• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Reserve HS or MK?

Koda

DIS Veteran
Our family of 5, including 3 DDs in their 20s will be in WDW, going to parks 8/8-8/12. One of my DDs is not sure if she will be able to make it the whole time (or at all) due to work and other committments. She won't know her schedule until sometime mid-July. I have reserved parks for the other 4 of us, and I got her a 2 day ticket just in case, and reserved our 2 HS days for her because I had heard that HS fills up the quickest. But now, when I look at park availability in July, MK is the park that does not have availability on certain days, and HS is still available. Is this the new trend? Do you think I should switch my DDs park days to MK? Or do you think there is any chance they will get rid of the park reservation thing by August, and we won't have to worry about it?

Thanks! This is starting to stress me out.

Park passes aren't going away. Not sure what to tell you about which park to reserve. HS has been the one that is most difficult due to ROTR, but if she really wants MK, maybe do one of each?

Park passes aren't going away. Not sure what to tell you about which park to reserve. HS has been the one that is most difficult due to ROTR, but if she really wants MK, maybe do one of each?

why do you think park passes are not going away?

why do you think park passes are not going away?
Disney's CEO stated on an earning call that park passes were here to stay, regardless of Covid. They allow operational efficiencies for Disney by allowing them to plan how much staff to have on a given day.

MK is likely seeing increased park pass interest due to fireworks returning on July 1 at MK but not at HS. I think they will both be in demand, and mid-July is awfully long to wait before making a decision given that even with capacity limits being raised, there are still parks selling out a month in advance. I think you are right to stress out a bit!

I would recommend you switch her passes to one MK and one HS day; then you have both days covered. Or better yet, just bite the bullet and upgrade her ticket now. If she can come for the whole trip, great, you'll all have park passes and be together. If not, you can buy her an extra 2-day ticket to use on this trip, and save the wholly unused 4-day ticket to be applied toward the cost of a ticket on a future trip.

Disney's CEO stated on an earning call that park passes were here to stay, regardless of Covid. They allow operational efficiencies for Disney by allowing them to plan how much staff to have on a given day.

MK is likely seeing increased park pass interest due to fireworks returning on July 1 at MK but not at HS. I think they will both be in demand, and mid-July is awfully long to wait before making a decision given that even with capacity limits being raised, there are still parks selling out a month in advance. I think you are right to stress out a bit!

I would recommend you switch her passes to one MK and one HS day; then you have both days covered. Or better yet, just bite the bullet and upgrade her ticket now. If she can come for the whole trip, great, you'll all have park passes and be together. If not, you can buy her an extra 2-day ticket to use on this trip, and save the wholly unused 4-day ticket to be applied toward the cost of a ticket on a future trip.

I’m not OP but I have a trip planned in October. I’m snagging 2 HS days for RotR and Railway, 1 Magic Kingdom day, and Boo Bash tix. I hope that covers us for those 2 parks. I’ve also made reservations for AK and Epcot for those park days.

MomOTwins, that is exactly what I just did! I bit the bullet and upgraded my daughter to a 4 day ticket this morning, and booked her in all of the same parks as the rest of us. I feel so much better! Good idea about getting her a different 2 day ticket if she cannot make it for the whole time, and saving the 4 day ticket for a future trip. But I am guessing I might lose her park reservations if we make that switch too close to our trip, correct?
By the way, I am also a Mom of Twins!

MomOTwins, that is exactly what I just did! I bit the bullet and upgraded my daughter to a 4 day ticket this morning, and booked her in all of the same parks as the rest of us. I feel so much better! Good idea about getting her a different 2 day ticket if she cannot make it for the whole time, and saving the 4 day ticket for a future trip. But I am guessing I might lose her park reservations if we make that switch too close to our trip, correct?
By the way, I am also a Mom of Twins!
Yay, hi fellow twin mom! I hope she can join you the whole trip. They won’t cancel park passes if you replace your first ticket with a valid new ticket in the system for the number of park passes. Do if you make the switch, I would cancel the excess park passes first, then switch out the tickets — modify the 4-day to another week (doesn’t matter what week sinceyou’ll be letting it expire without using and retaining the value for a future trip—You just don’t want two sets of tickets for the same dates because you don’t want the system to pull from the four day ticket when she scans into the park) and buy a 2 day replacement for your trip dates. That will leave you with two park passes for her and a two day ticket, so the system won’t cancel her passes.

Than you for the great advice! Now I can relax and enjoy the planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter