sal’s Deli at PBH, Mythos, and Louie’s at US. We enjoy all of those. And Finnegan’s also. And Jakes at RPR.

I would say dining reservations are only necessary for in-park dining. As on-site guests, we've never needed them at City Walk because usually priority seating will work where its offered. For places its not offered, I think our longest wait has been 30 minutes and that was at Toothsome shortly after it opened.

I have been unable to find a method to make reservations for Cowfish and Toothsome. We are staying at the Hard Rock. Can they make this for us at the hotel? Do we get priority?
Toothsome doesn’t take reservations. I don’t know about Cowfish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter