• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort only stay

MrsBergs

Mouseketeer
Hi. We are planning to do a resort only stay before a cruise.. It will be myself, husband and daughter age 11. What resorts would you recommend? We want to enjoy the pool and the rest. The only resort that is off the list is AKL. We stayed there once and my husband thought it was too dark and doesn’t want to go back.
Thank You

Hi. We are planning to do a resort only stay before a cruise.. It will be myself, husband and daughter age 11. What resorts would you recommend? We want to enjoy the pool and the rest. The only resort that is off the list is AKL. We stayed there once and my husband thought it was too dark and doesn’t want to go back.
Thank You
Since your husband thought AKL was too dark, consider resorts with lighter color schemes. For example:
  • Beach Club - It has Stormalong Bay, probably the most popular hotel pool at WDW, and Beaches & Cream, probably the most popular ice cream place. You also can explore the 5 resorts around Cresent Lake. Be warned that it's often tough to get a seat at Stormalong Bay, so go early or late. (The Crescent Lake resorts are Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk Inn, Swan, and Dolphin.)
  • Boardwalk Inn - Located across Crescent Lake from the Beach Club, its pool is not as popular as the Beach Club but it is much easier to get a lounge chair at that pool. Boardwalk Inn has its own ice cream shop and also several stores and restaurants. At night, there usually are entertainers outside if the weather is nice. For both the Beach Club and Boardwalk Inn, you can explore the other resorts, but you cannot pool hop.
  • Grand Floridian - This has a couple of nice pools, although get there early for what's called the Beach Pool. Seating is somewhat limited. From the Grand Floridian, you'll be able to explore the other Monorail Resorts (Polynesian and Contemporary). You can even take the Monorail from the Magic Kingdom, and from there a boat to Wilderness Lodge.
If you are looking for something more modestly priced, consider either Port Orleans Riverside or Coronado Springs. Both have good pools and food courts. Don't go to Caribbean Beach Resort (too hectic and actually the oldest Moderate Resort, meaning it sometimes shows its age) or Port Orleans French Quarter (too small).

I suggest you look at online photos to see which appeals to you the most.

Last edited:
Thank You
I would say Beach Club. Your 11 year old daughter will LOVE the pool (as well as you and your husband). The resort has such a good vibe as well. We love spending a day at the pool (Stormalong Bay) and grabbing lunch at Beaches & Cream (located right next to the pool) midday.

If AKL seems too dark for your tastes, definitely avoid Wilderness lodge - very similar style and feel. Bay Lake Tower is fairly bright and nice for visiting monorail resorts; also has a great TS (Steakhouse 71) and a pretty good QS, plus fireworks views from the 4th floor deck.

If AKL seems too dark for your tastes, definitely avoid Wilderness lodge - very similar style and feel. Bay Lake Tower is fairly bright and nice for visiting monorail resorts; also has a great TS (Steakhouse 71) and a pretty good QS, plus fireworks views from the 4th floor deck.
I'm guessing you mean the Boulder ridge part of wilderness here. Copper Creek is bright and has good balconies to people watch from. Boat to magic kingdom (and possibly fort wilderness - not sure if this boat is running yet or not) give you "extra"activity potential. Both pools tend to get busy in summer months (OP didn't mention when this trip was planned for), and are a little too warm.
CCV is my home resort, so I'm a little biased.

If you can find it, BLT theme park view would be awesome. Watch MK fireworks without going to the parks and have easy access to the monorail for a quick ride. BLT pool is smaller than it should be, but there are 2 other pools at the contemporary.

Have a great time whatever you decide!

SSR or OKW would be good choices IMO for pools that are quiet, with most areas having their own individual pool, then a featured pool near the lobby. Also, the proximity to DS with lots of choices of good eateries, without much hassle of getting there, a nice boat ride over or a quick walk from SSR.

Depends on what you will enjoy doing most and for how long. While some DVC pools offer more than others, my kids at that age had fun at any pool. My recommendations regarding location, based on my past stays:

Beach Club: nice if you like having active pool days, Beaches & Cream is fun, restaurants in resort not great but can walk over to Boardwalk/Swan/Dolphin.
Boardwalk: pool is quieter than beach club but has its usual slide stuff. Boardwalk area is fun to spend a day or so.
SSR: I believe most/all rooms now reno'ed. Walkable to Disney Springs, but distance may be further depending on where you are assigned (but can take internal bus system to get closer). Food options on site nothing special in my opinion but reasonable, and are located in the main building so you may be far. But if you go to DS you're fine. Multiple pools on resort that were quiet.
OKW: Very quiet. Like SSR, a spread out resort. Haven't eaten at Olivia's but I here it is good. Have to take boat to SSR. Very quiet.
Poly/BLT/GF : all nice for sure but higher points mainly based on location to MK. Poly pool better themed than BLT's and GF seems to be relatively easier to snag a studio. Have access to all the very good food options along the monorail loop. Can't go wrong with any but points a bit higher per night.
Yet to stay at Riviera but looks beautiful and skyliner could take you to Epcot and from there could walk to boardwalk.

In short, I don't think you can go wrong with any option.

Last edited:
I did a resort-only stay in May at SSR and it was so relaxing and rejuvenating. I almost forgot that we were (are!) in the middle of a pandemic. I unfortunately did need to do some work during the trip, but the WiFi was EXCELLENT. There were so many pools to choose from. I chose a quiet pool, although the main pool was a rocking and rolling with games & activities for the kids. The food on property was fine/did the job, but I ate very little of it due to the proximity to DS. I purposedly booked a Preferred villa (requested Congress Park due to the proximity to DS, but ended up in The Springs as a villa was ready and I didn't want to wait). Even the walk from The Springs to DS (ferry boatas were not working at the time) took me 15 min at an avg pace. I really enjoyed all the birds and plants. The grounds are really well maintained. There are many rocking chairs along the pathways to sit down and take in the views/serenity.

ALL of the villas at SSR are renovated - they've been fully renovated for quite some time now. The renovation is incredible. I think the reno now puts SSR at the top of the list. Especially with all of the positive changes at DS. It's incomparable for a resort-only stay. Because of the walking proximity to DS, I enjoyed getting coffee from Starbucks (or Joffrey's if you are a Joffrey's person) every morning; got in line for Gideon's right at opening (waited 30 min before opening on a weekday and walked right in); was able to shop in the Disney Store without lines/crowds; had excellent meals at my favorite DS restaurants; and so much more.

If you don't do SSR, I recommend Beach Club/Yacht Club for Stormalong Bay and the nightlife on the Boardwalk as previous posters have mentioned. The rooms product is not as nice as SSR though.

Thank You

We love Saratoga and Old Key West for resort only stays. We also did a resort only split stay at Bay Lake and Copper Creek. This was a lot of fun to still see the fireworks, etc.

If quiet with pools is your priority, SSR matches that the best.
One of the best resort feels away from park temptation is OKW. The design, colors, and theming goes well with cruising. The boat transportation is a fun way to visit Disney Springs. Great use of points. Studios with two queen beds.
We really like SSR for. Resort only stay. Close to DS. We love the pool the food court and I love the SPA.
SSR or OKW would be good choices IMO for pools that are quiet, with most areas having their own individual pool, then a featured pool near the lobby. Also, the proximity to DS with lots of choices of good eateries, without much hassle of getting there, a nice boat ride over or a quick walk from SSR.
We love Saratoga and Old Key West for resort only stays. We also did a resort only split stay at Bay Lake and Copper Creek. This was a lot of fun to still see the fireworks, etc.
I love SSR and OKW, however... the food at both leaves a lot to be desired. For a resort-only stay, I'd consider SSR if I were staying in Congress Park and could walk to Disney Springs, otherwise I'd pick something on the monorail or Crescent Lake for access to a wider variety of dining.

My new non-parks Resort is the Rivera, especially if you are a couple or adults only. The resort is beautiful. Petite Cafe and Bar Riva are excellent.
Quiet pool is big with cushioned loungers and couches.

The location next to Caribbean Beach and a Skyliner to the Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club area is a plus. This gives you so many options for food and activities.😎👍🏻

My new non-parks Resort is the Rivera, especially if you are a couple or adults only. The resort is beautiful. Petite Cafe and Bar Riva are excellent.
Quiet pool is big with cushioned loungers and couches.

The location next to Caribbean Beach and a Skyliner to the Boardwalk, Beach Club and Yacht Club area is a plus. This gives you so many options for food and activities.😎👍🏻

Debating Riviera for a resort only stay. But to get from Riviera to Boardwalk area is to get off at Epcot (international gateway) and then a walk from there, right? How long does it typically take to do that?

Debating Riviera for a resort only stay. But to get from Riviera to Boardwalk area is to get off at Epcot (international gateway) and then a walk from there, right? How long does it typically take to do that?
The walk from the Skyliner station to Boardwalk is maybe five minutes - Boardwalk is just up and over the bridge, not far at all. The Skyliner ride from the Riviera station to the IG station is maybe about the same length of time - can't remember, but it's not long! We'd stay at Riviera in an instant for a resort-only stay!

Thank You
We have done this often before our cruises. BWV and SSR are our favorites for easy access to either the Boardwalk or Disney Springs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter