• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort for Portraits

Belle0

Earning My Ears
My husband and I will be doing a Disney Fine Art Photography mini portrait session in February.
We can pick any resort we want to have it at (it’s a 20 minute session).
We will pick what to wear based on the location chosen.

I have stayed at all the resorts at least once so I know the theming and they all have positive points.

However, are there any suggestions on which one to pick and some good picture locations in that specific resort?

We did the portrait session two years ago at Beach Club so we will want to branch out to a different resort.

Last edited:
My first thought is, do you have a specific outfit you plan to wear or are you going to base it off your location once you choose one? That will play heavily if you did have outfits already
Good point!
We will base it after we have the location. Thanks for asking! I’ll update my post.

When we were staying at Boardwalk in August, we saw a family having this done and I watched...SO wanting to do this for my family! They took some photos on the boardwalk with some surrey bikes which looked great....some looking out over at the Beach Club, some on the lawn.....I wish I saw how those photos turned out because they really looked great being shot! Friends of ours had a vow renewal ceremony and then did photos on the beach at the Polynesian which were lovely. All of the locations are so nice, I am sure wherever you end up going the photos will be spectacular!

Because you have done Beach Club I would eliminate Yacht Club and Boardwalk, as they are so similar in their themes. At least to me, Boardwalk is still very "beach like"

I would probably give serious thoughts to either WL or AKL as they are very different from BC and the photos will look so different. AKL would probably be my first choice but the outdoor areas at WL are lovely, it is hard to beat too. I'm not sure I could pick, quite honestly. But, in February it could be cool and if I had to go indoors, AKL would win.

I had some family pictures taken at Caribbean Beach Resort, mainly on the cay. They turned out beautiful. I'm not sure if the construction has affected that area too. We hired an outside photographer (who used to work for Disney photography) and she was amazing.

I would also consider the Polynesian as a great place for shots too. Really beautiful grounds.

Here are some shots:
LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200065-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200028-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200047-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200048-M.jpg

We've done two sessions at the Poly. I like that resort for the variety of settings: There's the beach, the grotto near the luau (I think) with lots of greenery, and you can't beat a shot with Cinderella Castle in the background.

If we ever do it again, I'm leaning toward Animal Kingdom Lodge just because it's our favorite resort.

The Claw.jpgOn the bridge.jpg Family portrait at Poly, July 2016.JPG Boys portrait at Poly, July 2016.JPG On the beach with the castle.jpg

My husband and I will be doing a Disney Fine Art Photography mini portrait session in February.
We can pick any resort we want to have it at (it’s a 20 minute session).
We will pick what to wear based on the location chosen.

I have stayed at all the resorts at least once so I know the theming and they all have positive points.

However, are there any suggestions on which one to pick and some good picture locations in that specific resort?

We did the portrait session two years ago at Beach Club so we will want to branch out to a different resort.

We did an Enhanced Portrait Session at the Wilderness Lodge in December and I loved the location for the scenery. The waterfall, woods, lake, all made for beautiful backdrops. Sadly, I was not happy with the photos we received. However, I expressed my displeasure with DFAP and they are giving us another session, but we will probably have to wait until our next family vacation in December as we can't squeeze it into our quick March weekend trip.

My biggest piece of advice is to tell the photographer EXACTLY what you want. I did, but he obviously didn't listen and I wish I had been more vocal when he was shooting pictures of just my husband and I or just of my son. But I figured we had an hour and we'd get what we wanted, but we didn't. With only 20 minutes, I wouldn't waste time on shots you don't want.

I like the poly pics with the castle in the back ground and the other tropical back drop pictures!! At least with those pics you know you are at disney vs just other pics at some other tropical location.

I just booked an engagement shoot at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I looked at a lot of pictures online and it seems really different from the other locations. Polynesian was our second choice, love the castle in the background.

I just booked an engagement shoot at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I looked at a lot of pictures online and it seems really different from the other locations. Polynesian was our second choice, love the castle in the background.

where did you look online?

Thank you everyone! This has been helpful. Ended up deciding on Wilderness Lodge this time around. So many great resorts. Now the work of researching possible places around the resort / poses.
Less than two weeks for my trip to start!

Be sure to come back and post some of your photos! This is something I would really like to do with our family on an upcoming trip :)

I had some family pictures taken at Caribbean Beach Resort, mainly on the cay. They turned out beautiful. I'm not sure if the construction has affected that area too. We hired an outside photographer (who used to work for Disney photography) and she was amazing.

I would also consider the Polynesian as a great place for shots too. Really beautiful grounds.

Here are some shots:
LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200065-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200028-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200047-M.jpg

LaClair-Bogedain%20Family%20-%200048-M.jpg

These are lovely! Would you mind sharing the name of your photographer? I can PM you if you prefer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter