Retro Gaming

Neapolitan Ice Cream

DIS Veteran
I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

Does anyone else have fond memories of retro gaming? By that I don't mean the latest and greatest, Xbox One X and PS5 consoles, more N64, SNES and Genesis devices.

I was of the generation of Dreamcast/GameCube/PS2/XBox and thought genuinely that said generation was one of the greatest. A lot of imagination went into games then, and I loved every minute of it!

I have a large collection of retro gaming hardware, mostly Nintendo stuff. NES/SNES is the all-time great era for me. Those games still hold up very well!

I still have a SNES system but I don't have it hooked up. My favorite cartridge is "Williams' Greatest Hits"...it has Defender, Joust, Robotron and Sinistar. AND...they are just like the arcade versions I used to play....sounds and all!

Heck - there are consoles that still [correction] play Space Invaders. It's actually quite incredible how they managed to do so much with so little back in the 70s and 80s. Today all of those can be emulated almost perfectly with the level of electronics that goes into a microwave oven.

Last edited:

We still have an NES, Game Cube and N64. We never play them because they just look awful on our LED TV. The playable area ends up so small whe we scale it down that it's just not a good experience anymore. We should have kept an old tube TV to play these on. That way it would be truly retro.

We have access to many retro games through the Nintendo eshop. A bunch of games can be downloaded free.

Heck - there are consoles that still place Space Invaders. It's actually quite incredible how they managed to do so much with so little back in the 70s and 80s. Today all of those can be emulated almost perfectly with the level of electronics that goes into a microwave oven.

The hardware limitations actually spurred creativity. I think that's why a lot of the older games really stand the test of time. Not that newer games aren't great too, but most don't seem to have the replayability of the classics.

We still have an NES, Game Cube and N64. We never play them because they just look awful on our LED TV. The playable area ends up so small whe we scale it down that it's just not a good experience anymore. We should have kept an old tube TV to play these on. That way it would be truly retro.

We have access to many retro games through the Nintendo eshop. A bunch of games can be downloaded free.

I keep a lot of my older systems hooked up to a CRT. They do look better that way. There are some upscaling devices out there though that can help.

Last edited:
The hardware limitations actually spurred creativity. I think that's why a lot of the older games really stand the test of time. Not that newer games aren't great too, but most don't seem to have the replayability of the classics.

Many of those older games were coded directly for specific platforms in assembly code. They had to be though since that was the only way to use the limited computing power and storage available.

I remember all the ports to different home computing and video game platforms, and those supposedly took a lot of work. I heard it was hack after hack just to get everything to work - even on an expensive arcade console.

Retro is my middle name. Started out with the Atari 2600/NES and then went onto the SNES/Genesis. Those were damn good times.

I finally got rid of my NES last year. I kept it mostly because I was determined to beat that stupid stupid Jaws game, I never did. Still on my list of life missed accomplishments I regret.

I finally got rid of my NES last year. I kept it mostly because I was determined to beat that stupid stupid Jaws game, I never did. Still on my list of life missed accomplishments I regret.

I still have a couple of white whales on my NES. I've come close to beating some of them, but have never pulled it off. Ninja Gaiden is one. I can get to the final boss, but no luck with that three-formed beast! I have done it with "help" but never legit. Castlevania I finished exactly once. I beat the Grim Reaper (level 5) one time and I knew I had to go the distance because I would never beat him again. I never have.

I had all of the Donkey Kong games for SNES. My sister would come over and we'd play for hours. I adored the graphics of those games.

I still have the Sears version of the Atari 2600 and our cartridges, including ET. Is that what you are talking about?

We traded most of our old stuff years ago, but even after getting rid of the Sega, we kept the cartridge for Toe Jam & Earl, just in case.

We've got the old Nintendo with the games that my husband kept, including the boxes. He actually has a game system that I can't remember the name of, but it's in a small suitcase....his family kept everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter