• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort ideas for elderly

dreamerkath

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone!

DBF and I are planning a Disney trip for my family, which includes my parents (mid 50s), grandparents (late 70s and early 80s), and sister and boyfriend (early 20s).

We have both been to Disney multiple times (him more than me), but we are now trying to find the best resort to accommodate this odd group.

A few criteria they have given us...

Minimal walking and nice grounds (grandfather will likely enjoy resort days at the pool and walk to and from his room often to the restaurant, bar, etc. but we would like to limit the distance he needs to cross)

Theming (mom and sister want something that is not "just an ordinary hotel")

Close to Epcot and Magic Kingdom (these will be the two most visited parks, and would like for grandmother to be able to go back for afternoon rests)

They have decided against Contempory and Grand Floridian, but are open to all other suggestions.

It will be the first Disney trip for my parents, grandparents, and sister's boyfriend.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your suggestions!

- I don't think any Disney resort could be called 'just an ordinary hotel', thematically.

-Minimal walking with close proximity to room, pool, bar and food just screams POFQ. It's the smallest, least spread out resort.

- Close to both MK and Epcot. Doesn't exist. You can have one or the other, but not both, if you're talking about deluxe resorts. Bus times to MK from the Epcot deluxes or POFQ should be roughly the same - around 10 minutes once you leave the resorts.

I would also suggest that you bring up the possibility of renting ecvs (from an offsite agency) for your grandparents. They won't likely be used to the mileage you do in the parks. If you stay at an Epcot resort, they'll need it to avoid having to wait for a boat to get to Epcot and DHS.

Since you mentioned deluxe I will guess that is in the budget.

We loved our stay in Wilderness Lodge. Certainly not ordinary, highly themed. Very small compact resort with so many pretty spots and places to sit, relax. The pool is nice and not far from any room. Boat to MK.

If you are thinking moderate, agree POFQ is the size you want with pretty grounds to walk around BUT the dining there is severely lacking and has no table service.

I would recommend the Polynesian. It's on the monorail line so no bus is needed for Epcot or MK. We went back to the resort to swim each afternoon and it was so convenient to return back from Epcot/MK. Most of the longhouses are pretty close to the main building where the monorail stop is. The grounds are beautiful and well themed. There are lots of good options for dining, and did I mention Dole Whip? We stayed there for the first time recently and we just love it, can't wait to return.

WL, Poly, BW, YC & BC are the choices left if you need an Epcot or MK area resort. Poly is your best bet for transportation because it's on the monorail and gives you easy access to MK & Epcot. However, the Epcot area resorts can be walked to (from Epcot) and have boat service to DHS & Epcot which I would think is easier to maneuver for your grand parents. As for theming, we like the Epcot resorts, they're beautiful and no Disney hotel is 'ordinary' compared to a non Disney hotel...but I think Poly & WL have much more wow factor. All have pros & cons! One thing I would consider with a large party is renting DVC points and staying in a couple 1 or 2 bedroom Villas or some combination like that.
You can get Deluxe lodgings for much less expensive than renting through Disney and you'll have more space to spread out. Also, thinking of my own parents & grandparents, they may really appreciate the kitchen facilities for snacks, making tea, or coffee, etc.

Yacht Club Resort. I am 74 and the Yacht Club Resort has been our favorite for years.

I believe the two I would recommend (WL and POFQ) are having renovations/construction right now. Not sure when you were thinking of taking the trip.

POFQ is re-doing their food court, WL seems to be more extensive.

They are both well themed and smaller. If not one of those...hard to say. My favorite is YC, but it can be spread out for sure, and doesn't have a "quick service" per se.

You have some challenging parameters for sure.

My suggestions are Boardwalk, YC or BC.

Being on the boardwalk will provide a lot of entertainment while not being at a park.

The younger guests can walk to both Epcot and DHS (you can't have one resort close to MK and Epcot) older guests can take the boat to DHS so they don't have to make a long walk. The walk from BC to Epcot is minimal.

If you choose the Poly you would be on the monorail but there is not entertainment right outside the resort. The elderly would have to board the monorail in order to go anywhere besides the resort. With a Boardwalk resort they have the entire Boardwalk right outside and can use an ECV if needed with greater ease.

My SIL is taking her 80+ mother next month. They were thinking moderate-range. I suggested a handicap river-view room at POR and request 1st floor. Looking at the map there, it seemed like they all would be near the bridge to the main building. Of course, they haven't gone yet, so I can't tell you how it worked out. She just told me last night they are renting an ECV from Apple as it was cheaper than renting at the parks each day.

We were just at WL last week and that might work too. It would have interior hallways to the restaurants, etc. and has pretty grounds in the courtyard. There is a boat to MK.

If Deluxe is in budget, the Contemporary Tower is quite compact for walking, and is on the monorail.

The Polynesian hands down!! It's easy waking to main building from any longhouse. The monorail is great..but the small boat to the Magic Kingdom was what I most enjoyed! And you can walk a short distance to the transportation center for the monorail to EPCOT. I would stay here every trip if I could!

Another vote for the Poly. You're on the MK boat & monorail loop and can also walk to the TTC to pick up the Epcot monorail without having to switch. The grounds are beautiful & the theming is fun.

When I'm old and my grandchildren take me to WDW I want to stay at the Poly.

Yup, with your group, if it's in the budget, Poly for sure. In addition to all the reasons others have mentioned above, I would add that dining options are wonderful... and a short stroll over to the Grand Floridian for even more. :-)

I'm 74 years old and have stayed at WL, GF, AKL, Poly, BWI, YC and POR. In my opinion the WL would be the best resort for your group. It's under one roof and easy to get around the resort.

Since you don't like the GF, I'd say the Poly. What's nice is that you can relax outside (or on your balcony if you have a LV room) and often catch the EWP or the fireworks. You can see the ferries and the lake during the day. So someone who might need more down time can still enjoy the WDW feel while relaxing. Also, you can easily get to the MK (launch, monorail) and also walk to the TTC to catch the direct monorail to Epcot.

The BC/YC/BWI are also very nice, and of course AKL has great theming and the animals, but it's not as convenient in terms of location.

Hello everyone!

DBF and I are planning a Disney trip for my family, which includes my parents (mid 50s), grandparents (late 70s and early 80s), and sister and boyfriend (early 20s).

We have both been to Disney multiple times (him more than me), but we are now trying to find the best resort to accommodate this odd group.

A few criteria they have given us...

Minimal walking and nice grounds (grandfather will likely enjoy resort days at the pool and walk to and from his room often to the restaurant, bar, etc. but we would like to limit the distance he needs to cross)

Theming (mom and sister want something that is not "just an ordinary hotel")

Close to Epcot and Magic Kingdom (these will be the two most visited parks, and would like for grandmother to be able to go back for afternoon rests)

They have decided against Contempory and Grand Floridian, but are open to all other suggestions.

It will be the first Disney trip for my parents, grandparents, and sister's boyfriend.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your suggestions!

When are you going? My choices would be the CR and WL. Both are under 1 roof (a godsend in the hot summer and rain) and easy to get around. I know you said you weren't interested in the CR. I've stayed there 3x. It's a beautiful resort. If you have a room that in on the MK side, you can watch the FW's from your room.

Though there is construction at WL, most seems to be outside. One pool is closed so the main pool would probably be more crowded. If you're not swimmers, it shouldn't be an issue. WL has wonderful restaurants. It also has a boat that circles WL/CR/FW so it's very easy to access the monorail loop restaurants. We stayed at the AKL during it's big construction phase and it really wasn't an issue. It actually was kind of nice as the resort was booked much lighter than usual.

The Poly is nice. But you do have to go outside to get to your buildings. And there is a chance your group would be in different buildings. The same with the GF.

BC is nice and you can walk to Epcot. It is rather big, so your rooms may be far apart. But it is under 1 roof.

I'm going to say one of the Epcot resorts. Since your group is made up of all adults, I'm going to assume Epcot and HS are going to get more attention than MK..

My recommendations are Poly or Beach Club. As others have mentioned, Poly has monorail access to both MK and EP. The resort is lovely with great restaurants and two great lounges.

BC is the closest you can get to EP, but you'll have to bus to MK. BC/YC has have great restaurants and lounges.

Both great resorts!

Thanks everyone for your imput! We are actually looking for May 2018 (so far away, I know...), but with this sized group we need time to make the decision and then coordinate exact dates with everyone...

Yes, I am aware that nothing will be close to both Epcot and MK, I just meant no "out of the way" resorts like AKL (as gorgeous as it is). :)

Deluxe is in our budget. We are hesistating between Poly, Beach and Yatch Club, Port Orleans FQ, and Wilderness Lodge.

I agree that everything at Disney is amazingly themed.

How is the bus service to MK from BC and YC? WL?

Thank you again so much! We are really excited for their first trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter