Resort Survey ... on Resort Fees

"Resort Fees" should be illegal, if you're going to charge to use the "resort", then it should be included in the room rate, weather that means increasing the room rate or not.

We stopped at a hotel in Orlando on arrival night at like 130 am, booked the room through price line and were going to be out of the room by 630, so less than 5 hours in the room. We were hit with a $12 "resort" fee, when asked about it I was told so we could use the pool and other things. Keep in mind the pool was closed.

I told the front desk clerk I wasn't going to pay it, and was informed that I wasn't allowed to stay if i didnt pay it.

Its misleading and wrong.

Yep, Hilton in DTD did this to us on our first trip when we booked through Priceline for both a parking fee and some sort of mandatory resort/WiFi fee. If they include it in the total cost of the room that you agree to pay when you book then fine. But I hate when I agree to pay this much and I get there and its like "by the way, there's these $30/night fees". Just let me know what I have to pay when I book so I can decide if that's the price I'm willing to pay to stay at your hotel or if I'd rather pay a few bucks more and stay somewhere else.

Yep, Hilton in DTD did this to us on our first trip when we booked through Priceline for both a parking fee and some sort of mandatory resort/WiFi fee. If they include it in the total cost of the room that you agree to pay when you book then fine. But I hate when I agree to pay this much and I get there and its like "by the way, there's these $30/night fees". Just let me know what I have to pay when I book so I can decided if that's the price I'm willing to pay to stay at your hotel or if I'd rather pay a few bucks more and stay somewhere else.

To me its equivalent to the service fees that are tacked onto concert tickets that amount to almost the price of the actual ticket. Add them into the cost of the ticket, otherwise it's really false advertising.

If i can't get the product at the price you're advertising it at, its false advertising.

YUP....you are right capegirl and it's ridiculous.....there were SO MANY times over the years where my husband or I had to stay behind with one of the kids when they were sick or needed a nap and there was NOTHING to watch. It's crazy and so behind the times of what other resorts offer. they have like 30 stations and 15 of them are about Disney parks, resorts, DVC etc.......:badpc:

I like the "Disney Must Dos" with Stacy. Sometimes I even watch it on YouTube when I'm vacation planning :rotfl2:

To me its equivalent to the service fees that are tacked onto concert tickets that amount to almost the price of the actual ticket. Add them into the cost of the ticket, otherwise it's really false advertising.

If i can't get the product at the price you're advertising it at, its false advertising.

Yep. I just bought some concert tickets today that had $14/ticket in service fees. If they would have kept those fees hidden and then tried to charge them at the gate for our 4 tickets (which is basically what hotels do when they do this) I would be livid. It sounds like maybe this has been outlawed recently? I sure hope so. Like you, I wish these fees weren't allowed at all and they were required to add them into the "advertised" price instead of trying to hook people and then adding the fees :rolleyes:

I don't believe DVC members staying on points wlll be subject to a resort fee. We already pay our share of annual fees via dues. At worst, perhaps a fee for every vehicle exceeding the booked bedroom (i.e. studio & 1 BR = 1 car, 2 BR = 2, etc.)

While i'm not a fan of paying resort fees, I do expect to pay them for deluxe properties that offer many amenities. However, IMO disney has said fees already rolled into their rates. When you look at their moderate & deluxe properties...some of which, if they weren't located inside WDW would be hard-pressed to fairly be termed moderate or deluxe.:rolleyes1

While we usually rent a car, I do feel it's more equitable to assess a parking fee as the Loews propertis do (for CRO reservations not DVC) vs resort fees for everybody:rainbow:. Perhaps it would even make it easier to find a space to self park at BWV.
I can certaintly understand your side being that you've already paid a significant amount (potentially..just my assumption) for DVC and I agree it would be pretty darn crappy of them to charge for DVC members.

But the problem with the amenities included in the rumored resort fee are not ones that can be compared to elsewhere and are ones that Disney created themselves.

If they said the resort fee is for housekeeping/mousekeeping (that should be stellar to match the fee) or for certain children's activities that do seem above and beyond what would normally seem just part of the Disney magic that makes more sense (though I'm still against resorts fees period) than to say it's for MB, FP+ (at 60 days), Wifi, parking at resorts/parks, extra magic hours, Magical Express, and WiFi (appearantly at the resorts only)..aside from wifi and parking all other things are actually programs Disney themselves created. Resort fees at other hotels are generally not to cover programs that the hotel chain created themselves..they are usually for the day to day humdrum stuff.

As a side note the parking situation you mentioned is due to your location and nearness to two parks (EPCOT and DHS) rather than an overall issue with finding parking spots at all other WDW resorts.

ETA: Next trip we will have 2 rooms (so double the resort fees than a person with just 1 room) but we will only have 1 car..doesn't that mean I should get a discount (lol) for only taking up one car space instead of two if you look at the number of rooms used?

Last edited:
On our last trip, we looked into staying at Cabana Bay instead of at a Disney Value as our pricing was within $5 of each other at that time. Knowing the DME was already rolled into the price versus having to pay even more for transportation back and forth from the airport to Cabana Bay was actually what tipped the scale in Disney's favor. If the DME would no longer be a 'free amenity', and they don't lower the average resort cost as a zero sum change, then the scale is going to tip back to off-site stays for me.

In regards to the wifi fee, it makes me very angry to consider that they pushed this huge internet-dependent next gen system to the guests and then to start talking about an additional fee to basically have the ability to access it.

I don't see anything on that proposed list that is of new value or that can be considered as plussing the experience. It's just turning around and saying "we're jacking up the price but not offering you anything that you weren't already getting in your original cost".

I can certaintly understand your side being that you've already paid a significant amount (potentially..just my assumption) for DVC and I agree it would be pretty darn crappy of them to charge for DVC members.

But the problem with the amenities included in the rumored resort fee are not ones that can be compared to elsewhere and are ones that Disney created themselves.

If they said the resort fee is for housekeeping/mousekeeping (that should be stellar to match the fee) or for certain children's activities that do seem above and beyond what would normally seem just part of the Disney magic that makes more sense (though I'm still against resorts fees period) than to say it's for MB, FP+ (at 60 days), Wifi, parking at resorts/parks, extra magic hours, Magical Express, and WiFi (appearantly at the resorts only)..aside from wifi and parking all other things are actually programs Disney themselves created. Resort fees at other hotels are generally not to cover programs that the hotel chain created themselves..they are usually for the day to day humdrum stuff.

As a side note the parking situation you mentioned is due to your location and nearness to two parks (EPCOT and DHS) rather than an overall issue with finding parking spots at all other WDW resorts.

ETA: Next trip we will have 2 rooms (so double the resort fees than a person with just 1 room) but we will only have 1 car..doesn't that mean I should get a discount (lol) for only taking up one car space instead of two if you look at the number of rooms used?

/\ sure, tell them Keishashadow said so lol

we have experienced parking issues at WL to a lesser degree, usually on a MK party night. I wish they'd institute a key card method, refigure the lots & restrict non-guests to a separate location. There is always valet parking option for those who want to dine and stay.

resort fees should be directly related to it's cost of operations, not the nearby amusement park. Many DVC members indicate they often visit 'their home' but don't step foot inside a park. Full disclosure - not me, couldn't imagine being so close with the MK calling!

To assess fees directly related to magic band and FP+ (both of which many here will argue were force-fed proposition) isn't a fair distribution of costs to either CRO or DVC members staying on points. If anything, why not go with a ala-carte methodology, wherein the non-standard type benefits are assessed a nomimal fee: ME, magic bands & parking at the resorts (except for DVC, 'a home' usually entails having a parking space).

I get many surveys asking how I feel about new ideas at Universal, usually as to various ticket offerings/pricing, type of attractions I enjoy, and overall personal & vacation related demographics. Disney knows they own me, haven't been asked for my opinion in any way shape or form. That said, the surveys I have received request confidentiality and one's agreement to their terms. Surprised to find a site (not disboards) possibly sharing this information without a cease & desist order being issued from Disney.

While I wouldn't be surprised on this one - Disney sends out all kinds of surveys regarding hotels.
Last year I got one after I stayed at POFQ.
Here are just a few of the items it asked me if I would be interested in or find valuable regarding my room:

- Towel Warmer
- Robes and disposable slippers
- Bedside control of lights, thermostat and drapes
- Microwave
- In Room Smart TV
- Borrowing special phones
- View fireworks on my room tv
- Reading materials on Disney History and storybooks - that I can take home
- Ability to select pillow styles
- Complimentary 32 oz water
- Hardwood floor or vinyl instead of carpet
- Filtered water dispenser
- White noise machine
- Viewing of hotel bill and booking of hotel services on phone
- Dimmable lights
- Step tools and toilets with built in child seats
- Touch screen device allowing MDE booking etc
- Utilizing smart tv as a computer
- Bathroom scale
- Xbox or Wii in room
- In room snacks
- Smart TV had about 14 options but equal to computer uses
- HUGE list of bathrooms options both in design and extras

AND the list went on and on. They are always testing the waters so hopefully they get LOTS of NEGATIVITY on this slippery slope.

The list may go on and on with things that never come to fruition, but THIS survey will most likely come true!

/\ sure, tell them Keishashadow said so lol

we have experienced parking issues at WL to a lesser degree, usually on a MK party night. I wish they'd institute a key card method, refigure the lots & restrict non-guests to a separate location. There is always valet parking option for those who want to dine and stay.

resort fees should be directly related to it's cost of operations, not the nearby amusement park. Many DVC members indicate they often visit 'their home' but don't step foot inside a park. Full disclosure - not me, couldn't imagine being so close with the MK calling!

To assess fees directly related to magic band and FP+ (both of which many here will argue were force-fed proposition) isn't a fair distribution of costs to either CRO or DVC members staying on points. If anything, why not go with a ala-carte methodology, wherein the non-standard type benefits are assessed a nomimal fee: ME, magic bands & parking at the resorts (except for DVC, 'a home' usually entails having a parking space).

I get many surveys asking how I feel about new ideas at Universal, usually as to various ticket offerings/pricing, type of attractions I enjoy, and overall personal & vacation related demographics. Disney knows they own me, haven't been asked for my opinion in any way shape or form. That said, the surveys I have received request confidentiality and one's agreement to their terms. Surprised to find a site (not disboards) possibly sharing this information without a cease & desist order being issued from Disney.
:rotfl:

Yeah I agree with what you've said. That was kinda my point on the resort fees, even though I'm against them in general, for Disney (if they were to implement them) shouldn't charge for what they created and for what they pride themselves on being part of the whole magical vacation..it should be related to what is related to the actual resort.

I've often thought how frustrating one would be on all sides when someone goes to park to either go to their room, go to the parks, or go to dinner..I get the parks part (I mean you really should park at the park's official parking if you can) but parking for your room and dining is a bit more tricky. I mean you really do want the ability to go to other places to eat and of course Disney won't mind that one bit but it does eat up parking spots for just those trying to go back to their room.

Yep. I've been on The DIS for 15years. We complain, but then we pay up.

(That said, I have only stayed deluxe once and it was because I got an amazing deal. I think they're way too overpriced and prefer the moderates. So hopefully this won't apply to the mods and values)

I would think it the other way around...
The Deluxe resorts should be exempt from it because of already paying the highest rates! LOL

Yes, but I bet overall your nightly rate, including resort fees and parking, was significantly less than an equivalent (if there are any) WDW hotel. We stay onsite at Universal, where they charge parking. Even with that, I can usually stay at a Uni deluxe resort with discounts for less than I can stay at a Disney moderate. The complaint here is not the resort fee per se, but that Disney already charges a significant premium for these things for which they supposedly want to charge a resort fee. We are saying that the extra amenities are already included in the high nightly costs. If they want to raise rates by $15 a night, it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Let's be honest here... does anyone really think Disney would ONLY tack on a $15/night resort fee and call it a day?
Of course NOT, this would be IN ADDITION TO the yearly resort rate increase! (whatever THAT ends up being...and probably lower seasonal discounts)

Like a lot of people are saying, this would definitely affect my yearly visit. Instead of staying two weeks with 10-day park hopper tickets at a Deluxe resort, I will save money by only going 4-days, sans hopper. That's an 8-day loss of revenue for resort AND food, AND a 6-day loss for park tickets/hopper!

Just my two-cents... (a most proper charge for my thoughts on the matter! LOL)

I refuse to pay resort fees ANYWHERE. If Disney goes this route, my wife and I will sell our DVC timeshare and use the money for more trips to beautiful Daytona Beach. We've stayed at a wonderful hotel there right on the beach with two pools, an outdoor Tiki bar, free hot breakfast and happy hour, a good restaurant and free parking. We've been DVC members since 1996, but we'll be more than happy to return to Daytona and kiss Disney goodbye!

I refuse to pay resort fees ANYWHERE. If Disney goes this route, my wife and I will sell our DVC timeshare and use the money for more trips to beautiful Daytona Beach. We've stayed at a wonderful hotel there right on the beach with two pools, an outdoor Tiki bar, free hot breakfast and happy hour, a good restaurant and free parking. We've been DVC members since 1996, but we'll be more than happy to return to Daytona and kiss Disney goodbye!
I don't believe this would apply to DVC at all.

Boy, Disney is really putting the nail in the coffin. The way I read it is you have a choice of paying the extra resort fee which would include all we've had before: 60 day FP+, MBs, DME, etc OR not paying a resort fee end getting nothing.
Don't know If I'm reading it correctly.

I hope it doesn't come to pass. Prices are spiralling out of control. Those DTD hotels are looking better & better. You can get a special discount code from mousesavers that freq. waive resort fees. And not all the hotels there have them. I've never stayed in a hotel that charged them, and not plan on paying them any time soon. There's plenty of nice hotels that don't charge fees.

May be time to start looking at other places to vacation.

YUP....you are right capegirl and it's ridiculous.....there were SO MANY times over the years where my husband or I had to stay behind with one of the kids when they were sick or needed a nap and there was NOTHING to watch. It's crazy and so behind the times of what other resorts offer. they have like 30 stations and 15 of them are about Disney parks, resorts, DVC etc.......:badpc:

Agreed.... I started watch shows on my laptop during nap time bc the cable is so bad!

maybe i didn't look hard enough when booking last year, but we did have to pay a resort fee at the Hilton there. Most of the other properties I checked had one too...care to share what property this is so I can check their rates next visit?

I wonder if the amount of negativity they are getting will sway them in their surveying. How many people have sworn off staying on Disney because a survey asked what their thoughts would be on a resort fee? I wonder if the Disney Research people will be a lot more careful in what they put into a survey from here on.

I wonder if the amount of negativity they are getting will sway them in their surveying. How many people have sworn off staying on Disney because a survey asked what their thoughts would be on a resort fee? I wonder if the Disney Research people will be a lot more careful in what they put into a survey from here on.

I doubt may people will take precipitous action just based on a survey. Part of the purpose of these surveys is to gauge what the reaction to a change like this would be. Hopefully there was enough negative reaction on this one they won't go forward with it.

I'm guessing part of the thought was that they could artificially "lower" room rates by offloading some of the charges. My guess is that when booking the big number you'd see would be the room rate and then the other stuff would be tacked on in the shopping cart (rather like with airlines).

I don't believe this would apply to DVC at all.

I mean, I would hope you would be right, but I can't see why. This stuff isn't included in Maint Fees, or in the contracts themselves.

Disney is switching more and more rooms to DVC, this would be a great revenue stream for them. Heck it might even be to try and bring in more revenue from those rooms which sold on contract years and years ago but dues obv haven't been able to increase in price like Disney has increased the price of rooms.

I would think that even if these didn't apply to DVC on launch, I bet they would eventually, a year, 2, 3 maybe down the road. Maybe first discounted, and then slowly creep up.

But, I also wouldn't be surprised if they just applied right out of the gate. What are we going to do, sell our DVC packages ? Great, sell em, Disney doesn't care, as long as someone buys them, rents, them, shows up and pays the resort fee, Disney would be ahead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter