Resort Change by Disney

In normal times, I agree with you if all resorts were open. I just don’t agree that because someone is at a closed resort in July they should have been given priority to be moved into the open rooms because parks will be open over someone in June who was at the same closed resort.

Those who have resorts booked for July have their vacations already planned. They have their PTO arranged for those dates. They have their airfare booked. They have their pet sitters lined up. The parks will be open. They shouldn't have to miss out because Disney decides to keep their resorts closed while not allowing them access to the available rooms in other resorts.

June shouldn't take precedence over July just because June comes earlier in the calendar. Know what comes every earlier? March, April, and May. By this logic, the people who had reservations in the second half of March should have first dibs on the July inventory. Instead, all reservations for the last weeks of March, all of April, and all of May were simply cancelled. Why not cancel June the same way?

I personally was booked at 3 different resorts over a 10-night span. What did Disney offer me? Nothing. Sure, there was the "free" dining recovery that would have forced me to buy tickets I didn't need (since I already had tickets from my cancelled trip), but even that was pulled before the advertised deadline to book, and then converted into 35% off room rate, but only for those who already rebooked. Despite having a valid May reservation, I now cannot book anything. I'm at the back of the line along with the general public.

I accept that I had the bad luck to have planned a vacation during a pandemic shut down. I accept that my reservations were cancelled. For those booked vacations in July, I wish them all the best. They had the foresight (or dumb luck) to book for the earliest time Disney is open, and they shouldn't miss out on that because Disney decides to sell rooms they could occupy to other people.

I just got off of the phone for our stay beginning 7/4. We were booked at CBR in a standard room. We were moved to OKW 2 bedroom villa. I did not have to wait on hold for more than a few minutes and that was when the Special Teams CM was confirming that she was changing our reservation correctly.

I'm not familiar at all with OKW, is this a good trade? I know the room will be larger, but don't really know what else to expect!
Wow I would take a 2br at OKW instead they tried to give us a studio at SSR that doesnt sleep 5...

I just got off of the phone for our stay beginning 7/4. We were booked at CBR in a standard room. We were moved to OKW 2 bedroom villa. I did not have to wait on hold for more than a few minutes and that was when the Special Teams CM was confirming that she was changing our reservation correctly.

I'm not familiar at all with OKW, is this a good trade? I know the room will be larger, but don't really know what else to expect!
That is an amazing upgrade! We love OKW and the 2BR are HUGE!! Plus you will have a kitchen and washer/dryer.

It's a good trade. Google some pictures. The rooms are some of the biggest on property, and a 2BR Villa will be much nicer than a standard room. You'll have a kitchen, so you can make some of your own food or easily order delivery. Especially since you'll be resort-only for the start of your stay, you'll appreciate the extra space.

OKW is a big resort, and uses buses. So in that way, it's not as convenient as jumping on the skyliner, but since the skyliner isn't running, you'd be on buses everywhere at CBR anyway.

Can I ask how many were in your party?

Those who have resorts booked for July have their vacations already planned. They have their PTO arranged for those dates. They have their airfare booked. They have their pet sitters lined up. The parks will be open. They shouldn't have to miss out because Disney decides to keep their resorts closed while not allowing them access to the available rooms in other resorts.

June shouldn't take precedence over July just because June comes earlier in the calendar. Know what comes every earlier? March, April, and May. By this logic, the people who had reservations in the second half of March should have first dibs on the July inventory. Instead, all reservations for the last weeks of March, all of April, and all of May were simply cancelled. Why not cancel June the same way?

I personally was booked at 3 different resorts over a 10-night span. What did Disney offer me? Nothing. Sure, there was the "free" dining recovery that would have forced me to buy tickets I didn't need (since I already had tickets from my cancelled trip), but even that was pulled before the advertised deadline to book, and then converted into 35% off room rate, but only for those who already rebooked. Despite having a valid May reservation, I now cannot book anything. I'm at the back of the line along with the general public.

I accept that I had the bad luck to have planned a vacation during a pandemic shut down. I accept that my reservations were cancelled. For those booked vacations in July, I wish them all the best. They had the foresight (or dumb luck) to book for the earliest time Disney is open, and they shouldn't miss out on that because Disney decides to sell rooms they could occupy to other people.

That’s why we all get to decide how to view it. I am sure you have June and early July people with the same costs as the July people in place via airfare, sitters lined up, etc. So, that reasoning can apply to all.

Disney could have also said all closed resorts will be an auto cancel, regardless of parks being open. until the resort Is open, but not sure how that would be better,

Closed resort is a closed resort in my book... both guests are on even ground at that point.

ETA: July guests don’t know yet if their resort is closed, so why would it make sense to save rooms for them just in case..June and early a July guests do.

Last edited:
Wow I would take a 2br at OKW instead they tried to give us a studio at SSR that doesnt sleep 5...
I'm sorry! When they were still speaking about upgrades they asked what resort and I just said I didn't want to pay more than we had already. I felt bad when she said the 2 bedroom because we don't need the room (family of 4) but thought the kids may enjoy thier own room as it will probably never happen again!
Hopefully a different CM can give you a better option. The wait was nothing a few minutes ago.

Sorry. I've been in a Zoom meeting the last three hours. Yes. It's a studio. We were trying to keep it as affordable as possible. I would actually rather wait until next summer but my DD has been through so much with her grandma dying a few days ago and other things that I wanted to have something for her to look forward to.

So sorry to hear about grandma. I know that can be hard. I'm glad they got you moved.

No problem. I've been waiting to hear info about this vacation for eons, so waiting a bit isn't a big deal anymore. I'm hoping they will have studios left somewhere for us. Heck, at this point, I am thinking we might take whatever we can get. We do still have parks days with a DVC stay. I guess if we have to cancel the last 3 days it's not the end of the world.

We stayed at Universal Sapphire Falls this weekend and it was dead, as was all the properties we visited. Talking to a bartender at the pool and she said they are really hurting for resort guests and are currently at under 20% property wide. Makes me wonder what Disney makes of all this....I am sure they can see demand better than us and make decisions as needed. Portofino is closed not because is is not ready, it is closed because they don't have demand in bookings to open it because of the cost to operate it. I would assume that Disney may be thinking the same thing....open as demand warrants it.

Hoping it stays that way for our early July trip. We are staying at Hard Rock.

One more thing of note is it looks like you may have to ask to be moved so I can see a lot of people getting cancelled due to not knowing

Has anyone been moved from AKL Jambo yet on a resort only move, not a date change? Wondering where they are moving people to. Someone said upthread that they were trying to keep like with like, moving people from skyline resorts to Riviera, etc.
I posted this on another thread with no answer so thought I would try here. We are a split Poly/AKL Jambo staying on rented DVC points. We received an email to confirm about the Poly July 2-4. We haven’t received anything about AKL-J July 4-11. Since AKL-J will be closed, will DISNEY move us (prolly to Kidani) or does that move need to be through the rental company and then DVC? Starting to panic that we will only have a resort for two nights of our stay. Any words of wisdom?

We are in this boat as well. Jambo villa 7/6-7/10 cash. I'm going to start calling tomorrow about a move. This is only 4 nights of a 14 night stay. I CANNOT have a 4 night gap in the middle with nowhere to stay loll. I don't see it being Kidani. According to the DVC last minute rooms available (not sure how accuate this is) Kidani is not listed as having any openings and I wouldn't want to be there anyway. As much as I LOVE the resort and the animals, the food choices are extremely minimal.

To be honest, I don't understand the various moves. Seems some are being offered comparable rooms, while others won't fit in their room at all, to some getting extreme upgrades.

So is it better to call rather than wait for Disney to move you? I thought once you chose to "confirm" your trip that you were not supposed to call. I almost wish Disney would just update everybody's room in the app automatically and then just let us cancel or go. We go July 19 so I'm hoping we are in the next round of dates. All of the adults in our group are pushing to cancel and do Universal instead but I keep encouraging them to wait and see what Disney offers. Of course, we would be happy to stay at FQ too but I just want to know one way or the other.

I have July 13-16 at Pop with 4 day park hopper tix. I’m hoping for the best. I booked last minute the night before they announced the reopening plan.

To you veterans out there, what is your prediction of what will happen? And when will i find out?

I have July 13-16 at Pop with 4 day park hopper tix. I’m hoping for the best. I booked last minute the night before they announced the reopening plan.

To you veterans out there, what is your prediction of what will happen? And when will i find out?

I think we will get some more info by the end of the week that could give more specifics on the next set of dates...right now dealing through July 4th...and maybe some insight into resort open dates.

We are in this boat as well. Jambo villa 7/6-7/10 cash. I'm going to start calling tomorrow about a move. This is only 4 nights of a 14 night stay. I CANNOT have a 4 night gap in the middle with nowhere to stay loll. I don't see it being Kidani. According to the DVC last minute rooms available (not sure how accuate this is) Kidani is not listed as having any openings and I wouldn't want to be there anyway. As much as I LOVE the resort and the animals, the food choices are extremely minimal.

To be honest, I don't understand the various moves. Seems some are being offered comparable rooms, while others won't fit in their room at all, to some getting extreme upgrades.

I wish you the best of luck when you call and can’t wait to hear how it goes for you. I think because we rented points we are at the mercy of the broker and we then owner.

Family of 4. We've always stayed Moderate so never had a 2 bedroom and thought the kids would like the space. But I feel bad now that I see other parties of 5 aren't getting that option.
You will love it! We've stayed at OKW several times and that was our first resort on our trip this time that we cancelled. :( They are the largest DVC villas, you'll be rattling around in there with only 4 people. The only downside to OKW to me is the transportation. Where you're located will make a big difference. So if you can make room requests, do it! We always try for building 23-26. It's directly across from the hospitality house and has a bus stop right next to it. It's a short walk to the main pool also. We avoid near the hospitality house because it's the last pick up for the busses. During busy times, they're often full by the time they get there and if they're doing reduced capacity on the busses, it could be a real problem. Or, just use your own car. We used Minnie Vans leaving the resort, bus coming back, but they can be pricey. And ask for ground floor, there are no elevators except for 1 building as I recall, and it's close to the hospitality house. Take a look at touring plans room finder, it's really helpful!

Otherwise, you got a fantastic upgrade, enjoy!

But what we don’t know is whether Disney has already taken that into account and has a room for you to be moved to. Perhaps the June people are only being offered what’s left after reassigning the July and early August guests?

Idon’t know and Disney isn’t going to tell us.

that’s what I’m hoping!!

I had a reservation for Yacht Club for 4th of July which I called and they moved over to Beach Club Villas for me... now trying to decide whether we keep it because it's quite pricey for a trip with no Stormalong Bay or fireworks.

ETA: Villas as it was causing confusion

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter