Restrooms at Fort Wilderness

Jonathan Friedman

Mouseketeer
My family is seeing Hoop Review and we are going to park our car at the front - we know there’s a bus but we saw the walk is about 1.3 miles which doesn’t look bad at all!
There are multiple restrooms along the way - are they open to the public? We have young kids so just wanted to be sure!

I know there are public bathrooms at the theatre but never needed them going to and from the ferry dock. Have you checked a map of FW? The legend should say if they are open to the public. I would tend to think they are, just like state park bathrooms.

I know there are public bathrooms at the theatre but never needed them going to and from the ferry dock. Have you checked a map of FW? The legend should say if they are open to the public. I would tend to think they are, just like state park bathrooms.
It shows restrooms all along the way, just was curious if they stay unlocked

I believe there are still public bathrooms at the Meadow Trading Post, which is about halfway between the HDD area and the parking lot at FW. I believe they were inside the trading post, so it would need to be open for business, but I didn’t have to use a key to access the restroom itself. I was staying in a cabin, but I believe you need a key card or MB to access the comfort stations, although that may be during the overnight hours only. You might get more info posting on the camping board, if you haven’t already done so.

Any of the comfort stations require staying at FW to gain access via Magic Band to those as they are for the campers.

The public restrooms are in the Meadow Trading Post which is about halfway.

Supposedly, the comfort stations require a magic band to get in (outside of the Meadows or Settlement), but the reality is, not one of the 4 loops I’ve been in have needed one, and that included at night. Now, things change, and this would be the time they started enforcing the rules; however, even when they DID require bands, it wasn’t until later at night.

Also, something to keep in mind, is that it isn’t a straight shot from one end of the Fort to the other; I’ve seen videos of very fit people who decided to walk and regretted it. If your kids are young, they might struggle walking if it’s very hot/humid, which the Fort can tend to get.

Good news is, there are many bus stops along just about every route, so if you have a change of mind, you can just hop on one going toward your destination.

Also we walked from Settlement to Outpost years ago and IIRC there was a portion between Meadows and Outpost without sidewalks.

Am I remembering correctly?

The loop restrooms are open during the day. They require a magic band/key card to open at night.
It's a bit of a hike front to back. Unless you specifically want the exercise, which I'm guessing you get plenty of in the parks, you might consider just riding the internal busses? At least you won't have to worry about locked comfort stations on the way back.

Also we walked from Settlement to Outpost years ago and IIRC there was a portion between Meadows and Outpost without sidewalks.

Am I remembering correctly?

There are always sidewalks on at least one side of the roads.

The walk from Settlement to Oupost is paved the whole way (mostly on the right side of the road which is named Fort Wilderness Trail and the Meadow TP is about halfway).

FWIW, there are 3 internal bus lines at FW that run through different parts of the Fort but all 3 start/end at Oupost and Settlement (Purple, Orange, Yellow) so the internal stops don't matter to you. Simply take the first color available.

HDDR is fun - enjoy it.

Bama Ed

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter