• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Resort Switch by Disney Due to Poly Closure Through Summer 2021 - Please Post Your Experiences

So when I found out, I emailed our TA so he may have gotten the ball rolling. We were supposed to go this year and had to cancel due to Covid. We booked for next year for my huge 40th birthday celebration and my dream was to stay at the Poly since that's where my parents took me all the time. I read things and get nervous and email my TA.
You can still stay at the Poly. You would just need to rent points off of a DVC owner. The only side that is closing is the resort side. DVC is still open.

@duke3853 you can still stay at the Bungalows & Villas on a cash reservation directly with Disney reservations there is no need to rent points unless you chose that option.

Dave
My apologies. I should have stated that renting points was just one option. For me it's just always been a cheaper option. That's why it would be my recommendation....not the only option.

No apologies needed or expected and I hope my post did not imply that tone to you.

I just wanted to clarify since there have been some very ugly DVC point rental issues due to the Pandemic. I agree that renting point can be a great value to enjoy a Deluxe DVC vacation if your dates are fixed and you don't need any flexibility to shift your dates.

Dave

We were booked for a 10/14-10/18 stay at the Poly. I called last night - and after waiting for 2.5 hours - they picked up. She offered to move me to GF - but it was at a higher rate by about $500+. I discussed that I wasn't willing to go another price increase (Originally BC -> Poly) and she put me on hold. They approved me to keep my Poly rate but go to GF. I am in an outer building garden view room right now, booked on a military discount.

Has anyone rented from the DVC Rental Store aNd heard back yet? We are booked through them for the Poly in November.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that but was really hoping to use the monorail since we have young kids. I will see if they can move us to another resort.

Will any resort restaurants be open during the closure? We are DVC. Our first time staying at the Poly so not sure what is available to us.

Will any resort restaurants be open during the closure? We are DVC. Our first time staying at the Poly so not sure what is available to us.

Obviously whenever pending construction is on deck you never quite know what Disney may be up to and it is usually a good idea to pay close attention to announcements, but yesterday's news didn't include anything specific about changes to what is otherwise currently available now, which for reference I've summarized below:

Open
Kona Cafe
Captain Cooks
Tambu Lounge
Barefoot Pool Bar
Pineapple Lanai

Closed
Ohana
Oasis Bar & Grill
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace
Kona Island
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
Room Service

Obviously whenever pending construction is on deck you never quite know what Disney may be up to and it is usually a good idea to pay close attention to announcements, but yesterday's news didn't include anything specific about changes to what is otherwise currently available now, which for reference I've summarized below:

Open
Kona Cafe
Captain Cooks
Tambu Lounge
Barefoot Pool Bar
Pineapple Lanai

Closed
Oahana
Oasis Bar & Grill
Trader Sam's Grog Grotto
Trader Sam's Tiki Terrace
Kona Island
Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show
Room Service

Thank you so much. This is very helpful!

You can still stay at the Poly. You would just need to rent points off of a DVC owner. The only side that is closing is the resort side. DVC is still open.
For those who have done this, do you think DVC availability for points rental will increase or decrease with the news of the resort side closing? Wondering if this would be an option for us to look into for April 2021 (had to cancel our 2020 Poly stay w/price protection)

For those who have done this, do you think DVC availability for points rental will increase or decrease with the news of the resort side closing? Wondering if this would be an option for us to look into for April 2021 (had to cancel our 2020 Poly stay w/price protection)
I would think that it may become harder to rent points the further the closures go. IF supply of rooms does down and the demand for points goes up prices of points will go up also. I would recommend booking asap if that is your plan.

Thanks. I wasn’t aware of that but was really hoping to use the monorail since we have young kids. I will see if they can move us to another resort.
It's very difficult to move resorts when renting DVC points. It's really dependent upon the owner and availability. With that said, the TTC is closer the DVC buildings. We always walked there rather than the ceremonial house when we stayed there. We also perferred the ferry over the monorail.

We had a rental request with the DVC Rental Store for next July that has been open for about a month waiting for a member... and it was just picked up today. Thought the timing was curious after the announcement - we may have been fortunate if it turns out it there will be more difficulties securing reservations there with the closures.

We had a rental request with the DVC Rental Store for next July that has been open for about a month waiting for a member... and it was just picked up today. Thought the timing was curious after the announcement - we may have been fortunate if it turns out it there will be more difficulties securing reservations there with the closures.
How does that work? Did you put in for a certain date and then have to wait for someone to offer you a rental?

I called Disney about another issue and asked the CM about my December 2 nights at the Poly. She moved me to the studio side, which is what I was hoping for. She also offered contemporary.

We are staying 12/27 to 1/2. We were switched to Contemporary Lake View because I wanted two real beds not a sleeper sofa. They were going to try to move us to the Villas if available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter