• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Kona Cafe, desserts

Forever42

The best part of Disney is the food!
Since we love the desserts at the Kona Café, we planned to go there after the fireworks on the Fourth of July. We love the view from the Polynesian beach! We made priority seatings ahead of time for 9:05 PM, which was the last time they had that night. When I called that day to verify the time, along with verifying our time at the Whispering Canyon Café, we ended up having a problem. I was told that the only thing that was listed for us was a 7:40 PM priority seating, and nothing for 9:05 PM. After hearing about the problem with our Whispering Canyon Café priority seating, I was ready to cry. Seeing as there was nothing we could do at the moment, we resigned ourselves to hoping for a little more Disney magic once we got to the Polynesian.

We parked at the Transportation and Ticket Center after dinner, monorailed over to the Contemporary to go shopping (Mickey wine glass and a new Ariel purse!), and monorailed back to the Polynesian. We walked out to the beach and couldn’t decide where to sit, and ended up at the central beach area, hoping we could hear the music. It ended up not mattering what area we sat in, as the music was piped over the water everywhere.

Lucky girl that I am, Mike proposed to me after the fireworks, at Sunset Pointe, where we were also considering having our wedding some day. With stars in my eyes, we hurried back to the main building, as it was getting late. Once we arrived at the Kona Café, Mike explained the situation, but this time we were told they weren’t taking any more walk ups. The 9:05 priority seating that we had made was still nowhere to be found. Dejected, we walked away, and then walked back to ask if we could get dessert to go. We were told they didn’t do dessert to go. Once more, we walked away, and then Mike suggested that we try the mystery 7:40 priority seating time we had been given. It being 9:40 PM, I’m not sure if the hostess was just annoyed by us or not, but she actually sat us “late” for our 7:40 priority seating. Odd. But we were happy to be there, finally.

We weren’t going to spend much time at the restaurant because it was so late, but our server was rushing around, even though she didn’t have many tables. Having been there twice in the past, we knew exactly what we wanted. I ordered the pressed pot of Kona coffee ($6.99), and Mike, his diet Coke ($2.00). For our desserts we chose the new chocolate macadamia nut pie ($5.49) and the kiddie cone ($5.49).

Mike’s diet Coke and a water for me were brought out quickly, and our server let us know that the coffee was brewing in the back. This time when it was brought out, it had even been pressed in the back. As a result, it wasn’t as strong as I’d like it to be, and it was somewhat disappointing. Our desserts came out quickly after that, though, so I didn’t have much time to be disappointed.

We’d had the kiddie cone in the past, and while it’s not a gourmet dessert, it’s delicious and a lot of fun. A large waffle cone is cemented upright to a plate with chocolate, filled with chocolate and vanilla ice cream, drizzled with chocolate sauce and Mickey confetti, with a wafer of chocolate in the shape of Mickey’s head on top. The ice cream is always creamy and rich, and the dessert is fun to share.

We were eagerly awaiting a chance to try the new macadamia nut pie, and it was wonderful! It was reminiscent of a pecan pie, but with macadamia nuts instead of pecans, and the filling had a slight chocolate taste to it. It was topped with a large scoop of coconut ice cream with bits of coconut in it (not as good as the ice cream at the Maya Grill, interestingly enough), and drizzled with a caramel sauce that tasted homemade. If only that was the caramel sauce that they served over at ‘Ohana! We were just about ready to fight over it, it’s so good! Mike wished that the coconut ice cream was the one in the kiddie cone – I wonder if they can do that?

We were tired, and thankfully our server brought the bill over quickly. We never felt rushed ourselves, even though she was rushing around the restaurant. She did suggest that if I got tired of the coffee, she could bring me a to-go cup. That was exactly what I wanted, so I asked if she could bring it then. She actually brought me two because I had about 1/3 of the pot left, but one cup was plenty.

This is one of our favorite restaurants at Disney – definitely one of their best secrets! We’ve never had a bad meal here, and we’re even returning for dinner in a week. We haven’t been for lunch yet, but it’s a great place for both breakfast and dinner, and it’s close to the Magic Kingdom. We recommend it highly for a more casual sit down breakfast, lunch, or dinner away from the parks.

Photo gallery

First of all, congratulations on your engagement! :bride: :groom:

Chuck (DH) and I had the new macadamia nut pie on our June visit, and we also thought it was wonderful! ::yes:: Kona Cafe is one of our very favorite WDW restaurants! :D

Many congratulations on your engagement!! How wonderful to be proposed to at that spot!

:jumping1:

cant wait, dh loves pressed coffee!!

PS your link didnt work for me :(

I love looking at the pics and reading the reviews!

Thanx for another great review ~ My mouth is watering just thinking about your desserts.

Congratulations to you both.

Ok that is another place to add to the list. That pie sounds delicious.

Thanks for sharing.

Originally posted by eeyore45
cant wait, dh loves pressed coffee!!

PS your link didnt work for me :(

I love looking at the pics and reading the reviews!

Ack! I type ".php" when I'm doing everything else, and I forget that these don't have an extension. I'll fix that right now.

Congratulations on your engagment!!!

I always love reading your reviews and this one didn't disappoint! I can only imagine the fun you will have planning your wedding menu!!!

Congratulations on your engagement! :p

Thanks again for another wonderful review! The macadamia nut pie looks awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter