Resort Options for First Time Parents

Skicks35

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I will be in WDW in June with our extended family on my side (it's our last time together before the oldest nephew goes away to college). The wrinkle here is that we will (hopefully) be going with a six month old ourselves. We currently have two reservations: a deluxe studio for the three of us and a 2BR for everyone else (both at our home resort: VGF). That said, now that the 7 month window is here, I noticed some availability at Copper Creek and Boardwalk (benefit here being we can stay two extra days at either of these).

So here's my question: generally speaking, are any one of these resorts easier to manage with a newborn? VGF obviously has walkability to MK and getting a stroller on the monorail is fairly easy. BW has walkability to two parks (but I've heard the hallways are long).. CC has none of that - and is getting a stroller onto a boat very convenient? Have to drive or bus to every other park.

Stick with VGF or two extra nights at BW or CC??

Sorry - first time parent questions, so I'm probably overthinking things.. Thanks!

Sounds like a split stay to me, do VGF for MK and BWV for epcot and HS. Its gonna be a bus to AK regardless but BWV should be shorter for that if you are doing all 4.

Strollers on a boat is the same as monorail, dont have to break it down. We took the boat from BCV to HS with a double stroller (1 and 2 year olds) and it worked great.

If you plan to go back to room for kid to nap, being close as possible to the resort from the park for the day is a big advantage to me. If you think your kid being that little will just nap in stroller, then its really just about ease of being able to get around without having to get on a bus.

But yea id vote for trying to do a split stay if it was me.

I hate being homeless half the day, and it's worse if the bebe is fustery. I'd stay put. VGF is about the best out there for a stay with the infant.

I'd take BW for the extra days.

You will either have a baby who can sleep in the stroller, and this will be the easiest trip ever. Or you are going to plan your nap breaks, easy enough to plan around with BW, even with a bus. Pools about the same, food about the same, better if you're willing to go to Epcot or Swolphin. VGF does have room service, and BW doesn't, and that is in play for a newborn...

I love split stays, and always split stay, but I wouldn't do it with a baby this small. The last thing you want is overtired baby in the lobby and you've got no room for an hour.

The stroller on the (BW) boat is a piece of cake. Buses are a pain, but you know that already. Completely doable, even with just one person going back for nap time. I've done it myself many times. Sometimes people even help you.

The way to prep for this is to walk around nap time and see if you can get a baby to sleep in the stroller. And it's good for you to walk anyway.

CC is a worst case resort for me, walking to nothing, limited food. If I'm stuck with the baby and everyone else is wherever, I at least want somewhere to walk that interests me. But I'd still take it over VGF for the extra days.

Last edited:

Bottom line is regardless of where you stay a lot will depend on how the baby takes it all in. In my experience (3 kids currently 5 and under), babies that age are young enough to mostly sleep anywhere and don’t typically have established nap routines yet. Last May we visited with a 5mo, 2.5 and almost 5 year old. The 2.5 year old was harder to manage naps for because the baby would happily sleep on us in a carrier.

I’d suggest moving to CC or BWV to extend the trip, BUT also to let you have more relaxed days. Either taking a full rest day or two, or just spreading things over the extra days to give yourself and baby breaks.

Worth noting there are 2 types/sizes of boats that run between CCV and MK and you do have to fold a stroller on the smaller ones. I would strongly recommend getting a light/easy to fold stroller because no matter what you’re going to end up folding it to get multiple places.

I would vote for BWV if you can get it. You get to stay longer and you can walk to 2 parks. Don't let people's comments about long hallways there freak you out. It's not really that bad (if you are going to WDW, you should be prepared for lots of walking anyway :) ). I would say the more challenging aspect for you will be that there is only one set of elevators on the BWV side. So, you could end up getting a room at the end of the building that is super close to the walkway to HS (which is awesome!), but if you get an upper floor, you have to make a decision on how you are going to get the stroller down: do you walk all the way back to the elevator? Or do you carry the stroller down the stairs (and up when you return)?

I think the pool area at CCV would be better for the little one though. There is a splash pad and the quiet pool has a zero-depth entry, which is nice for the little one. The other plus to CCV over BWV is that CCV has more dining options that don't require you to go outside to get to them.

So, really either one of these that gives you more time would be a good choice IMO. :)

I would vote for BWV. Being able to walk to two parks plus all of the restaurants around the Boardwalk is so convenient. When my DS was that age it was just nice to be able to put him in the stroller and walk to a variety of places without having to deal with any Disney transportation.

Seriously, this place is the best. So many little details I would have never thought of had I not asked, so thank you everyone!

I think I’m leaning staying at VGF, mostly b/c I’m thinking 10 nights at Disney with a six month old might be overkill; and it would be fun to treat and stay with my family all together there for the first time. I do love the convenience of the BW though, so maybe I’ll change my mind (or more likely availability will disappear and it’ll make up my mind for me, ha).

Seriously, thank you all!

BW only has lock off units. If you need 2 real beds in the 2nd BR, CC should be your choice.

First off, it's going to be really hot in June and afternoon thunderstorms and with a baby so wherever you can get back to your room the quickest would be my choice. No way I would do a split stay with a baby.
Look at the ages of everyone else and decide where you will spend most of your time. If it's Magic Kingdom stick with VGF. It's hot walking to Studios from BWV. I would do the skyliner. Over to Epcot is easy from BWV. As to the boat from CC, it's my favorite way to get to the MK. As to the actual resort experience, GFV would be first, then CC then BWV and yes we have stayed at all 3.

8 days at VGF with a baby, and with your whole family around, sounds like a dream. I do love BWV and the walkability to 2 parks is helpful IF everyone else in your party wants to spend more time at EP/HS - then you do have the flexibility of popping back to the park with a stroller if you like. VGF is easy only for MK, moderately ok for EP (a lot of walking with a stroller on the monorail, though that is how I justified eating more at WDW).

Boats between VGF and MK definitely need to fold a stroller.

I do think staying at VGF will be great. The VGF deluxe studio is well set up to put the crib in the little jog when you first come in - it is dark and a little removed from the rest of the room. Sounds like you decided to stay there, and it will be a great trip. The only switch I'd consider is to BWV but only if the rest of your group plans on spending most of their time there - the walkability to two parks will give you, the 1st time parents, a bit more flexibility if you want it, without having major transportation challenges. (i.e. easy for 1 parent to peel off with baby and meet up again if walking; but much harder for 1 parent to do it alone if you're doing anything that involves folding the stroller to get there.)

8 days at VGF with a baby, and with your whole family around, sounds like a dream. I do love BWV and the walkability to 2 parks is helpful IF everyone else in your party wants to spend more time at EP/HS - then you do have the flexibility of popping back to the park with a stroller if you like. VGF is easy only for MK, moderately ok for EP (a lot of walking with a stroller on the monorail, though that is how I justified eating more at WDW).

Boats between VGF and MK definitely need to fold a stroller.

I do think staying at VGF will be great. The VGF deluxe studio is well set up to put the crib in the little jog when you first come in - it is dark and a little removed from the rest of the room. Sounds like you decided to stay there, and it will be a great trip. The only switch I'd consider is to BWV but only if the rest of your group plans on spending most of their time there - the walkability to two parks will give you, the 1st time parents, a bit more flexibility if you want it, without having major transportation challenges. (i.e. easy for 1 parent to peel off with baby and meet up again if walking; but much harder for 1 parent to do it alone if you're doing anything that involves folding the stroller to get there.)
Thanks for the additional tips. Yea, we finalized on VGF: my brother's family likes being on the monorail and since it's our home resort, we are the most familiar/comfortable with it. Definitely won't do a split stay, but I'm sure we'll have another opportunity for an EP resort in the future (maybe if it's just the three of us).

Thanks for the additional tips. Yea, we finalized on VGF: my brother's family likes being on the monorail and since it's our home resort, we are the most familiar/comfortable with it. Definitely won't do a split stay, but I'm sure we'll have another opportunity for an EP resort in the future (maybe if it's just the three of us).
Also, congratulations! We recently used a whole lot of points to get my dad, our family, and my sister's family (10 people altogether) in a 2BR and a studio at BCV. We had a blast! My sister will probably hold off until her twins are older (they were almost a year then), but it was a lot of fun. DD2's first pool experience was at the feature pool at VGF.

Another tip: consider using a baby carrier because then it is very easy to do things with baby, who can nap in the carrier, etc. we got our kids little ear "muffs" and they slept through fireworks in the carrier. It was great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter