Resorts Worth Staying Off-Property For?

MinnesoTristan

Mouseketeer
I’m wondering what some of the nicer off-property resorts are in Orlando. Some of the ones I’m interested in include:
Swan/Dolphin (on property, but not Disney).
Hilton Bonnet Creek/Waldorf Astoria
Gaylord Palms
Has anyone stayed in one of these, and would you recommend? I’m asking because there are decent credit card bonuses available that could potentially cover a stay, but Disney resorts don’t accept points.

We've stayed at the Swan. It was nice and you can't beat the location. We loved being able to walk into Epcot.

We haven't stayed at the Gaylord but we've been there numerous times and we have stayed at their property in Maryland several times (and our daughter has stayed at the one in Nashville). The Gaylord properties are all fantastic.

I just stayed at Gaylord for Halloween with Marriott free night and had a lot of fun. I will get the room with central courtyard balcony when I return before Xmas .
I noticed their outdoor has a surf pool. Fun to watch .
LOTS of activities for children!
And theme POP UP Movies How can you resist?
Tonight I am going to nearby Give Kids the World Night of a Million Lights!

And I LUV Hilton Bonnet Creek !!! My go to with Hilton Points

Thanks for the tips, another one I thought of that might be fun is the Grand Bohemian in Celebration, as I believe they are under the Marriott umbrella too. I’m glad to hear that there are good options!

The GB in Celebration is small but Classic Resort. I have only entered the lobby . It seems very nice but traffic might be a problem if you plan holiday visit. Today the central street is blocked off for traditional decorations. It looks like a stage is being built .... they usually have ice rink and “ snow” . A few nice gift shops and restaurants . Pizza is very popular and can get it by slice or whole size to go. A new Beignet Restaurant has just opened and seems popular with locals with indoor & outdoor seating.... Masks are not mandatory it seems for this town!
Bike rentals nearby and scooters and nice walking paths to explore!

I really enjoyed staying at vistana resort on idrive..
It was pre covid but it was wonderful having a full kitchen, 2 bedrooms and a living room washer and dryer and all the nightly activities. I could spend the whole week and be happy without any park days.
Used spg/ bonvoy credits

was just thinking about this with regard to October 1!

I've stayed at a few of them. I would definitely pick Swan/Dolphin due to the proximity to the parks and Disney bus transportation. Although I like Westin properties more than Sheraton properties, we prefer the Dolphin over Swan. The tall tower allows for nice views and there are more food options at the Dolphin.

That being said, we do love the Gaylord. You just have to be ready for either parking charges OR frequent uber rides. An uber from Gaylord to DHS was cheap (~$8)- but getting up the Magic Kingdom area- we racked up quite a tab.

I've stayed at a few of them. I would definitely pick Swan/Dolphin due to the proximity to the parks and Disney bus transportation. Although I like Westin properties more than Sheraton properties, we prefer the Dolphin over Swan. The tall tower allows for nice views and there are more food options at the Dolphin.

That being said, we do love the Gaylord. You just have to be ready for either parking charges OR frequent uber rides. An uber from Gaylord to DHS was cheap (~$8)- but getting up the Magic Kingdom area- we racked up quite a tab.
The Swan/Dolphin no longer offer Disney bus transportation. They have switched to using Mears

Anyone have any experience with Double Tree Suites near Disney Springs?

I have a couple of times, once for a week and once just for a night. It’s a fine hotel, but not a “resort”. If it’s just for a place to sleep, it’s okay. Nothing special. You can walk to the Crossroads shopping center for food options, but other than that, it’s just okay.

Assuming its just a different bus - but operates the same way and at the same locations?
The S/D buses don’t drop off at the park bus depots the Disney buses use. They drop off and pick up in the charter/offsite hotel bus areas, for example at the TTC for MK. The Friendship boats that travel between DHS and Epcot do still stop at S/D, though.

I'm really looking forward to Marriott Lakeshore Reserve a little more than a year from now. Great place and a Category 5 (wow)

We have stayed at Bonnet Creek Hilton, several times and we are locals. It has a great pool, and it really nice. Rooms are very nice, and nice bedding as always with Hilton. As well it is an official Disney Hotel, with that extra magic hours and such are included, as well as buses to the parks, If your not wanting to use the buses, Uber is super easy to get from here...

We have also stayed once at each the Swan and Dolphin, only for 1 night, both times it was for a wedding. Nice rooms, it was like really any other Hotel or resort that we have stayed at on holiday. Just that a hotel room... The one perk is that the Disney buses and friendship boats are right there...

The S/D buses don’t drop off at the park bus depots the Disney buses use. They drop off and pick up in the charter/offsite hotel bus areas, for example at the TTC for MK. The Friendship boats that travel between DHS and Epcot do still stop at S/D, though.

Yuck. I would just walk to Yacht Club and take their bus rather than deal with the TTC.

Anyone have any experience with Double Tree Suites near Disney Springs?

Yeah me. They have huge rooms with high ceilings.
I prefer this place if they have extra magic hours/disney shuttle given the lower cost and the big rooms and living room area for a Disney Springs hotel.

It's about a 12-15 minute walk to Disney Springs, so on the far end but only a 5 minute walk north to all the fast food and restaurants. There's also a lynx bus that stops right in front that will take you to Disney Spring or the Disney Transportation Center.

But right now given there is no extra magic perks, it's not a good deal.

I’m wondering what some of the nicer off-property resorts are in Orlando. Some of the ones I’m interested in include:
Swan/Dolphin (on property, but not Disney).
Hilton Bonnet Creek/Waldorf Astoria
Gaylord Palms
Has anyone stayed in one of these, and would you recommend? I’m asking because there are decent credit card bonuses available that could potentially cover a stay, but Disney resorts don’t accept points.
Gaylord is a real resort with a really nice atrium area.

I don't consider Swan/Dolphin a resort but just a hotel. Maybe when they first opened 40 years ago they were a resort but not now. The only really good thing about Swan/Dolphin is that it is in the Boardwalk/Epcot/DHS area but then why not just stay at a real resort like Beach Club or Boardwalk.

And just some advice, but save your hotel bonus points for hotels in Europe or Asia. It's a waste to use them in the US. The same 20,000 points that you use for a free night at a US Hampton Inn can get you a $350-$500 stay at one of the best hotels in a city overseas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter