Richard Gerth - GF greeter on hospice care

Moramoon

DIS Veteran
I haven't seen anything official yet so I'm hoping it's not true, but I've seen a couple of posts on Facebook that Richard is currently battling pneumonia and has been placed on hospice care. He's been the greeter in front of Grand Floridian since 1991.

We've never stayed at GF, but we always visit when we're at the world and have always enjoyed talking with him. I'm sending thoughts and prayers his way.

I hope, it if is true, that he is resting peacefully and has his loved ones with him.

He was so incredibly sweet when we saw him last. He is such a wonderful part of the Grand.

I hope this isn't true either. I got to meet him in 2014 and found him to be such a wonderful man. Perfect greeter at the GF.

OK - we also know this stunning person....
Sadly, from our CM friends at the GF? This information is absolutely true :(. Richard is indeed in hospice :(.

We wish him well, hoping to see him when we come home in August.

The Boyd family

Richard was my co-worker at the Grand many years ago. I even filled in for him one night.

At that time, he was also the chauffeur of the antique white 1929 Cadillac that's outside the Grand's entrance. There was a Bride and Groom that needed to be brought to the Boardwalk for their reception and they couldn't find Richard. Thirty minutes before they were scheduled to leave, I was selected to be their chauffeur. Rush to costuming to put on a greeter's costume, and a quick lesson driving the Caddy around the Grand, I had never driven it before. Never did find out where he was.

Being in Hospice is a very, very serious situation and hopefully he'll recover, but I doubt he'll return to work. So here's to you fellow CM and a great guy. I enjoyed every minute of the time we worked together, and you owe me one, which I expect you to make good on.

Couple of my facebook groups are reporting Richard passed away this morning at 12:28 am surrounded by loved ones. :( I'm so sad to hear this. He was such a wonderful man. I can't think of GF without him being there.

I'd like to think that Richard will be standing side-by-side with Stan; the infamous greeter from the Wilderness Lodge... Welcoming people as they approach the pearly white gates. The Wilderness Lodge hasn't been quite the same without Stan, and I suspect the same will be true of GF without Richard. While I didn't have the pleasure of interacting with Richard, I did get to know Stan after annual, repeat visits to WL from 1994 - 2002 growing up as a kid. Stan remembered the names of my parents and my brother and I, where we were from, and always went to great lengths to make us feel welcome each and every trip (he didn't have to do a thing - just seeing his smiling face as we walked into the lobby was all that we needed). In any event, people of this character are one in a million and will never be replaced. I hope that the people that knew Richard can remember all of the smiles and great moments that were a result of knowing him, and hopefully, those memories will ease the pain of his passing over time. However, each time I walk into the lobby of WL, it's hard not to get choked up thinking of Stan - even as the years go by, so this is easier said than done.

Saw an artist named Justin Zucker created this - thought it was fitting

34688635_10155485354705233_2523041743050375168_n.jpg

I haven't seen anything official yet so I'm hoping it's not true, but I've seen a couple of posts on Facebook that Richard is currently battling pneumonia and has been placed on hospice care. He's been the greeter in front of Grand Floridian since 1991.

We've never stayed at GF, but we always visit when we're at the world and have always enjoyed talking with him. I'm sending thoughts and prayers his way.

Richard's family has posted on Facebook that he passed away. He will certainly be missed.

I wonder if Disney will put something up at the GF somewhere to remember him by. He was such a long time part of the Grand Floridian.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter