Retired & No Desire to Travel....?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I'm 63 and my DH is a tad older. We aren't working, moved to a 55+ beautiful active neighborhood, have a dog and are financially stable.

All of our friends are flying all over the world, month after month.

I have zero desire to travel, except for an occasional trip to the beach, the mountains and wdw or to see family.

I traveled when I was young working for the air lines and took care of my parents for six years, and honestly, it's nice just sitting and reading or taking the dog for a walk.

Anybody else a homebody when your friends are world travellers?

This is an interesting question that made me think about what someone does, or doesn't want to do, when retired. I am semi-retired and traveled quite a bit across the country during my career, so I really don't have a burning itch to go to the same places I've been before. But I would like to try new experiences and locations that would appeal to my curious side.

I sometimes think of what my dad told me years ago when he retired from MLB. People always asked him, "Now that you have the Gold card (free access to any MLB game for life), why don't you just travel to all the stadiums and watch baseball?" His response was classic to me, "Why would I want to see the same thing I've been a part of for 30 years? Would you want to go back to your job after retiring?"

I guess the answer, to me, is what industry/career someone retired from. That might give insight into travel habits, etc.

I think that would be too much for most retiree’s I know. But hey, if they’ve got the funds, good health, and that’s something they enjoy, good for them! :goodvibes
I have zero desire to travel, except for an occasional trip to the beach, the mountains and wdw or to see family.
That would be the perfect amount of travelling for me. :)
I have a friend who is about to retire. She travels a lot right now for both work and pleasure. She will definitely be go, go, go once she retires. I know she’ll try to talk me into some trips, but I’m more of a homebody, so I’ll be saying no, no, no. Lol.

I guess the answer, to me, is what industry/career someone retired from. That might give insight into travel habits, etc.
So true. I’ve been teaching (mostly at the same school) for over 30 years. I’ve become a creature of habit, more of a planner when it comes to travel. Definitely not impulsive.

The big excitement for me is being able to travel during non-peak school times. Wahoo! Lol.

I traveled a lot for my job and have been all over the US and the world. Now that we’re retired my wife and I are pretty much homebodies except we like to take one trip every fall just to get away together. Other friends of ours don’t travel at all and others take multiple trips a year all over the world. I figure to each their own. If you’ve worked all your life and are now retired, do what makes you happy.

I'm definitely a homebody myself and have zero desire to travel like others do. I just bring my RV with me and I have my home away from home with me. Works perfectly for me and allows me to meet new friends and explore more than I ever did in my younger days.

I'm 63 and my DH is a tad older. We aren't working, moved to a 55+ beautiful active neighborhood, have a dog and are financially stable.

I traveled when I was young working for the air lines and took care of my parents for six years, and honestly, it's nice just sitting and reading or taking the dog for a walk.

Not retired but getting closer. My wife and I have been reading up on this. There tends to be three phases for retires:
  • Go Go years
  • Slow go years
  • No go years
You can speculate why for each category but typically the no go years is due to health or ability.

Perhaps give that some thought if there are any places you’d like to visit or things to do. But overall it’s certainly a personal choice.

For us the joy of retirement is not having to listen to anyone anymore. We were so tired of the 'do this' and 'why was this done'.

My sister is always traveling every where - I mean day trips, international and national trips. She can't figure out why we don't travel more. DH and I traveled quite a bit pre-kids but that was 40 years ago. Plus neither of us really wants to sit on a plane for hours. I traveled with my youngest in '22 to Paris and she noticed I was not taking many pictures. I have so many pictures already from 40 years ago. When I returned home I looked up pictures we'd taken in London 40 years ago and they were the same views - some better views - as I'd seen with DD.

DH would like to do Spring Training again. I wish it was still at the ESPN WWS. I always say we're lazy travelers. We don't like to plan stuff and if we don't plan stuff we end up just sitting at home. We haven't gone anywhere since last October. Our next trip is in May. We pulled into a concierge service offered by DVC, which is a very nice service that is kinda wasted on us because we just like to ramble around. I requested 3 lunches and a dinner. I try not to mention them to DH because I know he will complain. LOL

Yeah, if we didn't force ourselves then we'd be constantly hanging at home. Me reading my eBooks on my cell and getting fatter cause DH cooks like we're still a crowd in stead of a couple.

As long as both spouses are on board with travel or no travel I feel either is right.

It’s when one spouse wants travel and the other does not that problems happen.

My parents were a good example. My dad lived his life dreaming about traveling in retirement. My mom lived her life dreaming about my dad being home with her and spending time together at home.

I am seeing the same play out with my in laws. My father in law wants to go. Even just long weekend trips driving distances away. My mother in law doesn’t want to do anything that might take her away for the night. Even one night is too much.

In the end my dad opted to travel alone and my father in law has so far opted to do nothing.

Everyone should do retirement their way, no judgment for staying home or traveling. I've definitely got a bucket list of places to travel. DH is a scuba diver and has his own list before he gets too old to do it anymore. He is turning 70 in June and recently applied for social security. I think having more monthly income is an incentive.

We have done Ireland, a Rhine river cruise, and are doing a Norway/Scotland cruise soon. I would like to do an African safari, and see New Zealand. Canadian Rockies and Iceland, are on the list. Possibly Cambodia, Viet Nam. We'll see.

Perfectly fine at home or traveling. Guess I like my skin no matter where I am.
The man was a bit of a homebody so for many years I traveled solo.
Oh and he liked to visit his bro and parents in FL frequently and I only went once every two or three years; the Sunshine State isn’t my cuppa.

My days of comparing my life to others is long over.

My dad was the same way. He traveled a lot for work, especially Alaska and California, and a few other places. When he retired, I don't recall any talk of doing any type of big travel like that again. He and my mom never went anywhere, except to visit their family in Alabama, or every once in a blue moon, see friends in nearby states. But there was a lot to see in our state, so there was some of that kind of in state sightseeing.

I have had the travel bug since I was a kid and will travel until I am unable to, but I love my home time as well. I'm 56, so hopefully have many years ahead of me. We have a lovely yard and a lot to do in our area but I am looking forward to some of our upcoming trips. Do whatever floats your boat.

I think that’s understandable. It’s your life, you live it. Nothing wrong with the beach or the mountains!

Well, some people are travelers and some are more home bodies. The interesting thing is that those in these categories aren't locked into them. It is entirely possible that after a few years of retirement the urge to travel may surface. In the mean time, go with your heart.

My husband spent 20+ years in the military. Now that we are close to a "real" retirement, we have no desire to leave the continental 48 all good right here in the States being boring.
How about traveling the CONUS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter