Restaurant opinions...

leebee

DIS Veteran
We currently have reservations at California Grill for my birthday dinner in July. We usually LOVE CG and I think it's where I want to eat, especially as we can see the fireworks from the top of the contemporary. However, I've been thinking maybe it's time to try something "new" so have looked over the menus to see what catches my eye. I have a "list" of intriguing places: Captain's Grille, Bluezoo, Maya Grill, Turf Club, Citricos, Raglan Road. I'm wondering... have you eaten at these restaurants? How do they measure up to each other? Would you choose them over California Grill? Is there someplace "off property" that you'd recommend? Please help me decide where to celebrate my birthday!

Never eaten at California Grill, but have eaten at Maya Grill many times. We really enjoy the atmosphere and the food there.

Honestly, for food and atmosphere, I don't think any of the others compare to Cali Grill. You really can't beat that view. We do love bluezoo, but, again, no view, although it could be fun to walk along the Boardwalk after dinner and see the entertainment. Perhaps look at Capa at the Four Seasons?

We currently have reservations at California Grill for my birthday dinner in July. We usually LOVE CG and I think it's where I want to eat, especially as we can see the fireworks from the top of the contemporary. However, I've been thinking maybe it's time to try something "new" so have looked over the menus to see what catches my eye. I have a "list" of intriguing places: Captain's Grille, Bluezoo, Maya Grill, Turf Club, Citricos, Raglan Road. I'm wondering... have you eaten at these restaurants? How do they measure up to each other? Would you choose them over California Grill? Is there someplace "off property" that you'd recommend? Please help me decide where to celebrate my birthday!
We split-stay at Contemporary & Dolphin most every trip the past few years.

We eat at CA Grill & blueZoo every trip when we do stay at Contemporary & Dolphin.

We love blueZoo for the food and 'free' childcare for our young daughter (just turned 8 y.o.).

We have had too many varied meals at CA Grill - ranging from truly magical to OMG that was below expectations. But if attempting to access the fireworks view - this can be worth the price for admission.

Citrico's is lovely. Maybe the best Disney-run Signature for most consistent ambiance, food quality & service.

Raglan Road is a notch below.
Captain's Grille a few notches lower.

I'm not familiar with Maya Grill or Turf Club since we do not stay at these Resorts and would never travel to these Resorts for dinner. But if I was staying at these Resorts, I'd eat there at least once.

Hmmmm...something new? How about Flying Fish? This was one of our favorites last December. It was an excellent combination of good food, stellar service, and fun atmosphere.

I also really enjoyed Tratorria al Forno. My group all had different menu items and all of us were impressed. Again, the service was top notch with knowledgeable and friendly servers , and the food was delicious.

I did not have the pleasure of dining at Citricos, but my family did and they said it was delicious. The food pics they shared made me drool. I was at CRT dining with Royalty that night, so I missed it.

Another meal they had while I took my Princesses to 1900 PF was Sanaa. They found the meal to be well prepared and the service was very good.

Everyone of these restaurants are "birthday" quality, IMO.

If you're willing to forego the view: then how about Jiko or Flying Fish (mentioned above) ?

If you're willing to forego the view: then how about Jiko or Flying Fish (mentioned above) ?

We went to Jiko for our DD's 21st birthday and enjoyed it very much. I'm carefully looking at menus as I eat from the appetizer selection; I had bariatric surgery 6 months ago and just cannot eat a full meal anymore! I don't enjoy sushi, so that comes into play, also. I think maybe California Grill's large selection of sushi is one of the reasons I am looking at other restaurants, with more variety in the appetizer menu. I JUST cannot decide, and there's part of me that thinks I should change my outlook all together and just book HDDR! (we've never done a Disney dinner show... but I really think I want a NICE restaurant experience!)

I'd like to STRONGLY suggest you try Artist Point if you like Cali Grill! It's such a hidden gem with amazing food!

Funny side story: it always seems to rain every time my wife and I have an ADR there, making it feel so much more like the Pacific Northwest the theming indicates! Such a cozy and wonderful dinner every time! :)

Bluezoo! I enjoy CG, but other than the sushi, it can be VERY inconsistent and which table you get is such a variable, no matter how long you're willing to wait, etc. The view of the fireworks on the deck is nice, but DARN its loud in there sometimes and the food and quiet/more polished vibe of the Bluezoo wins out over CG every time, and I do really enjoy CG. I have been on probably 30+ WDW trips which have included at least 1 stop at Bluezoo, sometimes for more than 1 meal, or sometimes a meal and then late night drinks. Its great.

I'd like to STRONGLY suggest you try Artist Point if you like Cali Grill! It's such a hidden gem with amazing food!
TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: Artist Point is easily the best restaurant on property. Food is beyond phenominal. I believe i have some pics in my recent review (link below). CG use to be my fave, but since the refurb they've gone down hill. From start to finish, for both food and service, Artist Point is excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter