Resort Change by Disney

Thank you so much!!! Can we add two more questions:
-How did you originally book your room? (Directly through Disney, TA, travel website)? [Those of us who used travel websites are especially curious about how this has worked out for others, since we don't have an actual TA and are at the mercy of the travel website's customer service dept.]
-How were you contacted about your resort's closure? [Some are getting an email, for some it's been via their TA. We're just curious about these trends, too.]

Party size would be really useful too!

We are scheduled to check in July 17-26th at ASMO. I hate the not knowing anything. Hopefully the next round of changes will go through the 11th and maybe give us some idea if anymore resorts will be opening. While an upgrade would be a nice surprise at this point I would just be glad to know for sure we can go this is our one week long vacation a year and we have not been able to come up with a backup plan.

We are scheduled to check in July 17-26th at ASMO. I hate the not knowing anything. Hopefully the next round of changes will go through the 11th and maybe give us some idea if anymore resorts will be opening. While an upgrade would be a nice surprise at this point I would just be glad to know for sure we can go this is our one week long vacation a year and we have not been able to come up with a backup plan.
They are probably waiting until the 12th they sent out an email for June 22-July 4 reservations to confirm by the 12th.

Is anyone booked for an Aoa suite? Curious to see where they would be moved. I have one booked in September, so things will probably be vastly different by then, but I would probably have to cancel if we were placed somewhere without 2 bathrooms. (4 adults, 1 kid, 2 babies!)

That’s why we all get to decide how to view it. I am sure you have June and early July people with the same costs as the July people in place via airfare, sitters lined up, etc. So, that reasoning can apply to all.

Disney could have also said all closed resorts will be an auto cancel, regardless of parks being open. until the resort Is open, but not sure how that would be better,

Closed resort is a closed resort in my book... both guests are on even ground at that point.

ETA: July guests don’t know yet if their resort is closed, so why would it make sense to save rooms for them just in case..June and early a July guests do.

Good morning. Thank you for this classy reply to my previous comment. This morning I re-read my comment from last night, and the tone comes across as more snarky than I realized when I wrote it. I still think it would be a raw deal for a July stay to be cancelled from June re-bookings into available resorts, but that's no reason for me to be snarky to you, and I'm sorry. I respect your opinion regarding June rebookings and all the work you've been doing on this thread to give updates and explanations of how DVC inventory works.

Good morning. Thank you for this classy reply to my previous comment. This morning I re-read my comment from last night, and the tone comes across as more snarky than I realized when I wrote it. I still think it would be a raw deal for a July stay to be cancelled from June re-bookings into available resorts, but that's no reason for me to be snarky to you, and I'm sorry. I respect your opinion regarding June rebookings and all the work you've been doing on this thread to give updates and explanations of how DVC inventory works.

I didn’t take it as snarky at all! So, no worries on my end! Like I said, no real winners in any of this,

The only plus for those with July reservations is they still have a chance to have their resort open by then!

Is anyone booked for an Aoa suite? Curious to see where they would be moved. I have one booked in September, so things will probably be vastly different by then, but I would probably have to cancel if we were placed somewhere without 2 bathrooms. (4 adults, 1 kid, 2 babies!)

This was not now, but when we were moved from the AOA suites, we were given a 2 br villa at OKW. With your numbers, a 2 br is all that will work. We had our choice of OKW or SS. While you may not have a choice, if they offer anything less than that, make them explain how it's going to work for you. But I fully expect by September, they won't be needing to move so many people, if any.

My wife and I will be there the same week with a 5 day park ticket. We are anxious to see what comes of park admission. We booked a backup trip at Cabana Bay at Universal just in case Disney falls through.

This was not now, but when we were moved from the AOA suites, we were given a 2 br villa at OKW. With your numbers, a 2 br is all that will work. We had our choice of OKW or SS. While you may not have a choice, if they offer anything less than that, make them explain how it's going to work for you. But I fully expect by September, they won't be needing to move so many people, if any.

I think we'll still see people moved in September. September is traditionally the slowest month (especially early September), so I don't see a big uptick in bookings to fill the resorts, even if Florida relaxes social distancing requirements by then. Plus, the NBA presence is going to cause a lot of people to get bumped, probably through October. Sounds like CSR is going to be the NBA resort of choice, which shouldn't affect those at AoA, but will still result in movement for a lot of others.

So is it better to call rather than wait for Disney to move you? I thought once you chose to "confirm" your trip that you were not supposed to call. I almost wish Disney would just update everybody's room in the app automatically and then just let us cancel or go. We go July 19 so I'm hoping we are in the next round of dates. All of the adults in our group are pushing to cancel and do Universal instead but I keep encouraging them to wait and see what Disney offers. Of course, we would be happy to stay at FQ too but I just want to know one way or the other.
Same here. We arrive August 5th. I did put a deposit down on Royal Pacific at Universal in case.
I’m just waiting it out to see what is going to happen. Disney really needs to announce their plans with all guests on exactly what they are doing with those who have reservations. We need details! Disney seems to be l over the place. They need to for at least for those booked in July and August.

I'm filled with so much anxiety about whether or not they'll have a place to move me, whether or not my AP extension will be done in enough time to allow me to get park reservations, etc, that I've almost got myself talked into throwing in the towel and planning something else. Planning has always been part of the fun for me. With so many unknowns, I'm not having fun anymore.

But they are...we are at Pop starting 7/26 and if Pop isn’t open yet and we can’t be moved bc there isn’t space in another property as a result of letting people who booked during our stay from when the parks were closed. We have tickets with those dates and a room reserved. Seems like we should have first take on those available rooms.

My perspective ... from someone who went from having a 4 night stay July 1-5 at Movies... which we were really excited about with the refurbs and great food court to having to make a switch (or cancel or get a free move when the parks aren't open) to a villa studio at more than double the price... which we are paying ... more than double what we planned.

Then people speculate that maybe the next grouping (July 5 and later) might get moved to deluxe villas at no extra cost and that's awesome for them but we could say it's not fair for us to pay rack rate and they get moved for nothing. (Or they could get moved and have to pay rack after all).

Now that's how I could look at it but I'm not because there's not one answer that will be perfect for everyone and still have enough revenue for Disney to make it work.

My inclination is that once they've filled the villas with us rack-raters they will start opening the resort portions of the deluxes in a certain order so they will have enough rooms for anyone with a reservation. I'm just not sure if you'll get a awesome free upgrade or have to pay rack difference or if they'll start applying the discounts you had before.

I guess my main point is, I understand the concern about losing your option to have a room to the earlier ressies but I really don't think that will happen. So, the main question will be will it be to your advantage in terms of comfort and $ or your disadvantage.

Hopefully this message doesn't' come across as negative. I'm typing a few sentences at a time while doing other things.

I'm currently booked at an MK deluxe resort. If my resort isn't open and I'm moved, I would hope it would be to another MK resort since that's what I'm paying for...but at the end of the day, I'll be happy just to go.

So an update. This is what I have been told by WDW. If one books a RO reservation through a TA, the TA receives all correspondence, such as the e mails sent out about the closure, information about modifying, rebooking, cancelling etc. Only if one has a package does Disney make direct contact.
So basically, it seems that my TA received emails from WDW on 28/29 May and took it upon herself to request a refund, rather than modify or rebook, in order to speed up the refund process. I am putting it down to human error due to a work overload and drawing a line under it.

So an update. This is what I have been told by WDW. If one books a RO reservation through a TA, the TA receives all correspondence, such as the e mails sent out about the closure, information about modifying, rebooking, cancelling etc. Only if one has a package does Disney make direct contact.
So basically, it seems that my TA received emails from WDW on 28/29 May and took it upon herself to request a refund, rather than modify or rebook, in order to speed up the refund process. I am putting it down to human error due to a work overload and drawing a line under it.
Oh man...that suuuuccckkksss. Is she apologetic about it? I'm glad you finally figured it out, though. :(

I wonder, for those with park hoppers already reserved. Since we can only choose a park a day, do you think Disney will refund the difference?

I would bet, 99% chance that Disney will refund the park hopper portion.

I'm currently booked at an MK deluxe resort. If my resort isn't open and I'm moved, I would hope it would be to another MK resort since that's what I'm paying for...but at the end of the day, I'll be happy just to go.

Yeah, this is my biggest concern. We are in theme park view rooms at the Contemporary and the Poly. I hope and pray that those resorts are open. If they aren't I imagine every other option will be a downgrade. BUT I think the deluxes will open by the times the parks opens so hopefully that doesn't apply to us.

You, sir, are taking this "error" much better than many people I know. Personally, I'd be furious!

I'm glad you finally found out the reason.

Yes, I have a cash booking for Jambo 6/22-25. Didn’t want to switch dates, just reduce to 2 nights if possible, but fine with keeping all 3 if modifying was an issue. CM said only Kidani was open and she was trying to move me there. She put me on hold for awhile while she contacted Guest Services, then came back and said she couldn’t do it and this special group assigned to pre-park opening reservations would be reaching out to me with options.

I didn't want to keep waiting for the phone call so I called again today. Got right through, no hold time at all. First person transferred me to the special team, who then transferred me to someone else, but again, no wait times at all for any of them. I was given the choice to keep dates as they were (6/22-25), modify to dates after July 11, or cancel. I asked if I could modify the arrival date to 6/23 and was told no, that would trigger a need to move after July 11.

They offered me a 1 bedroom villa at Kidani, which I happily accepted. It is a savannah view just like my original Jambo room reservation. No change in price for the room and getting a refund back for the tickets part of my package.

You, sir, are taking this "error" much better than many people I know. Personally, I'd be furious!
Yeah i would be too. I would at the very least make sure the TA knows that i know what really happened. And i would not be using them again. Didn't the TA say that Disney cancelled it? If so, then they knew they erred and tried to cover it by placing blame on Disney. Not ok.
We all make mistakes, but we need to own up to them when we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter