Resort Hopping

cxr

Mouseketeer
Sooo.. thats a thing? can someone point me to a trip report to get a GiST of what this is.

You just take Disney transportation and go look at the other Hotel lobbies?

i admit most of my stays at Disney when DD was in cheer so it was always value resorts. am i missing something by not just heading to AKL and looking around the lobby?

Have i bene missing out? LOL

Chris

Sooo.. thats a thing? can someone point me to a trip report to get a GiST of what this is.

i admit most of my stays at Disney when DD was in cheer so it was always value resorts. am i missing something by not just heading to AKL and looking around the lobby?

Have i bene missing out? LOL

Chris
Yeah, you can go to any resort location and have a look around. AKL, as you mention, is great because they have patios with chairs where you can sit and watch the animals. All the resorts have gift shops, so you can take a look for different merch that is specific to that location. Most resorts also have at least 1 restaurant, so you can grab a snack if you get hungry.

It's best to do this at Christmas time as everything is decorated so well, but still can have fun any time of year

Last edited:
It's def a thing. Ppl often go and check out the resort properties and often in the DVC resorts they will have rooms available for tour. It's kind of cool just to see the different types of theming at each resort.

Missing out? Not really missing out on anything.
I'm not even sure it's a thing quite honestly.
In all my years of going to Disney I've gone to another resort to look around 1 time, to GF to see the Gingerbread house.
We will visit other resorts to dine and while there explore but I spend enough time running around the parks. When I'm not doing that I don't fine running around resorts to be particularly relaxing or fun.

As for stuff to do, really only AKL has something interesting, watching animals. When the cultural reps were around that was an added feature but they are not back.

Another resort that could be worth just visiting if Fort Wilderness.

I wouldn't make a special trip to look around the others

Reactions: cxr

Many like to check out the hotels on the monorail loop to grab a drink, look at the shops, get food, etc…. But some people aren’t into this at all, so I don’t think you’re necessarily missing out.

We like to visit a few resorts on our longer trips. Mostly to walk around, check out the vibe, and see if it’s somewhere we think we might like to stay on a future trip. :)

We do because my daughter enjoys pin trading at all the locations.

Taking Disney transportation can be key. Just wanted to mention it so that it doesn't get lost. If you arrive by Uber/Lyft/taxi or a vehicle that you are driving, the guard at the gate might not let you in. People had been trying to park or get dropped off at the Contemporary or Grand Floridian so that they could walk to the Magic Kingdom from there rather than having to go through the Transportation & Ticket Center. At other hotels, it can be an issue of wanting to make sure there are enough spaces for people staying at that hotel.

I think it just depends on what is "fun" for you/your group. For us, our "resort hopping" days are usually our favorites. There are so many places specific to the individual resorts that we love visiting - bars, lounges, gift shops, grab-and-go's. It's fun to get a feel for the different resorts to see if we'd ever want to stay there. We just love exploring and having a day that you're not on a schedule.

We enjoy visiting other resorts to check out what they look like, shop or dine. Depends mostly on what interests you while at Disney.

It is totally up to what your type of vacation looks like. I started doing it way back when so I could actually look at all the resorts in person to decide if I wanted to stay at any of them. I would walk all around the grounds and the food courts and shops, etc. I still do it at Christmas to see the decorations and still do it sometimes during a trip just to sort of relax. I'm not a park open to close person and not ride centric but do love all the details and extras Disney puts in it's properties. I also like to eat at different resorts just to see what they have.

I enjoy resort hopping, but I can see why it’s not for everyone. When I resort hop I like to:
-Eat a dole whip on the beach at the Poly(extra nice during MK fireworks or the electrical water pageant)
-Sit in a rocking chair and watch animals at AKL
-Walk around the boardwalk area in the evening
-Visit the horses at the tricircle D ranch at Ft Wilderness
-Look around gift shops at any resort

I've read that you can only go to a resort if you have a dining reservation. Is this still true?

If I'm staying at one resort can I get on disney transportation and get off at another resort without issue? Was the dining reservation thing just for parking, or for visiting at all?

We will be staying at Port Riverside.

I've read that you can only go to a resort if you have a dining reservation. Is this still true?

If I'm staying at one resort can I get on disney transportation and get off at another resort without issue? Was the dining reservation thing just for parking, or for visiting at all?

Mostly issues for parking/ride share. If you are on a Disney bus they don't know you don't stay there. Also lots of resorts to skyliner to or walk. Again zero issues. It's all about driving up having problems.

I've personally never had issues with Lyft/Uber - we hop around from resort to resort all the time! The only one we ever had push-back on was Contemporary. We had a reservation and they scanned our bands - I've never had to do it any other time.

I've personally never had issues with Lyft/Uber - we hop around from resort to resort all the time! The only one we ever had push-back on was Contemporary. We had a reservation and they scanned our bands - I've never had to do it any other time.
Many many other people have had different experiences.

Definitely suggest trying a resort tour during the holiday season, starting the week of Thsnksgiving.

The previously mentioned Grand Floridian Gingerbread House is spectacular, and you can buy gingerbread gifts and snacks at the sales counter at its back.

The Contemporary has a gingerbread mural, Beach Club a famous gingerbread carousel that is really something to see. I also love the Christmas village electric train layout at Yacht Club. It has tiny Disney characters as well as villagers.

Many rave about the Pacific Northwest decorations at Wilderness Lodge. Some years, it has had a gingerbread deer or bear in the lobby.

Lots of curious and interesting decorative details in each resort to make a scavenger hunt tour fun for your family any time of year.

Christmas time is best, though, IMO. :santa:

If I'm staying at one resort can I get on disney transportation and get off at another resort without issue?

Yes. Don't worry about that at all.

You can also go from Disney Springs or a park by bus, monorail or boat to any resort you'd simply like to see or shop at.

The thing you can't do is go to another resort to swim.

Disney has some really good food all over property,mostly at the resorts..... I like to snack my way from one to another some days just for fun! (always use Disney transport)

We always think we're going to do this, but don't. Other than an after dinner trip to the Poly for a Dole Whip, we usually love to hang out at the resort we are staying in. The transportation and time isn't usually appealing when we're taking a park break.

We always think we're going to do this, but don't. Other than an after dinner trip to the Poly for a Dole Whip, we usually love to hang out at the resort we are staying in. The transportation and time isn't usually appealing when we're taking a park break.
I agree, we had plans over Christmas to check out the gingerbread decorations, etc, and the only resort we went to was Wilderness Lodge and that was because we had a dinner reservation at Storybook Dining. Time really goes by too quick once you're there, so it's nice to head back to your own room to relax

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter