Reviews/Opinions Wanted: Washers & Driers (front and top loders)

Tinkerbelle99

Mouseketeer
I know that this topic has been discussed in the past, but I didnt pertain to me at the time, so i didnt commit any of it to memory....

We are now in need for both a new washer and dryer; actually we have needed ones for a while, but made due with repairs and whatnot until we were in a better position.

for the longest time I only wanted to consider a front loader, but now i am not so sure. I am considering both styles, really wanting one that cleans acceptionally well and is efficient. My one thing is that I want it to be red...crazy sticking point i know...but i want reviews on all models, regardless of color...

Thanks in advance....I know the dis members will give me great advice!

I have had a front loading dryer for 6 months now and so far I love it. I have an LG DLE1310, (I think). It was a compromise. I wanted a front loader and DH wanted anything cheap. I don't remember if they had colors other than white. DH wouldn't pay for a color. :confused3 It replaced the dryer I purchased when we bought our first house in 1983. Unfortunately, I know this one won't last that long.

I have an HE and almost wish I had gotten a top loader. I do see a savings in my water bill but my clothes just don't seem to come out as clean. I notice this alot with my grandson's clothes. He spills ketchup and barbeque sauce on all his shirts and with my old washer it would come clean, the new washer the stains set in. I even spray them with spray and wash and still have stains that won't wash out.
With my old washer I could fill the washer with hot water, add a cup of bleach, a cup of detergent and a cup of dishwasher detergent and soak whites like socks and white blouses overnight and then wash them the next day. My whites shone. Now I can't since I can't fill my washer and leave clothes to soak. I used to do this with my boys white baseball pants and their socks and even their uniform shirts for Catholic school and their clothes looked so good compared to the other kids. People used to think my boys sat the bench because their pants never had stains.
the HE washer does do large loads, I could never wash my king comforter at home and always had to take it to the laundromat, but I can wash it now. I also do in one load what I could wash in 2 on the other machine, but I do wonder if they are really getting clean or if they are just being rinsed since I see so many stains that would clean out in the old washer.
It also takes so long to do a load. I did some towels today and it took 155 minutes for a regular load. I used to be able to do a load before going to work and hang the clothes on the line, now I have to do the clothes the night before in order to get them on the line before going out in the morning.
The dryer is much faster than my old one though, both were electric but the dryer that matches the washer is very fast, a load of towels is totally dry in about 30 min.
I got my HE because of recommendations from these boards.

I bought the front loading washer/dryer set from LG about 2 1/2 years ago. I couldn't believe we spent that much ($3500) on a washer/dryer, but I LOVE them. I looked at front loaders and top loaders and decided on the front simply because the LG could accommodate king sized comforters and I have a king size bed so this would eliminate the need to go to the dry cleaners or laundromat. My only negative about the LG is that the washer does get a mildewy smell and I have to run a bleach cycle to clean it out every so often.

I have the Maytag Bravos. LOVE THEM! They are toploaders, that are HE. I had front loaders before, and didn't like them at all. But these....I can fit about a whole basket and a half of laundry in them. Washes great, dries fast. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

I bought a front load LG a couple of years ago. It was about $800. I wish I could have my topload back. I hate the smell. I dry the door, I dry the seal. It still smells mildewy sometimes. I leave the door open so it will airdry too, but then the door bangs into the laundry room door. I don't like that I can't add things to a load. Of course, I knew about this ahead of time, but I didn't realize how much it would bother me. I am tall (5'11"), and I basically crouch on the floor to move clothes to the dryer.
As for cost savings, I don't know about the water, because we were on a well when we bought it. No idea how much it saved. We do save a great deal on laundry detergent, though. A friend who worked for years for a company that made Frontload washers told us only to use a fraction of what is marked on the detergent bottle, so we save a great deal there.

I have the Maytag Bravos. LOVE THEM! They are toploaders, that are HE. I had front loaders before, and didn't like them at all. But these....I can fit about a whole basket and a half of laundry in them. Washes great, dries fast. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

I have to agree re: Bravos. I have the washer only, but I LOVE it as well! Large loads, decreased dryer time.

I have to agree re: Bravos. I have the washer only, but I LOVE it as well! Large loads, decreased dryer time.

Another one who will agree with this!! We had LG front loaders at our old house. They were only 4 years old, but I didn't move them with -- I left them because they got smelly. I used smelly washer & Tide washer cleaner on them monthly. I always left the door open and cleaned the seal. This house I got the top loading HE Bravos. Love them -- a lot more clothes fit in and the wash cycle is much faster (over an hour on the LG's).

I have a set of GE's that I've had for about 2 years.

Positives:
Water bill went down about $10 a month.
Clothes get cleaner and less wear (no agitator).
Washer is quiet.
I can wash my down comforter which previously had to go to the laundromat (I have the biggest washer GE sold).
I only do half as many loads since I can put so much in at a time.

Negatives:
Washer gets stinky and moldy unless you leave the door open for a day to dry.
Difficult to get a level install, so have the delivery person do it.

The washer takes a LOT longer than a traditional washer, but in turn the dryer takes only about half the time. The is because the washer spins so much water out, so the dryer doesn't have to run as long.

Unless you're super short, plan on buying the drawers that go underneath.

My parents have the top loading GE high efficiency washer and love it. They've had it for about 2 years now and say it's worth every penny. Their water bill has gone down since it is high efficiency but they don't have to worry about the seal breaking nor the mold issues like a front loader. When ours breaks, we will be buying the same model they have.

I love my Samsung front load 4.5 cf machine. It is quiet, gets clothes clean, the clothes spin very dry which has cut my drier time down to 25 minutes a load including jeans. I am still using my old dryer and the drying time has been cut in half. Where before jeans use to take 60 minutes to dry. Which means I am using less natural gas which is a savings for me. Plus my water bill has gone down by 2 cubic feet a month.

When we were looking for a new machine a lot of opinions on several different web sites had good things to say about the Samsung. On the other hand I heard a lot of negative things about LG. Even LG web site said a LG washer should be installed on a floor which has been reinforced because it vibrates to the point that the machine will move 4-6 inches.
The bad thing about my Samsung is that I have a hard time hearing it, ( it is located in our basement) yet when I am one floor above it I can't tell if it is done. As with my old washer I could hear it when I was on the first floor.

Oh I am able to use half as much soap as I once did therefore it takes me 3 months to go through 200 oz bottle of soap.

So here are the pluses. Uses less water, spins clothes dryer which cuts down on the dryer time, uses less soap, washes the equivalent of 2 loads compared to my old top load washer that was 15 years old.

I got my machine from Sears Outlet.

I have LG front loader HE washer. I HATE it.

Mildewy smell. I dry the washer after each load, run bleach once a month, during cooler months, and once a week in the summer.

It doesn't get our clothes clean.

If you have someone who plays sports or does yard work or works outside, the clothes will not be clean.

I so miss my 1991 Kenmore top loader.

Thanks for your feedback....

For toploading, I am leaning towards the maytag bravos and i see three recommendations for it on this thread. when reviewing other online sites, it mentions that its rougher on clothes (lots of twisted up and knotted)...did either of you bravos owners experience this?

Originally I was all about front loaders and while I am tall, I didnt want the pedestals because I wanted the 'counter' type space ontop for folding. But The more I think about it, I probably would need the peds.

Also, the whole smell thing is also turning me off the front loaders.

Please keep the comments coming!!

We just bought new set about 4 months ago. I researched so much, but with all the discussion about the front loaders growing mold/mildew around the seal, we went with a HE Top Loader. We got the Whirlpool Cabrio. Maytag has a comparable one too, I can't remember the name. I love it, it does a great job.

But I don't think it comes in red. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter