Resort Change by Disney

I have a very similar situation but I haven't heard of anyone being moved from non-park-open-dates to park-open-dates without having to pay the hefty room increase $. Mine went up almost $900 for a four night stay. I'm with you... I can't do the cash increase.
Just remember, the default right now is that nobody can book or modify a resort at the moment. People with stays before July 4 are the exception: they currently have the option to book DVC or ft wilderness at rack rates after the park opens—-but nobody else can book anything. If you cancel your trip, you’ll be able to book a new reservation along with everyone else when they open up the resort reservation stay agai.

But I would strongly encourage you to book at rack rates now to get access to the park reservation system. Once you have your new park tickets, you can try to modify the resort once they open up resort booking to everyone (and perhaps open up booking at moderates again). With the ability to cancel 24 hours ahead, what have you got to lose?

Just remember, the default right now is that nobody can book or modify a resort at the moment. People with stays before July 4 are the exception: they currently have the option to book DVC or ft wilderness at rack rates after the park opens—-but nobody else can book anything. If you cancel your trip, you’ll be able to book a new reservation along with everyone else when they open up the resort reservation stay agai.

But I would strongly encourage you to book at rack rates now to get access to the park reservation system. Once you have your new park tickets, you can try to modify the resort once they open up resort booking to everyone (and perhaps open up booking at moderates again). With the ability to cancel 24 hours ahead, what have you got to lose?

Agreed. That is pretty much why I made the modification and am keeping it for now. Who knows what might happen next.

When I booked my July 1st to 8th trip at POR - and received the Passholder discount - the parks were going to be open during that stay. COVID-19 was not even thought of then.

Why are the Disney executives taking my Passholder discount away? Why are they refusing to change our dates unless we can afford the extra money? If those executives could see my cancer radiation bills, they would understand. There are times that any one of us could hit some difficult heath and financial times. WHY WON’T THEY OPEN A VALUE OR MODERATE FOR US ???

I stay Moderate because that is what we can afford. I cannot do an extra $1,900 for a cabin.
I am not asking for a free Deluxe stay. I did not pay for a Deluxe.
Why can’t they open ONE Value or Moderate for people like me who NEED a Disney vacation more than ever?!?! I just don’t understand!

I need a ride on Haunted Mansion! That will fix things!

...I stay Moderate because that is what we can afford. I cannot do an extra $1,900 for a cabin.
Why can’t they open ONE Value or Moderate for people like me who NEED a Disney vacation more than ever?!?! I just don’t understand!...
Have you considered staying offsite? I know it takes away from the magic, but your AP status may possibly give you access to the parks without a resort stay. I'm just saying: It's not ideal, or what you initially wanted, but don't give up hope yet!! If you can snag a park reservation with your AP, there are still Disney Springs resorts with availability and you could snag a balcony room for under $150. Best wishes!

We have been staying at Disney resorts since 2000. We never stayed off property.
I agree that off property might be the answer. But - my daughter said no.

It certainly beats not going! I will ask again. And again. And again. And again.
Thanks, NOLA!

This is correct. All who are receiving free upgrades are going when the parks are not open (June 22-July 4). We have no idea how Disney plans to handle anything after July 4th but currently, anyone switching their resort dates to when the parks are open, are having to pay the change in resort costs.

Maybe if I were local I would want to go stay at a resort when the parks are not open but not being local I wouldn't go there just for the resort. Kind of crappy of Disney to stick the change in resort costs to folks who want to be there when the parks are open. I could pay the additional $900 or as is the case with @wendow the additional $1900 but I wouldn't.

Why are the Disney executives taking my Passholder discount away? Why are they refusing to change our dates unless we can afford the extra money?
Because their priority right now is maximizing profits, not guest satisfaction. They also don’t actually want to encourage people to come and are actively doing what they can to discourage it. Making someone pay rack rate at some of their most expensive hotels is a darn good way to do that.

Welcome to Saratoga Springs-the Happiest-Crappiest place on property outside of Hollywood and Vine.
Actually SSR us a great resort. The landscaping has grown in beautifully. It has a plethora of pools, two with fun slides. The quick service is amazing and offers some great options. You can walk to either side of Disney Springs or take a boat to the middle. Running and biking is amazing. The only bad thing about SSR is that it is large but in times like these, that can be a good thing.

Actually SSR us a great resort. The landscaping has grown in beautifully. It has a plethora of pools, two with fun slides. The quick service is amazing and offers some great options. You can walk to either side of Disney Springs or take a boat to the middle. Running and biking is amazing. The only bad thing about SSR is that it is large but in times like these, that can be a good thing.
I'm happy it's great for some folks it's just bottom tier for me.

Maybe if I were local I would want to go stay at a resort when the parks are not open but not being local I wouldn't go there just for the resort. Kind of crappy of Disney to stick the change in resort costs to folks who want to be there when the parks are open. I could pay the additional $900 or as is the case with @wendow the additional $1900 but I wouldn't.
I think you are confusing me with another poster. My trip is at the end of July so I have no idea how mine will be handled. I do know that we won’t be paying rack rates at deluxe or for FW cabins.

We have been staying at Disney resorts since 2000. We never stayed off property.
I agree that off property might be the answer. But - my daughter said no.

It certainly beats not going! I will ask again. And again. And again. And again.
Thanks, NOLA!

Or maybe check out some of the Bonnet Creek resorts. When I checked a few weeks ok the prices were decent for the end of July and the location is great.

I rarely stay off property but I think we will end up doing so this year. They have taken away almost all the benefits for staying onsite.

When I booked my July 1st to 8th trip at POR - and received the Passholder discount - the parks were going to be open during that stay. COVID-19 was not even thought of then.

Why are the Disney executives taking my Passholder discount away? Why are they refusing to change our dates unless we can afford the extra money? If those executives could see my cancer radiation bills, they would understand. There are times that any one of us could hit some difficult heath and financial times. WHY WON’T THEY OPEN A VALUE OR MODERATE FOR US ???

I stay Moderate because that is what we can afford. I cannot do an extra $1,900 for a cabin.
Why can’t they open ONE Value or Moderate for people like me who NEED a Disney vacation more than ever?!?! I just don’t understand!

There is no passholder discount for the days you wish to change to. This is no different than if you had booked an AP discount for September and wanted to change to Christmas week. As much as it sucks, they are being consistent.

They current policy is if you keep your dates, for stays that fall between June 22-July 4, they will move you to an open resort of their choosing at no increased cost to you. If you want to change your dates, you will pay the cost increase, even if that means rack rates.

They aren't opening Value and Moderate resorts because they don't need to. They MUST open the DVC resorts due to timeshare laws. I don't know why they are opening the Fort but I'm sure that a lot of campers are pleased. My assumption is because it doesn't require bringing back a lot of housekeepers since RVs and tents don't require them. Since Disney feels that they can accommodate all onsite guests between the Fort and DVC, that's where everyone with a reservation elsewhere is being moved.

I know that you would rather be at Disney when the parks are open. Unfortunately, that's just not going to work given the dates you want and your budget. Have you considered pushing your trip into the fall or winter? As things pick up, more resorts will open. Maybe even a couple of the Value and Moderate resorts. Not all, but some. Although, I have a feeling that it will be the Deluxe resorts with DVC attached that will open next.

There is no passholder discount for the days you wish to change to. This is no different than if you had booked an AP discount for September and wanted to change to Christmas week. As much as it sucks, they are being consistent.

There's a huge difference between me initiating a change in dates and me having to change dates because they are not open during a time they happily took my deposit and booked me for. It's outrageous that they refuse to at least honor previous discounts. Being consistently outrageous doesn't make it better.

I find it very frustrating that Disney still can't even announce which resorts will be open in July. I can't imagine they don't have a a plan, and obviously thousands of people have reservations and have no idea if they will even have a place to stay. I am booked July 20 at yacht and it is getting close to 30 days. I understand all the changes in the parks etc. and I am still willing to go, but not even knowing if we have a resort is getting frustrating. I already purchased plane tickets, and this is the second time we re-scheduled due to COVID, got the free dinning which is gone as well. I think it is time they put their plans on the table and let everyone know what to expect. It is not that easy planning a trip to another state. There are scheduling issues with work, pet care, school issues and I don't think it is unreasonable to have at least 30 days to know if you are even going!! I am normally a very positive person and love Disney, but I think this is just bad customer service.

I find it very frustrating that Disney still can't even announce which resorts will be open in July. I can't imagine they don't have a a plan, and obviously thousands of people have reservations and have no idea if they will even have a place to stay. I am booked July 20 at yacht and it is getting close to 30 days. I understand all the changes in the parks etc. and I am still willing to go, but not even knowing if we have a resort is getting frustrating. I already purchased plane tickets, and this is the second time we re-scheduled due to COVID, got the free dinning which is gone as well. I think it is time they put their plans on the table and let everyone know what to expect. It is not that easy planning a trip to another state. There are scheduling issues with work, pet care, school issues and I don't think it is unreasonable to have at least 30 days to know if you are even going!! I am normally a very positive person and love Disney, but I think this is just bad customer service.
I am right there with you! I totally understand! I'm trying to be positive and understanding, but I am getting so frustrated! Our reservation is 24 days away and we have no idea what is happening. We aren't able to confirm or modify our reservation yet as our trip begins July 5th. We have pet care to reserve and a house rental following our trip which I guess I'm going to have to cancel since I don't know what's happening with my reservation. The last day to cancel it and get 100% refund is tomorrow. I would just like to have some clarity and some sort of plan in place. Sigh. I think I am slowly losing my mind...I am having stress dreams about my reservations now :P

There's a huge difference between me initiating a change in dates and me having to change dates because they are not open during a time they happily took my deposit and booked me for. It's outrageous that they refuse to at least honor previous discounts. Being consistently outrageous doesn't make it better.
You can rail on and on about this in numerous threads but Disney has never extended discounts once the window has shut. Nor have they offered AP discounts when they really have no need to fill beds. In fact, they have quite the opposite problem right now.

Yes, it sucks. Everything to do with this damn virus sucks. But you know what? At the end of all this, I want to see Disney survive. And if survival means limiting access to the parks, reducing resort availability by disincentivizing new reservations and eliminating fireworks & parades for a while, then so be it. No one is forced to take a Disney vacation. Spend your money elsewhere. A lot of people are. Disney's communication thru all of this has been horrible.

I feel for you. This is definitely an incredibly frustrating situation, and it stinks that yours dates ended up being impacted. It really does.

It is less costly for Disney to move people to DVC resorts as opposed to opening a full value or moderate since DVC resorts are already in a level of operation. For a variety of legal reasons, Disney had to open DVC. It does not have to open other reaorts for the same reasons. As the year moves on, it is probably likely that more resorts will open, but we just do not have that information yet. There are a lot of factors that will play into that and the large tour and sport groups that typically stay at values not coming will have a big impact. I would wait and see how things play out if you have your heart set on being on-site and are able to go at a different time this year. If you are stuck with the July timeframe for other reasons, maybe explore some good neighbor hotels. This crazy time could be the opportunity to have a new hotel adventure.

Let’s be fair when people booked Disney didn’t know parks wouLd be closed for something like this. People can cancel. Disney could have just said, either keep dates and we will move you to an open resort for no cost or cancel,

They did not have to allow people first shot at taking other dates in open resorts. There have already been a few posts from people who are not happy that current guests with these trips are being given that option.

Also, anyone who rebooks and a discount is announced or other resorts open, they will be able to change. I certainly sympathize but there are many guests who are still going and being upgraded and not being charged, It is a no win because no matter what they do, someone will be upset...including people who are at those DVC resorts paying a higher rate to start.

I think they have held off because they have to make sure the park reservation system is up and running so they can execute which plan will be in place.

It is frustrating but so far, since they announced park opening, we have gotten updates more regularly. I am feeling good that we will hear the next round of resorts in less than a week.

It is frustrating for sure..I have an early August trip and some of my guests are not deciding until we know if we have parks for the 3 days they will be with us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter