Returning Visitors Toll Pass

djbogue

Mouseketeer
We are renting a car at Orlando Airport and returning it at Fort Myers. I plan on getting a Visitor Toll Pass. I know you are suppose to return it at the Orlando Airport but can you mail it back or will they charge me the $10 anyway since I didn't return it to Orlando Airport.

They'll charge. It's supposed to be returned at the end of the rental.

We are renting a car at Orlando Airport and returning it at Fort Myers. I plan on getting a Visitor Toll Pass. I know you are suppose to return it at the Orlando Airport but can you mail it back or will they charge me the $10 anyway since I didn't return it to Orlando Airport.
I'm almost positive that you need to return it to a drop box or vending machine at MCO otherwise you'll be charged the $10.

I'd ask the toll authority directly, but the odds are that you'll get charged the $10. (It may be that you could list a further-out date for the rental return to give you time to mail it, but AFAIK there is no option to mail it, and they may not be set up for that.)

I've found that the easiest option is just to buy my own portable transponder. You can get the UNI transponder from Amazon for $15+tax and it works in 19 states, with no monthly fee if you register it with CSX in Florida. (Yes, including most of the Northeast.) I do find that it's wise to tie a colorful bit of dangling gift ribbon around it when using it in a rental, so that I don't forget to take it home with me, especially since I have the black one that is harder to see. https://www.cfxway.com/uni/

I leave my transponder on my fridge door when I'm not traveling, because we don't have tolls where I live. I have to walk right past the fridge to get to the garage, so that way I can easily grab it on my way out. (It has suction cups.)

I've found that the easiest option is just to buy my own portable transponder. You can get the UNI transponder from Amazon for $15+tax and it works in 19 states, with no monthly fee if you register it with CSX in Florida. (Yes, including most of the Northeast.) I do find that it's wise to tie a colorful bit of dangling gift ribbon around it when using it in a rental, so that I don't forget to take it home with me, especially since I have the black one that is harder to see. https://www.cfxway.com/uni/

I leave my transponder on my fridge door when I'm not traveling, because we don't have tolls where I live. I have to walk right past the fridge to get to the garage, so that way I can easily grab it on my way out. (It has suction cups.)

I'm not sure I'd recommend the UNI pass...as somebody who has had it for several years. Their app and online website is clunky at best. The last few times I've rented a car, I go online and remove my current vehicle (I use it at home in Maryland) and add the rental vehicle and rental plate but I can't give a start and end date OR add it as a second "temporary" vehicle. I've come home 3 times and Thrifty has billed me for the rental car despite my Unipass also charging me and I've had to dispute it via Thrifty to get the charges removed. The problem is that, when I come back home, and add my current vehicle back in (and license plate) and then run a toll report, it shows my current plate on the account and the tolls in Florida, instead of the plate that I had been using at the time. It's reached a point where I've given up and am trying to finally return the UNI and I've opted for a standard Maryand EZPass now that it can be used as well.

We will see if I have the same situation with rental cars, but at least that system lets you put in a temporary vehicle with start and end dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter