Resort Charging Privlages

WLfamily

Mouseketeer
I just completed online check-in which is a first for me. It already had my cc on file and asked if this was the correct card for resort charges or add a different card.
Here's my question: I have quite a few Disney gift cards we're traveling with. I would love to charge purchases back to my resort, and then go nightly and pay the balance with the gift cards. Is there a way I can have my cc removed at the front desk and do this? Obviously I can't pay my cc balance with Disney gift cards. :confused3

in order to charge anything to your room you must have a CC on file.
you can then go pay nightly with gift cards but you can't just charge to your room without a CC guarantee.

in order to charge anything to your room you must have a CC on file.
you can then go pay nightly with gift cards but you can't just charge to your room without a CC guarantee.

Perfect!! So they keep my cc on file, but don't charge it until I sign. That way I can pay with cash or GC, is that how it works?

I believe there's a limit to how much you can charge before your CC is charged and I want to say that limit differs per resort category?

I'm pretty sure on our last trip our card was charged once we hit $500 and that was staying at AOA.

Value resorts have a limit of $500. Moderates have a $1000 limit. I'm not sure about deluxes.

I'm pretty sure deluxes have a limit of $1500 before your card is charged.

OP, I plan on doing the same as you. I have tons of gift cards and will pay down my account every few days.

Perfect!! So they keep my cc on file, but don't charge it until I sign.

there's no process of having you sign something before they charge the card. There's an amount depending on type of resort, as laid out above, but people have recently reported that resorts are charging earlier than those amounts. So make sure you are going every evening to put down the gcs.

Or just use the gift certs at the time of purchase. That's what I would do. I've never understood why people want to put on that extra step!

Unless they have changed recently the limits are $500 Value, $1000 Moderate and $1500 Deluxe and Deluxe Villas.
You need a credit card to charge back to the room. We have never been able to put the Gift Card amounts on the account in advance. We were only able to pay down room charges with them
Also be sure to pay your balance with your gift card the night before you check out as they run the credit card through in the early AM (like 2 AM) the morning of check out

On my April trip with DD and her family, I put most of the meal charges on my room. DD and I went to the front desk twice so she could pay some of that with her gift cards. The first time was uneventful. But when we went to do that on the day before check-out, my credit card had already been charged because I had gone over $500. (At POP) But, the cast member was able to use the gift cards to give me a credit on my cc. So, we were still able to use the gift cards for DD to pay (part) of what she owed me.

Perfect!! So they keep my cc on file, but don't charge it until I sign. That way I can pay with cash or GC, is that how it works?

The credit card on file will be charged on the day you check in only if you still have a balance due on your room. If your room is paid in full at check in then your credit card will not be charged until either you check out or you hit one of the pre determined maximums, which have already been mentioned. :)

So, if you go to the front desk you can use your gift cards as long as you do it the night before you check out or before you hit one of the spending limits. Even if they do charge your credit card you can have them reverse the charge and put it on the gift card instead. :)

Last edited:
...Or just use the gift certs at the time of purchase. That's what I would do. I've never understood why people want to put on that extra step!

I buy my GCs at Target using my Red Card to get the 5% off, so they're all in $50 denominations.

If I were to just use the GCs for purchases, every day I'd have to figure out how many GCs do I need to bring with me to the park today? Or keep track of how much of a balance a particular gift card has. Or deal with shuffling through them when trying to make a purchase "Here, use this one for part of it, and this one for the rest of it, if there's enough on it."

I just find it easier to charge everything to my magic band then stop by the front desk every few days to pay it down.

I use gift cards, and use them to pay directly instead of charging to room. You can also put gift cards on your room acct at front desk or concierge desk. Then every few days go get a room charge statement from concierge desk.
I've done it both ways. But I like paying with GCs best, over Room charge because you get a balance of what's left each time you use GC to pay.

You have to have a CC on file in order to charge to your room, but you can pay all or part up your bill anything before your check out date using gift cards, cash, different credit card,etc.

I did online checkin with a CC at OKW but the night before checkout, I stopped at front desk to pay using gift cards. My CC on file was never charged.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter