Rhino obsessed

dumbox2

Earning My Ears
hi! I have a ds who is currently obsessed with rhinos and desperately hoping we see them at ak. Are the rhinos usually visible during the safari or are we going to end up needing to ride it 100 times until he sees one. Anywhere else them may be visible? Also, are there any rhino stuffed animals sold at ak and which store will we have the best luck finding one? Thanks!

We have almost always seen them - usually quite a few. We go early morning rope drop, not sure if that makes a difference. This is the closest we have ever seen the rhinos on safari, it was spectacular, they walked right alongside the jeep:
0136f7d771de9f9370c6449095ed9c5254f1967dff.jpg

You will not have any trouble finding a stuffed rhino. Upon exit from the Safari you'll go by a cart that has plushes of many of the safari animals, and otherwise go to the main AK shops (Discovery trading/island mercantile) and I am sure they'll have some.

We've seen them on every ride, regardless of the time of day. The photo above shows one on the right, but my memory says most of the good viewing is on the left.

We are also rhino obsessed! We didn't see them last time on the Safari ride, but we had all previous times. We went late morning last time. The best viewing we had was a late afternoon ride - one of the last of the day. We were in the later part of the ride and hadn't seen any, and then suddenly we came upon 2 really close, and they were jumping around kind of playing.

Also on the train to Rafiki's planet watch, you go past the rhino barns. We could see some inside the barns (it's not great viewing but still we could see them), and that kind of made up for not seeing them on the safari ride.

We got a stuffed rhino from one of the shops on discovery island back in 2012. I looked last trip (a year ago) and didn't see any stuffed rhinos in that same store. You could always get one off Amazon, and leave it staged in the room. Then if you can't find one in AK, you come back and find that Mickey must have brought one to the room. Or if you do find one in AK, then it's got a rhino friend when you get back to the room.

Also keep your eyes open for the rhino in It's a Small World.

For other trips, we have founds some zoos have "feed a rhino" (for a fee). We fed some leaves to a rhino at Zoo Miami several years ago and that was really neat.

For other trips, we have founds some zoos have "feed a rhino" (for a fee). We fed some leaves to a rhino at Zoo Miami several years ago and that was really neat.

OMG!! After WDW we are headed down to the Ft. Lauderdale area. Zoo Miami is less than an hour away. I think we may end up there one day. Thanks!

Thanks everyone or your responses!

Just be sure and check the zoo website about which days the rhino feeding occurs. They may not do it every day. It's a nice zoo ... Bring kids swimsuits, they have a nice splash zone to cool off in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter