• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort monorail

Disneylovingmomof2

DIS Veteran
With the Poly monorail station closing, does this mean the monorail isn’t running the full loop anymore starting in Oct? Or it will run normally and just not stop at the Polynesian?

That's actually a good question. We stayed at BLT and took the monorail almost daily, but more just to take it - we could have walked to MK faster. With the Grand Floridian to MK path looking like it is about to open, the same could be said about GF. The TTT to Epcot monorail is not running - no reason to stop there either. Could the boats handle all of the TTT to MK traffic? I think right now they could. I could easily see them closing the monorail completely.

I'd think that it would actually stop at the Poly just to maintain headway between trains on the beam. Although they could just hold at the designated hold spot before GF until the prior train leaves the station.

I'd think that it would actually stop at the Poly just to maintain headway between trains on the beam. Although they could just hold at the designated hold spot before GF until the prior train leaves the station.
That shouldn't be necessary. As long as all trains are traveling at the same speed and making the same stops, spacing should remain constant.

If train A leaves TTC at 9:00 and arrives at GF at 9:07, then train B leaving TTC at 9:05 should arrive at GF at 9:12.

That shouldn't be necessary. As long as all trains are traveling at the same speed and making the same stops, spacing should remain constant.

If train A leaves TTC at 9:00 and arrives at GF at 9:07, then train B leaving TTC at 9:05 should arrive at GF at 9:12.
Yes, I think we are saying the same thing. The point was about making a stop at the Poly station.

Yes, I think we are saying the same thing. The point was about making a stop at the Poly station.
No, I'm saying a stop at Poly wouldn't be necessary to maintain headway. The same headway as current could be maintained, but the time to complete the loop would be decreased by the dwell time of a Poly stop.

That would be the efficient way. If the trains run run on a non-published schedule, they might take the lazy way of including the unnecessary stop to avoid changing the schedule.

just like the WDW still stopping at toontown during the new fantasyland construction, despite the station being closed

No, I'm saying a stop at Poly wouldn't be necessary to maintain headway. The same headway as current could be maintained, but the time to complete the loop would be decreased by the dwell time of a Poly stop.

That would be the efficient way. If the trains run run on a non-published schedule, they might take the lazy way of including the unnecessary stop to avoid changing the schedule.
How many trains are there? It seems like that would control whether or not they would need to stop at Poly. Having the trains pass through Poly only to have to wait for a train to depart Grand Floridian doesn't really speed them up. Of course, if you removed a train from the rail you could skip the stop at Poly every time, but you'd have one less train. I don't know how that would affect overall capacity.

Am I reading this right? Why is monorail not stopping at the Poly? When will Service there stop? Or has it already? Transportation options are getting ridiculous.

Am I reading this right? Why is monorail not stopping at the Poly? When will Service there stop? Or has it already? Transportation options are getting ridiculous.
Perhaps you missed the news that the Poly will be closed for an extended period while they do a refurb.

I knew they were rehabbing Poly but the DVC units are open. The hotel hasn’t been open yet but the monorail was stopping there for DVC guests to use.

How many trains are there? It seems like that would control whether or not they would need to stop at Poly. Having the trains pass through Poly only to have to wait for a train to depart Grand Floridian doesn't really speed them up. Of course, if you removed a train from the rail you could skip the stop at Poly every time, but you'd have one less train. I don't know how that would affect overall capacity.
OK, I get what you guys are saying now. Eliminating a stop reduces the circuit run time, so running the same number of trains would result in a reduced headway, which could cause holds to maintain safe spacing.

They could hold at Poly, or they could run one fewer trains, or they could reduce overall speed just enough to maintain the minimum acceptable headway.

I knew they were rehabbing Poly but the DVC units are open. The hotel hasn’t been open yet but the monorail was stopping there for DVC guests to use.
I am guessing they will be doing work in the Great Ceremonial building that will impact accessibility to the monorail station.

Operationally, there is no reason for them to stop at the Poly during the closure. Remember the GF wasn't always there and they didn't stop where it is now. Yea I know they will do a hold if a train has not departed the next station.

In answer to another question, the number of trains on each beam varies based on expected ridership. In addition with the EPCOT Center beam closed that actually frees up at least one train most likely two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter