Retiring Disney Dollars?

Meagansmom

DIS Veteran
Ok Disney Veterans - have you heard this one? On our last visit, buying something at a little stand a CM was talking to us. We handed her a Disney Dollar - she handed it back and asked if we had another. I did give her another. She proceeded to tell us to hang onto it. Micheal Eisner every so often retires certain serial numbers on the dollars. Now I do not remember which one it is, I have kept so many on all of our visits. I have never heard of this before. Does anyone know if it is certain times of the year, once a year, certain numbers, or if this is even true? I just remembered this and had to pass this on.

Disney Dollar designs change periodically, there have been many designs over the last several years. I guess whenever they have a new design, you could consider the old one "retired" and a keepsake. Perhaps some day the older designs will be worth a little extra to collectors, but there have been a LOT of each design printed.

I still have our special 25th anniversary dollar, even the napkins displaying Cinderella's carriage.

Psst: I think they were the only pretty thing made that year, especially when you recall Cindy's castle's hideous bubblegum pink cake :rolleyes:

now wait a minute here--I've been collecting Disney Dollars for a trip that just keeps getting postponed

am I to understand that my DDs are going to be rejected at WDW???

FFerret, older Disney $$ are still good at Parks and Disney Stores...some people just like to collect them (like the State quarters and $2 bills).

I have seen several auctions running on eBay for different Disney Dollars from various years. They must be a collectible item for some. I like to include a $1 Disney Dollar in my scrapbook from the year we went ... just for fun!

We bought Dollars at the local Disney store every Friday until the week we left for vacation. We had quite a collection of all dollar amounts as well as several print years. One CM was intrested in getting I think it was the $10 one (do they have a $20, maybe it was $20, I don't remember). Anyway, she asked if we were planning to keep any and we said no. She said she collected them and the year on the dollar we had was the year she said she was having a hard time finding. We exchanged with her. Made her day.

Disney Dollars are good as long as there is a Disney. Disney hopes you collect the $. The only way to make money on Disney $ is if you don't spend them. Thus the change the design frequently.:Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter