Rest day question

ZenDaisy

Earning My Ears
I know it's been done before, talking about things you can do on rest days... But usually those answers include the pool or a waterpark. I'm not anticipating being able to swim this upcoming trip, unfortunately. We're staying at the Poly, and the pool will be closed. They include passes to the waterparks, but I don't think we want to be going in the winter (if it's even open).

Our kids are 7 year old boy, 7 year old girl, and 2 year old girl.
We already have one Fort Wilderness day planned, as well as Downtown Disney nights. (If we didn't have the toddler, we might go to Splitsville or a movie with the kids that afternoon, but yeah, toddler.)
We've explored many of the resorts before. I suppose we could go to, say, CBR and play on the playground there - but wait, can we even park there if we're not guests? I didn't even think of that.
We might take a venture out to AKL, perhaps with a meal included, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest in that.
We will have a car, and could theoretically go offsite. DS is crazy about Lego's, so we were thinking LEGOLAND, but especially considering this is going to be a weekend (Saturday) maybe it'd be crowded - plus I'm not sure how the toddler would handle it. (I've never been.)
We've been to Broadway before and it was a bit of a letdown - probably because of the ages of our kids. (Not old enough for the bars, lol.) Renting one of those bike cars might be fun, but that's like, what... 30 minutes at most? Not exactly a whole day thing.

Any suggestions on what sort of itinerary you would have for our family? Go ahead, surprise me. :bitelip:

(PS - DH and I are having our date night at Shula's that night (late ressie)! Yay, can't wait to try it.)

I'm guessing you are going soon? Maybe you could really just plan it as a 'rest'/whatever everyone wants to do day? Do you just have waterpark passes or can you swim at other resorts too? You never know, the waterparks may be open, I thought I heard someone talking about them during our early February trip on the bus. Maybe see how everyone feels, bring some movies, get some snacks. Are you doing a night watching the outdoor movie/making smores somewhere? I loved Port Orleans Riverside, there was the option to fish (you do have to pay of course ;) ) and it is a beautiful resort with a good food court, lots of walking paths and you can walk to Port Orleans French Quarter along the river. My kids liked spotting lizards on the plants LOL they don't see those around here ;)

since you'll have a car you could try these ideas.

Gatorland (my 4&5 year old loved it)
Outlet shopping
mini golf (either Disney or in Orlando)
Ripley's Believe it or Not
Hot Air Balloon ride

I know it's been done before, talking about things you can do on rest days... But usually those answers include the pool or a waterpark. I'm not anticipating being able to swim this upcoming trip, unfortunately. We're staying at the Poly, and the pool will be closed. They include passes to the waterparks, but I don't think we want to be going in the winter (if it's even open).

Our kids are 7 year old boy, 7 year old girl, and 2 year old girl.
We already have one Fort Wilderness day planned, as well as Downtown Disney nights. (If we didn't have the toddler, we might go to Splitsville or a movie with the kids that afternoon, but yeah, toddler.)
We've explored many of the resorts before. I suppose we could go to, say, CBR and play on the playground there - but wait, can we even park there if we're not guests? I didn't even think of that.
We might take a venture out to AKL, perhaps with a meal included, but I'm not sure if there's enough interest in that.
We will have a car, and could theoretically go offsite. DS is crazy about Lego's, so we were thinking LEGOLAND, but especially considering this is going to be a weekend (Saturday) maybe it'd be crowded - plus I'm not sure how the toddler would handle it. (I've never been.)
We've been to Broadway before and it was a bit of a letdown - probably because of the ages of our kids. (Not old enough for the bars, lol.) Renting one of those bike cars might be fun, but that's like, what... 30 minutes at most? Not exactly a whole day thing.

Any suggestions on what sort of itinerary you would have for our family? Go ahead, surprise me. :bitelip:

(PS - DH and I are having our date night at Shula's that night (late ressie)! Yay, can't wait to try it.)

You could check out Artegon Mall, ( it the old Festival Bay mall) Its located on I drive right down from the outlet mall, it has indoor, glow in the dark mini golf and game room and a climbing jungle gym thing, in the center court, they harness you up, we go there a lot to the movies and see people of all ages climbing around, they also have a area for the little ones to climb as well, There is a movie theater, I used to take my DD to the movies when she was 2, and as long as it was a Disney movie she would not move during the whole movie. I would take in a juice box and a snack for her, and she was good. There are little artist type booths through out the center of the mall, everything from paintings, drawing, Bonsai trees, leather work, soaps, candles, the artist are right there to talk to and you buy from them directly. There is a book warehouse, that has really good prices. Bass pro shop, Shepler, Skate park, and has a couple of restaurant's - Fudruckers, and Toby Keith Bar and Grill, but there is a subway, ice cream shop, as well.

What about Disney Quest for a afternoon, lots and lots to do in there. There is also mini golf at Disney.

We always plan our rest day for downtown disney & the pool!! Also fun to explore other hotels

Do another park day..... the low key way if you want. It cost much less to add a day or two to your base tickets than to do other things. We tried taking a day off many years ago and everyone just want to go to a park. You could still sleep in if you need it, set your FP for late morning is case you want a short day and just go slow and easy. Play in the play area, ride rides that are not too long a line, see a few of the less popular shows, have lunch CS and just soak up the magic. WS is great for a day like this.

We had a great time at Green Meadows Petting Farm, its only about 25 minutes from WDW. You mentioned winter, I know the Gaylord Palms has their wonderful ICE park in the winter. If you like bowling DTD has Splittsville or you can head over to Universal CityWalk, or go see Cirque du Soleil La Nouba. You can just go resort hopping to see their Christmas displays if you are going during that time.

We always plan rest days and they never include a water park. We take our time getting ready in the morning, spend some time at the pool, visit other resorts or DTD. DH takes DS to the arcade.

This year, one of our rest days DH will take DS to DisneyQuest an DD and I will have some girl time.

You can certainly go to CBR if you aren't a guest. We drive our car everywhere and never have trouble parking.

What about the Boardwalk? That might be fun for the kids to see. You could do mini-golf (may be tough with a toddler though).

Take a boat to DTD from POR (even if you don't get off the boat, it's still a nice ride).

I also like your idea of AKL. Go there just for a quick-service (similar food but different atmosphere) and then walk around to see the animals.

We don't leave Disney when we are there and use rest days to do just that. I wouldn't do another park. If I felt like we had energy to do a park...we'd do one of the Disney Parks.

We do a pool day right in the middle of the trip to give ourselves a recharge day.

Love it! DH and I usually go to Epcot or DTD while my mom stays with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter