Resort "snob" with baby- BC Std vs FW Cabin

riggins

You can't always get what you want, but if you try
Hi Everyone-
I need your help! DH, DD (15 months) and I will be going down the weekend before Thanksgiving (Sat-Wed). On our last trip, we stayed in a 1-bdrm at BWV. It was perfect and we loved it. However, our first night there, we stayed as ASMo because we got in so late, and it was a terrible night. The room was way too small for us and the baby did not sleep well in the same room as us. So, we decided to never stay in a "standard" hotel room again.

So, here's my dilemma. . . for this trip, BWV is sold out. BCV, VWL, and OKW have no discount rooms for our dates. I checked and there is no DVC point availability either. Since I'm not willing to pay the $385 rack rate, I'm down to a FW Cabin or a BC Standard. I'm leaning toward the cabin for the extra room, but I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. We plan to spend 1 day at MGM, 1 day at Epcot, 1 1/2 days at MK, and a day at the pool. So, BC seems to be a better location (walk to Epcot & MGM- SAB!), but I'm afraid that the baby won't sleep in the standard room and we'll all be miserable! Is the boat to MK from FW convenient enough to make up for walking to Epcot and MGM? Will I feel like I'm out in the middle of nowhere at FW? Location is an important factor to us. How about the cabin itself? I envision something dark and depressing- am I wrong? Can we take the baby for a walk in her stroller around FW (I envision rough, gravely roads that require an off-road vehicle!!)?

Sorry this is so long, but I'm REALLY torn on this one. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not sure what to tell you about location/atmosphere vs. size. I agree that the DVC units spoil it for regular rooms but I'm not sure whether or not the cabins are a good trade-off since I've never stayed in one.

In case you haven't seen the announcement, "codes" came out yesterday offering discounts through 12/25. Dreams Unlimited on this site can help you weed through them. I even got an e-mail direct from the Disney Club announcing the specials. You might want to give the DVC resorts another try. There might be something available.

First of all, I know LOTS of people with points for rent! :D Have you posted over on the rent/trade board?? I posted there last week and had about 20 emails from people wanting to sell me their points. ;)

I know exactly what you are going through... we can't stand staying in a regular room either. We love the 2 bedroom villa at OKW... it's perfect for us. :D We tried a Wilderness Cabin once but it was terrible!!

Other ideas:
Wilderness Lodge Junior suite
Grand Floridian Lodge Tower room
Yacht Club Junior suite
Boardwalk Inn Garden suite
Animal Kingdom Lodge one bedroom suite
2 adjoining rooms at a value or moderate resort resort

Good Luck!!! :D

Hi TigrLvsPooh- I was able to find people with points, but no availablility for my entire stay. Since its right before Thanksgiving, I can't seem to get my whole stay at one place and I really don't want to switch resorts.

You mentioned that your stay at FW Cabins was terrible. What didn't you like about it? I'd be interested if it was some of the same things that I wouldn't like!!

Thanks

Well, lets see. It's very "outdoorsy"... kinda like camping. You walk through dirt, grass, and mud (if it's been raining) to get to your cabin. The cabins are basically trailers with some wood nailed up on the outside of them. It felt very closterphobic inside... the ceiling seemed low and it was always dark (very wooded area, not much light). The beds are very small and we felt very crowded. I was just miserable the whole time because I didn't like being wet and having all my clothes feeling damp. It was like being a girl scout again. LOL ;)

It basically boils down to this... when you go to WDW do you pack your new Nine West sandals or hiking boots?? LOL ;) It just wasn't my taste. I'm more of an "indoor girl". ;)

BUT, many people love the cabins, so this is just my opinion. I am very spoiled. ;)

I just want to correct one thing - the old type of cabins (Wilderness Homes) that you decribed are all gone now. They've been replaced by beautiful cabins that are bright and cheery! The location is wonderful - quick boat ride to the MK! And, the bus service is very good now - with buses going to all the other parks and waterparks.

Your daughter might enjoy the petting farm and the horse barn! You can also go to the campfire program at night and join in the singalong with Chip & Dale around a big campfire while roasting marshmallows! Then, after the fire, they show a Disney movie on the outdoor screen. It's a lot of fun - and a nice relaxing way to spend an evening!

The cabins are all very clean and have all the kitchen appliances that you need. They also offer daily housekeeping, just like the other resorts. You have your own private deck with a bbq grill too, if you want to utilize it. They clean it out for you every day, as well as do your dishes!

I don't think you would be disappointed in the cabins at all! If you come over to the Fort Wilderness board, you can ask some more specific questions! There are some wonderful people, just dying to give you answers! :D Here's a link:
Fort Wilderness Board

You might also want to think about the BC--put the crib over near the closet kind of set back in by where the sinks are so she can't see you.

Anne

We have a family member who has stayed at Deluxes(GF for one) and they also used a cabin with the grandkids and they loved it, the extra room for the kids was great and the bedroom so they could nap without being bothered while adults could watch tv,play cards etc.in the other room.Plenty of things to keep the little ones busy. Boat to MK is good too! :D

riggins: I am going down that week at OKW. I have an extra 2 bedroom rented for friends that just had to cancel yesterday that I would be willing to rent. Just sent you a pm.

TigrLvsPooh...........DH and I were cracking up..........."Are you the type that packs her new Nine West sandals or hiking boots when you go on vacation?" LOL Laurie :D

I love it I guess I am the nine west kinda girl. I have to have my good walking shoes for the parks though. I loved the OKW the extra space is great but when my son was little we took sheets and made him a tent around his crib and he thought it was great. I can't for the life of me remember how DH did it. I was worried it would suffocate the child but Danny thought it was the coolest thing. I'll ask DH if he can remember when he gets home and I'll post it. It involved bamboo poles we had in the car??? We are weird.

Actually we WERE in the new cabins. In fact, they were *very* new in Dec. of 98. It wasn't the cabin itself that was the problem, it was the location. It was very rainy and stormy while we were there and everything in our cabin was wet. Our clothes were damp, we'd have to take our shoes off at the door and leave them outside, and animals came up on our little porch to do their "business" (if you know what I mean).

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, but I just didn't enjoy the cabins and thought I'd share my opinion. ;) Other members of my family (my dad and brother in law) loved the cabins and are always suggesting we go back. Maybe it's more of a "manly" vacation?? LOL :D We also had a lot of trouble with the buses. Chip and Dale buses transer to Crockett bus, then to the TTC, then to MGM. Big pain in the butt. Even to get over to the MK boat we'd have to wait a long time for a bus to get over to the boat launch.

OK... I'm done now! LOL ;) I'll be good from now on and not slam FW! :D

LvsTnk - You should have seen me sloshing through the mud one day in linen pants trying to get to the little store to buy a coke! LOL I ended up buying 2 new "outdoorsy" type outfits at the general store! LOL ;)

If things don't work out with nisiemouse. You could also check back periodically with the vacation club resorts. Not only are the cancellations, but the BCV inventory keeps opening up as more villas are sold.

TigrLvsPooh... You are too funny. I agree, I just could never see myself at a woodsy, outdoor type of resort. I know Wilderness Lodge is beautiful, but I don't want to stay there either. Don't flame me for that please, its just not my taste, I didn't even like AKL. I loved seeing the animals when I woke up for thing in the AM, it was a great experience, I just wouldn't do it again. Decor was just too dark and there wasn't enough lighting. To each is own, that is why it is a good thing there are different resorts.

I feel the same way about WL, I have no desire to stay there, but many people love it. :D

"There's something for everyone"! ;)

IMHO there is no comparison to Bc and Fort wilderness!!!
If you are the snob that I am. lol lol :D You will LOVE Bc you will love the pool for your DD!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter