Resort hopping.....love it or hate it??

We did them the last two trips and I’m not a fan. We pack a lot of toiletries and it’s a pain to pack and unpack and pack. Even though I use ziplocks and all that everything gets wet and something ends up leaking. I like to unpack and settle in. I also don’t feel settled in and on vacation until we get to our second hotel (I would never consider moving 3 times) We also like to do midday breaks in our room or pool (we don’t change in the dressing rooms or bathrooms) and this messes with our plans.

When we did the poly/BC split it was worth it. Still a big pain with two kids though. When we did POFQ two nights followed by a week at BWV I didn’t feel like my vacation truly started until we got to BWV.

I would consider another split but it would have to be worth my while. I would consider one to try out CRT TPV for a night or two.

Next trip we are doing 9 nights at CSR. Even DD asked to not do a split stay this trip.

I always do a split stay, usually a moderate first and then a deluxe for the last portion. I don't think I'd try changing three times. I can live out of a suitcase so changing resorts is no big deal for me. I usually go to Disney Springs on the day the change occurs. I'm doing a split stay this December; 3 nights at POFQ followed by 4 nights at WL.

We did a split stay 4 years ago to try to save a little money by doing mod 4 nights and then YC 4 nights. We did pool day on our move day. But we had our car so had 2 sets of bags packed for both resorts... We did miss having a MK resort so next time we did split stay at Epcot resort and MK one. We liked being able to have easy access to three parks. We're doing it again for our upcoming trip next week. But I think having our car makes it easier.

I love it and do it every trip. Disney moves the bags, I think it's great. I'd rather move than take a bus from an Epcot resort to MK or vice versa. This is controversial, I suppose. I don't view packing up as a big deal at all, unless I have food and plan to cook in a villa. I just did a 4x split stay. It was the only way I could get all my goals in one trip.

An option maybe that may be more affordable than you think might be to rent a DVC suite at AKL for the whole time. They aren't impossible to book, and sharing a suite might make the whole thing work and you not have to move.

I get wanting AKL and the cost, but I don't really understand a move from Pop to CB. Just stay at Pop, it's fine.

We do a split stay for every single trip. It started as an accident - I had booked BLT as a DVC rental and we ended up needing an extra night which I, of course, couldn't add to my existing reservation. So we booked POR and ended up loving having the opportunity to experience multiple resorts on the same trip. We typically do 3 way splits. Our trip last month was a split between YC, BC, and BLT. This allowed us to try YC for a couple of nights without committing to a long time there. We ended up loving it and will be putting more nights there in our next trip.

We always just plan something for the middle of move day, either go to a park or Disney Springs, and then head to the new resort once we get the room ready text and/or we're done with what we wanted to do for the day. Disney will move your bags for you. Sometimes we take them to bell services ourselves, sometimes we call and have them come get them directly from the room (of course, tipping extra for this). They make it easy. The only downside to me is in booking dining - Disney's reservation system treats each resort stay as different trips, so you have a separate opening date for booking for each part of your stay. That part is annoying.

We did 2 night Poly/7 night Beach Club split stay. Disney took care of all of our bags. The whole transition was not bad at all. The day that we switched hotels was a day that we went to the park. By the time we go to BC our room was ready, so that was nice. I liked the whole change of scenery because it was a longer stay. I don't think that I would change to 3 different hotels though. 2 was enough for sure.

We have done many split stays and a few that included three resorts, but we have always had a vehicle and transported our own bags. I would say 50% of the time the new room was ready so we could immediately move in. Other times we would go to a park for a few hours or enjoy the resort while we were waiting.

I do unpack into drawers and organize things because that’s just my nature. I can’t live out of a suitcase (especially when there have been 5-7 of us because it’s just too much mess). I tend to plan a bit before packing on how to organize the luggage to make the trip and moves easier.

Ex. If we are only staying at the first resort for a night or two, I might pack one bag that has everyone’s clothes in it for those first two days. So rather than each person having to dig through their own bag, we only have one bag that we need to access. All toiletries will also be in one bag together. If we plan to swim, I would have a little beach bag with all the suits in one place and easily accessible.

At the end of the trip, I may fill two or three of our suitcases with dirty clothes and then only bring the remaining clean items plus the toiletry bag into the last resort.

I don't like hopping and would never do it three times on one trip. To much packing and unpacking for me!!! I like to set up camp one time and be done.

Split stay could be a really fun enhancement to your vacation! I personally love exploring the different resorts, and have tried to stay at a new one most of my trips to experience as many as possible. You've got the right idea to upgrade as you go, it would definitely be disappointing to start at AKL and end up at POP, lol. My only suggestion is that WDW is already a stressful trip, so don't overdo it by trying to stay at 3 different resorts. Pick 2 and stick to those, that way you only have to move one time.

Thinking and planning way ahead to take some 'new to Disney' friends and fam in a year or two. I was thinking it MIGHT be fun to stay a couple nights at Pop then a couple nights at a mod (probably either POFQ or Caribbean (never been there) and then the last few nights at AK (never been there, always wanted to). So I ask those that stay at multiple resorts during one stay.....does this sound like a nightmare or fun way to try each level of resort and end with a new one?? Does packing up and moving your stuff eat up way too much time? Does Disney help move baggage from resort to resort on property or are you on your own? If we plan rest days for the 2 days we move to the next resort, does that make it worthwhile?
it's an example of something that sounds great on paper but in execution i'd rather not. the act of packing, unpacking, then doing that again mid-trip, checking in again at another resort, unpacking again. that's way too much unless i was on an epic adventure of 10-14 days

it's an example of something that sounds great on paper but in execution i'd rather not. the act of packing, unpacking, then doing that again mid-trip, checking in again at another resort, unpacking again. that's way too much unless i was on an epic adventure of 10-14 days
We stay for 12 to 14 plus nights and I still hate to move. It's such a pain to pack up the kids stuff and have to rearrange everything again. I also think a added benefit to staying at the same place is our kids have always enjoyed getting to know the lifeguards watching the pool slide and at the snack shops. It kind of adds to our trip.

We have done it several times. Before becoming DVC members it was done in an effort to save some money (a few nights in a moderate and a few in a deluxe resort), but not something we did on every trip and/or on shorter visits. After becoming DVC members we have done split stays to check out the newer resorts. We don’t do so on every visit and have never done it more than once on a visit.

I frequently do split stays because I love the Deluxe resorts but usually can't afford to do my entire stay at a deluxe. I often start at a value or off site property and then move to deluxe for the last 2 or 3 nights. Do I consider it fun? No. Do I love doing split stays? No, because I can't really get settled in one place and because I feel like I have a lot of wasted time on the days I move.
I prefer to move myself rather than let the resort move my luggage because I don't like being without my things for an entire day. Even if you have the resort move your luggage, you still have to get everything packed up and then unpack everything once you get to the new resort.
You also need to take into consideration that you could possibly be "homeless" for the entire day. That doesn't work well if you normally take midday breaks since you have to be out of your old room by 11 and may not get into your new room until 3 or 4 PM or possibly later.
I wasn't able to get into my room at the Riviera until after 7 PM and that was in January when the weather was miserable, windy, drizzly and temps in the low 50s. That was not a fun day!
That being said, I think if you really, really want to try more than one resort, go for it, but I would only do 1 move, i.e. 2 resorts max. Any more than that would just be too much of an inconvenience imho.
Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide!

I think one important downside to split stays is each resort stay is considered its own unique reservation and each has its own 60+? ADR booking window. That might make booking so of the most popular ADRs much harder.

Unless you're all morning people, with no one who likes to sleep in sometimes or take a midday break/nap at the room, I'd avoid multiple, quick room changes. As a night owl, I definitely need a couple caffeinated cups before coordinating a busy check-out morning when we're traveling with grandkids. DH and some of the kids don't sleep well on their first night in a new place so longer stays are better for us.

WDW is a high-stimulation environment. We love a peaceful, familiar room to recharge, or to sleep in a bit on our fun-filled resort days. When we do a split stay, it's always only on a trip that's 10-14 nights, which includes a full week in a home-like DVC/timeshare condo. We like to explore our resort(s) and see what activities will be offered later in the stay. On shorter visits, we always seem to miss some opportunities with all the rushing around. There's SO MUCH to do on an Orlando vacation!!!

Very interesting to read people's experiences and preferences. We have done splits before but are embarking on a triple split first week of August (ASMu, AKL, Pop). Doing it entirely to get the advantage of Delux extra magic evening hours. We are excited to be trying different resorts but I am a little worried about the chaos of it all. We are three nights in each resort. Does anyone who is a frequent splitter have any advice? We are only three on this trip, me, DH, and DD16. We will have some groceries to transport so I am bringing a small soft sided cooler that we can pack with some ice in a leakproof bag to safetly move some refridgerated items. We are bringing three large suitcases which is more luggage than we exactly need but doing it for the sake of getting all our wordly goods into the three bags for the transfer days. We are doing park days on transfer days but also planning later starts with a nicer breakfast on transfer days.

Of course with all the airport chaos these days I am a bit worried about our three large bags not arriving to Orlando with us but C'est La Vie....

Very interesting to read people's experiences and preferences. We have done splits before but are embarking on a triple split first week of August (ASMu, AKL, Pop). Doing it entirely to get the advantage of Delux extra magic evening hours. We are excited to be trying different resorts but I am a little worried about the chaos of it all. We are three nights in each resort. Does anyone who is a frequent splitter have any advice? We are only three on this trip, me, DH, and DD16. We will have some groceries to transport so I am bringing a small soft sided cooler that we can pack with some ice in a leakproof bag to safetly move some refridgerated items. We are bringing three large suitcases which is more luggage than we exactly need but doing it for the sake of getting all our wordly goods into the three bags for the transfer days. We are doing park days on transfer days but also planning later starts with a nicer breakfast on transfer days.

Of course with all the airport chaos these days I am a bit worried about our three large bags not arriving to Orlando with us but C'est La Vie....
Good luck! Are you moving your luggage yourself? I ask because I don't believe Bell Services will transport/move any refrigerated items. I am sure someone here can either confirm or correct this!

This will be our first time to resort hop, but when we attempted to save money last time by staying off property, we hated it, so in an attempt to experience the magic of staying on property and being in close proximity to the parks we love the most, we are resort hopping this time between WL and Swan. I was able to use points for the Swan, so that will save a bunch but still allow us a deluxe stay at our favorite place.

Hopefully, my planning will minimize the disruption. We are taking advantage of the deluxe evening hours and Christmas party (so late nights), and then we will sleep in on hop day, have a nice breakfast at WL, maybe swim, and then load up the car. We will park at Swan and head to Epcot if the room is not ready. I would have done Swan first before WL, but point stay was only available at the end of the trip. Plus, when we get to Disney, it will be like going home again driving up to WL.

It certainly won’t be like our trips where we stayed at WL the whole trip, but it is so much more expensive to go to Disney now that we had to cut corners somewhere. I think it will still be a great trip!

One thing that we do on our 3-resort stays is pack our clothes together rather than each have a suitcase. When we arrive, we have only one suitcase to unpack and then repack - the others stay in the closet or under the bed. You have everything with you if you need it from the other bags, but somehow only unpacking/repacking one bag makes it go more smoothly for us.

We've done a bunch of trips staying at 2 resorts. We haven't found it to be an issue, but we are all adults and can handle our own packing. Depending on the makeup of the group, this may create an issue. We like trying a new resort with the backup of a tried and true resort. It's let us try on a new resort without feeling committed to it for the entire vacation if we don't like it. But we just did a 3 different hotel stay while in Glacier National Park within 6 days so we might not be a good example!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter