Resort days before cruise?

Peaseblossom36

Mouseketeer
We have a cruise booked next year in February and I was wanting to tack two-three days on the front as a buffer in case of winter weather causing flight delays. I'm thinking of choosing a deluxe or DVC resort and just having those as resort days. It's my parents, myself + husband and our daughter who will be turning 4 during the trip.

Has anyone done just resort days? I know a lot of people do parks before a cruise, but we're trying to keep this somewhat budget friendly and keep everyone healthy before boarding.

We've done a few resort-only days. My initial reaction was Beach Club/Yacht Club/Beach Club Villas. But with their main pool closed the first few months of 2025, that would take away a big appeal for us. BC/YC/BCV does give you a walking option for mini golf, if you might enjoy that.

The next resort that we've done is Animal Kingdom Lodge (and love) - so much to do and see at the resort, 2 pools, some of the best dining options on property. Finally, perhaps Saratoga, with it being a simple walk from Disney Springs and many dining/shopping options there. So it really depends on what you might like to do!!

We've done a few resort-only days. My initial reaction was Beach Club/Yacht Club/Beach Club Villas. But with their main pool closed the first few months of 2025, that would take away a big appeal for us. BC/YC/BCV does give you a walking option for mini golf, if you might enjoy that.

The next resort that we've done is Animal Kingdom Lodge (and love) - so much to do and see at the resort, 2 pools, some of the best dining options on property. Finally, perhaps Saratoga, with it being a simple walk from Disney Springs and many dining/shopping options there. So it really depends on what you might like to do!!
We stayed at AKL in September and was thinking that may be nice, if we could manage to get a 1 bedroom at jambo. I didn't like Kidani as much. I was thinking mostly pool time since the ones of the ship are so cramped. As much as I love the parks, the cruise is the focus this trip.

Your plan sounds good to me. We have a cruise in Nov and we are going down 5 days early, no stress about weather and we plan to relax at the resort.

We just got back from a resort trip with our daughter, 4,6 year old grandkids and my daughter's friend and her 3 year old. They had 3 full days plus travel days, we stayed longer. They were in a 2bd and we were in a 1 bd at OKW. It was a wonderful trip. Day one was the pool then a trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge to see the animals. Second day was more pool, a boat ride to Disney Springs and dinner at Chef Mickey's along with a monorail ride, and the last day was pool and Skyliner from DHS to Riviera and playing in the sand. We also went to the community center each day, which they enjoyed. We had to use Disney transportation to everything because they didn't all have car seats. That was a treat for them too since they were able to stand and hold on, luckily they were fine.

After the kids left we had 5 more relaxing days, but we did go into the park one day.

Yes, we've done it (well, let's say I tried to do it, but ended up buying 1 day tickets to AK while we were there). We stayed at AKL for a resort-only trip and it was really fun. One caveat, February weather can be hit or miss in Orlando, so I wouldn't count on pool days - I would make sure to pick a resort that has enough to entertain you for those days without going to the parks.

When I stay at a Deluxe Resort (AKL, Aulani), it is for the resort - and I don’t leave the property for activities. I am paying too much to treat it as just a place to just sleep and shower.

I would highly recommend Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was in the lowest price room and still had a view of the Savanna, seeing the animals when I did afternoon check-in. The resort had activities listed, perhaps stories around the fire pit, s’mores, movies or sing- a- longs. Boma restaurant has a buffet breakfast (with unlimited Jungle Juice / POG) and dinner.

If staying a few days, you could also go to Disney Springs for meals (WDW bus service) or play some mini-golf.

Resorts whose main draw is a great pool may not be a great choice. I was at AKL in a January visit and found the heated pool to be too cool for me, but I am a wimp.

Be sure to have travel insurance on your hotel stay (insure one person per room) in case you do have to miss for weather.

We have a cruise booked next year in February and I was wanting to tack two-three days on the front as a buffer in case of winter weather causing flight delays. I'm thinking of choosing a deluxe or DVC resort and just having those as resort days. It's my parents, myself + husband and our daughter who will be turning 4 during the trip.

Has anyone done just resort days? I know a lot of people do parks before a cruise, but we're trying to keep this somewhat budget friendly and keep everyone healthy before boarding.
We just did this in late January, with 3 nights at SSR using our DVC points. We usually do a similar resort-only stay prior to a winter cruise, since we fly from the midwest and might encounter weather delays. We have also stayed at Disney’s Vero Beach resort pre-cruise in past years, but avoided it this year because the pool was being renovated at the time we were traveling.

We just did this in late January, with 3 nights at SSR using our DVC points. We usually do a similar resort-only stay prior to a winter cruise, since we fly from the midwest and might encounter weather delays. We have also stayed at Disney’s Vero Beach resort pre-cruise in past years, but avoided it this year because the pool was being renovated at the time we were traveling.
We are also in the midwest! I didn't know that Vero Beach was so close, I'll have to look into that one.

We spent 2 nights in a studio at Boulder Ridge before our Wish cruises in May. We got to the resort around 3:30pm the first day and didn’t do much beyond eating a quick service dinner and relaxing. The next day was a pool day with dinner at Steakhouse 71.

It was actually a pretty relaxing way to start the cruise. Two nights was enough to get us in vacation mode.

I love a resort stay only before hand. Polynesian is my favorite. On the monorail-you can resort hop. Disney springs, mini golf. If you have a rental car you can shop in the Orlando area. Great way to start things off-enjoy!

I love your plan and would 100% go for it! I'd choose a resort with great pools and recreation (such as AKL or Yacht/Beach/Boardwalk) or something close to Disney Springs.

We do this before every cruise. We come from the west coast so we like to have a couple of days to get used to the time change and just in case we have flight delays. We usually always stay at POFQ and love to take the boat ride to Disney Springs for the food. We also like to take buses from there to do resort visits. After the cruise we like to spend a couple of weeks doing the parks and then fly home to rest up from that!

I've done plenty of resort days if you include during theme park trips. The deluxe/DVC resorts are fantastic for these. Great pools, access to plenty of food and activities, and sometimes fireworks views. You can also still do Disney springs or resort hop.

I'm planning to do this for a big family cruise in April 2025. We plan to do two nights before the cruise at AKL. Some people in my party are skeptical of what there will be to fill our time with a resort day but I think it will be great. We will be traveling with two 4 year olds and a 9 year old (cousins). My son is one of the 4 year olds and it will be his first big trip. I'm almost as excited about the resort stay as I am about the cruise.

We are also in the midwest! I didn't know that Vero Beach was so close, I'll have to look into that one.
VB is about a two-hour drive from WDW, a bit more than an hour drive south of Port Canaveral, so you do need a rental car when staying there. It’s a lovely resort.

We haven't done just resort days prior to a cruise but every trip to WDW includes at least one resort only day (usually resort + resort-hopping) and one Disney Springs day. Resort day usually includes sleeping in, pool time, a leisurely meal (either at our resort or another one), and a trip to 1-3 other resorts, usually with an intent to snack, have a drink and shop. And often lounging around the room watching TV or reading. If we had kids (we don't), we'd probably be doing more of the resort activities.

We are doing a cruise on the Fantasy in April and have one night booked the night before at the WL. We arrive at MCO around 9:00 am. The plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs, then relax in the afternoon at the resort and enjoy a dinner at Narcoossee's around 8:00 PM. We also have 3 nights post cruise at BC and will be visiting the parks, but that is another story.

We are doing a cruise on the Fantasy in April and have one night booked the night before at the WL. We arrive at MCO around 9:00 am. The plan is to spend some time at Disney Springs, then relax in the afternoon at the resort and enjoy a dinner at Narcoossee's around 8:00 PM. We also have 3 nights post cruise at BC and will be visiting the parks, but that is another story.
I think my parents would love WL. I don't think they've been on a real vacation since 2004. I was thinking it may be fun to try to stay at the GF since that's where we stayed when we went, but something different may be more exciting.

I don't think I could talk everyone else into adding days after 😅

We love just resort days! Our upcoming trip will end with a few days just enjoying AKL at the request of DS. We did the bead activities for the first time when he was around the age of your little one and he still remembers it. All the activities and animals mean there's plenty to do, or just sit around and relax. Plus the pools are fun and so big compared to the ship.

I’m not a lover of ld Key West for park visits but for resort stays it is ideal. Bigger rooms and boat ride to nearby Disney Springs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter