• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Review of Polar Patio at BB -- Updated w/Pics!

I gotta say -

that while I love the concept and believe Disney can make a good deal of money on it - this isn't the way to do it. Disney is WAY behind the market on this one, charging top dollar while giving just about the least I've seen.

And while yes, it is a nice treat - ultimately people judge the whole experience in the context of the rest of the world. And when they go someplace else and get SO much more for usually SO much less - well, that's generally not the Disney success model.

For instance, at Dutch Wonderland in PA, we rented a cabana for about $75 for the day. It was a bit smaller area, but had a mini fridge and a good sized "hut" with a ceiling fan:
http://www.dutchwonderland.com/rides/cabana_rentals.php
The fridge was essentially a minibar, you were charged for what you took. But it was ICE cold and the fan was nice too.

Hershey is a little closer to Disney,
http://www.hersheypa.com/plan_a_trip/hershey_resorts_advantage/hersheypark_cabana_rentals.php
http://www.hersheypa.com/plan_a_trip/images/sideCabanas.jpg
with Disney-esque prices but a fridge and decent privacy.

Kalahari resorts blows em all away,
http://www.kalahariresorts.com/oh/waterparks/cabanas/
with a TV and a safe; a really nice area and of course a fridge.

I expect to come away from Disney saying "Wow, that was expensive" but also I suppose that I expect some "Wow" factor in exchange. I understand Disney has a captive audience with these things, but running some electricity and making the little areas special couldn't be THAT hard or expensive.

Disney would do well to provide:
- a fridge,
- some sort of cooling relief other than an umbrella
- the promise of a character visit (assuming characters come in the waterparks?)
- Some sort of very private / very shaded area (for napping youngins)

If they just did that much it would be a "plus" experience vs the rest of the world.

Just something to think about Disney.

don't mean to bump an old thread, but I was just researching these for our July trip and all I can say is WOW. I agree with this poster, does not seem you are getting much for the price. So far, I am seeing that these are renting for $320, is that correct?

We were anxious to rent these at BB because we did one a Sesame Place last summer and absolutely loved the concept. But comparing the 2, its not even close to being a good splurge (IMO, and I love to splurge when on vacation).

We have 2 young kids (2 and 7), so having a place to make a home base is a huge value, plus my wife tends to bring A LOT of stuff with us, so having a safe place for that junk is fantastic .

But, the cabana at SP wins hands down b/c:
1. it was only $180 for the day, vs the $300 (almost double) at Diz.
2. We got food service to our tent, but not all day, so while Diz wins that one, it is more opportunity to spend more $$
3. Both had water stocked
4. We had a safe inside the tent, along with a gatekeeper at the entrance
5. Ceiling fan
6. 6-beach towels that you could bring home with you included. Dis does the mug, I'd rather the towel IMO.
7. 3 characters came to the area for private photos
8. Tent guests were taken backstage 30-min before the parade for meet/photos with all characters. Granted no parade at the water park, but a huge perk knowing we would see everyone.
9. And IMO the BIGGEST thing i liked....you could close the tent and change out of your wet suit, or change the baby's diaper. Nothing is worse then sitting in a wet suit on the way home, and the private ones gave you the opportunity to freshen up before leaving.

I agree, the 2 parks cannot be compared apples to apples for all items, but the price/value does not seem in line with the Disney ones. I guess lowering the price point would make them fill up faster and less of a luxury perk, but I'm still a bit in sticker shock over what you are actually getting.

OK, here it is May 2017 and I'm searching for info on the Polar Patios and found this thread. Thanks for the help with your posts everyone. We will be there in June 2017. There will be me(56), hubby (57), sister (54) and her 2 grandchildren girl(10) and boy(3). This will be the first trip to a Disney water park for all of us.

One of the main reasons we chose Blizzard Beach over the other water park was that the Polar Patios had wood floor instead a sand floor (for my health issues.) The patios all seem well shaded with trees in addition to the umbrella. For the most part we need a quiet area for the hubby to rest as most of the rides are not his thing and for the 3 year to rest and nap.

According to the Disney website there is:
unlimited towels
unlimited COLD bottled water,
drink re-fill cups for soda and such
a large locker right in your cabana

We are looking forward to the trip next month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter