ride closure question - FP compensation?

Great! I've never seen the list in MDE and have always relied on the e-mail. So I guess rule of thumb is actually check your e-mail OR MDE to see what your options are before traipsing all over the park or thinking you need to be compensated somehow.
Yes, that would be a good rule of thumb to go by. And remember, they aren't visible at a glance, you'll have to tap on the FP and it will open a screen with more details, including all the rides it works on.
There are lists online that tell you what ride FP is replaced with which options. They changed about a year, maybe 18 months ago. And they are sort of logical, to some degree
Basically, if your ride was a hard to get, highly desired FP, your options are way more generous than the other ride replacements are.
If you had a FP for Tea Cups, you aren't going to get a pass that works on 7DMT. Works for most of the rest now, but not the highest priority rides. But, if you had a FP for 7DMT (and it's not possible for you to use it later for whatever reason) you'll find your replacement is good for most anything in the park.
And over at the parks with Tiers, if your Tier 2 ride goes down you aren't going to get a FP that works on a Tier 1 ride. Now that I think on it, I'm not sure how they have it if a Tier 1 goes down, we've been fortunate enough to not have had it happen to us.

If it's an outside ride they can just as often be down for rain, probably more often, than for mechanical reasons.
its been every ride though the last few weeks-POC, SM, even HM.

I just think its good practice to compensate a customer/guest when they wait in line and are almost to the front and the ride goes down.

its been every ride though the last few weeks-POC, SM, even HM.

I just think its good practice to compensate a customer/guest when they wait in line and are almost to the front and the ride goes down.
And they do, with a paper FP

Yes, that would be a good rule of thumb to go by. And remember, they aren't visible at a glance, you'll have to tap on the FP and it will open a screen with more details, including all the rides it works on.
There are lists online that tell you what ride FP is replaced with which options. They changed about a year, maybe 18 months ago. And they are sort of logical, to some degree
Basically, if your ride was a hard to get, highly desired FP, your options are way more generous than the other ride replacements are.
If you had a FP for Tea Cups, you aren't going to get a pass that works on 7DMT. Works for most of the rest now, but not the highest priority rides. But, if you had a FP for 7DMT (and it's not possible for you to use it later for whatever reason) you'll find your replacement is good for most anything in the park.
And over at the parks with Tiers, if your Tier 2 ride goes down you aren't going to get a FP that works on a Tier 1 ride. Now that I think on it, I'm not sure how they have it if a Tier 1 goes down, we've been fortunate enough to not have had it happen to us.

I know in EP, if TT goes down you are offered a FP+ for Soarin' (this happened to us in August and DS was thrilled because he decided at the last minute he wanted to ride Soarin' more anyway, LOL!) If memory serves, FEA was not on the replacement list.

So this a moot point for me since our trip was last week, but after reading comments here maybe this can serve as a public service to others...
I was under the impression from posts here that if a ride is closed during a FP window, an "anytime" FP would be allowed so that the user(s) could ride any ride any time within the next day.

We had FP time for POTC at 5:05. It was closed until 5:45 according to MDE (which I kept checking because we were going to try to use it). On MDE it showed that we had to use the FP by park close that night or it would expire so I negotiated with my young kids and they wanted to ride a coaster.

Long story short, we tried to use the FP at two rides but were told one wasn't an option (7DMT) and the other didn't accept FP after 7pm (BTMRR) due to Halloween party. By then it was 7:15 and we'd already done an almost full loop of the park to get to the two coasters and figured we were just out of luck. But I'm wondering whether we should have fought this with customer service. Thoughts?

Usually the 'bonus' FP to replace to one for the closed ride is for the SAME day if they give it to you in MDE, and occasionally you get a paper one (when you are in line and already scanned your FP when the ride gets closed) -- those paper ones are usually good until the end of the current month. They always have restrictions about what rides you may or may not ride with them.

If you were there on a party night, you would not be able to use any FP after 7PM, because they don't do FP at all during parties.

We had FPs for Kali and were about to board when they closed for inclement weather. The CM gave us FPs for any ride in DAK, excluding Panora, until the end of the month.
Yes...its nice when you have a paper FP good for a few days or a week or two when you are visiting WDW for a long trip...........like 5-9 days

I was at HS on Sunday and had already ridden ToT, but was about to ride again with a FP+, and we got the email that it was down. I triple checked the email, ToT is a tier 2 attraction, but the email CLEARLY stated that we could use it on RnRC....I forgot to look for Toy Story (doh!) but as we had ridden all of the rides we wanted to ride anyway, we lame-ly went to ride Star Tours again later in the afternoon because we wouldn't be able to make our Star Tours ACTUAL FP+, since we were in line for Chewie...so we switched it to a Frozen FP+ and used the anytime for Star Tours....that's the first time I have ridden Star Tours 2x in a day hahaha

Also to add, for anyone thinking "well I don't have a smart phone so I can't check the app or my email". If you go to use a FP and that ride happens to be down, the CM's at that ride can inform you of what rides you can use your automatic anytime FP on. Or sometimes they'll even have a sign out front with the list of rides so you don't have to ask.

But of course the easiest is to check your email and the app

I don't know. To me, if their ride breaks, the least they can do is make it up to you in some fashion and honestly if that means letting them in the fast pass line for Seven Dwarfs mine train so be it or whatever. They should not have rides breaking down all the time. I have seen way too many rides being "Temporarily Closed" as I sporadically check the app the last couple weeks.

On our last trip (Week after Thanksgiving 2016), around 1/3 of the rides we wanted to go on had problems. To be honest, I had never seen so many rides having problems. I was really wondering if Disney is now practicing "deferred maintenance" to save money? If so, its not a good sign.

Winnie the Pooh was down during the entire time of our FP. When we went back during the next time we were near by, when the blue light lit up, the CM said "Ok, tell me a story why you couldn't use your Fastpass." To be honest, I was taken back by his attitude. In the past, when this is happened, the CMs have sent us through. I looked him in the eye and said "your ride was down when we tried to use our FP." He didn't say another word, and sent us through.

not sure why it took you over 2 hours to get to BTMRR. You could have waited for Pirates but if you were concerned it was closed for night, look at the email as to what you could ride and pick one.

When POTC was closed we stood in line 40 minutes for Jungle Cruise. Then went back to POTC hoping to use FP but still closed. Checked MDE, saw we could use it until park closed and as I wrote we misinterpreted what that meant. So we didn't rush to 7DMT, we took our time, ran into some friends from out of town, walked past HM and seeing the standby line long continued to Fantasyland. Then it was about 6:45 when we were told the first time we couldn't use the pass. If I'd seen the email we would have done things differently. Didn't get it until the next morning (my phone was on battery save so email wasn't automatically refreshing).

My goal is to inform others, especially those attending the holiday parties. Prior to the trip I'd read from so many people that the FP could be used for future days (and obviously that has happened to others) or until park closes - which wasn't clear that park close does not include special parties. We would have used FP for JC or HM if I'd had any idea it would be such a hassle. Live, learn and pass it on.

So this a moot point for me since our trip was last week, but after reading comments here maybe this can serve as a public service to others...
I was under the impression from posts here that if a ride is closed during a FP window, an "anytime" FP would be allowed so that the user(s) could ride any ride any time within the next day.

We had FP time for POTC at 5:05. It was closed until 5:45 according to MDE (which I kept checking because we were going to try to use it). On MDE it showed that we had to use the FP by park close that night or it would expire so I negotiated with my young kids and they wanted to ride a coaster.

Long story short, we tried to use the FP at two rides but were told one wasn't an option (7DMT) and the other didn't accept FP after 7pm (BTMRR) due to Halloween party. By then it was 7:15 and we'd already done an almost full loop of the park to get to the two coasters and figured we were just out of luck. But I'm wondering whether we should have fought this with customer service. Thoughts?

If you read the email that is sent out, it lists the attractions that are included. It includes pretty much everything in the park other than Dwarfs Mine Coaster and Peter Pan's Flight. The information is available in your MDE as well.

Pirates has been having a lot of issues over the last couple of weeks and unfortunately, these "replacement" FPs have been given to many. They have to limit the busier attractions due to those who wait a while with their pre-booked FPs.

It is correct that they cannot let you into an attraction after 7 PM unless you have a wristband. All guests without a party ticket should be exiting the park at 7 PM or as soon as their last ride or dinner has ended.

On our last trip (Week after Thanksgiving 2016), around 1/3 of the rides we wanted to go on had problems. To be honest, I had never seen so many rides having problems. I was really wondering if Disney is now practicing "deferred maintenance" to save money? If so, its not a good sign.

Winnie the Pooh was down during the entire time of our FP. When we went back during the next time we were near by, when the blue light lit up, the CM said "Ok, tell me a story why you couldn't use your Fastpass." To be honest, I was taken back by his attitude. In the past, when this is happened, the CMs have sent us through. I looked him in the eye and said "your ride was down when we tried to use our FP." He didn't say another word, and sent us through.

I am all for not complaining about CMs for everything they do, but when a situation like this occurs, you should take note of a name, date and time and make Disney aware. This is not acceptable behavior for CMs and being ugly is indeed frowned upon by management.

My goal is to inform others, especially those attending the holiday parties. Prior to the trip I'd read from so many people that the FP could be used for future days (and obviously that has happened to others) or until park closes - which wasn't clear that park close does not include special parties. We would have used FP for JC or HM if I'd had any idea it would be such a hassle. Live, learn and pass it on.

If you can think of a way for me to make the FP FAQ more clear on these points—as well as how “anytime” FPs work—I would be interested in hearing your input. All of them are addressed there.

Last edited:
When POTC was closed we stood in line 40 minutes for Jungle Cruise. Then went back to POTC hoping to use FP but still closed. Checked MDE, saw we could use it until park closed and as I wrote we misinterpreted what that meant. So we didn't rush to 7DMT, we took our time, ran into some friends from out of town, walked past HM and seeing the standby line long continued to Fantasyland. Then it was about 6:45 when we were told the first time we couldn't use the pass. If I'd seen the email we would have done things differently. Didn't get it until the next morning (my phone was on battery save so email wasn't automatically refreshing).

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that someone got an automatic replacement Fastpass in their MDE that was good for the next day. People may have gotten special paper fastpasses or something, but the standard replacement fastpasses that automatically get credited to MDE are always for that day only.

Parties are, and always have been, a special after hours event that takes place after hours. That’s why you only need a party ticket to get into the party (and not regular park admission).

I know in EP, if TT goes down you are offered a FP+ for Soarin' (this happened to us in August and DS was thrilled because he decided at the last minute he wanted to ride Soarin' more anyway, LOL!) If memory serves, FEA was not on the replacement list.

Take this with a grain of salt because this info is old. But when I was there in Januar of 2014, I had a FP for TT and it went down. The replacement FP did not include Soarin (and this was, of course, before FEA). I’m pretty sure they had tiering even then, but all of my other options were tier 2. Fortunately, TT came back up and we were able to ride.

I’m weird and I saved that email...I just looked at it and it’s very clear that the FP must be redeemed during normal park hours and was not valid during EMH.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard that someone got an automatic replacement Fastpass in their MDE that was good for the next day. People may have gotten special paper fastpasses or something, but the standard replacement fastpasses that automatically get credited to MDE are always for that day only.

Parties are, and always have been, a special after hours event that takes place after hours. That’s why you only need a party ticket to get into the party (and not regular park admission).

If you have a ride late in the day and it goes down, then your anytime FP will be good for the remainder of they night and all day the next day.

Few months back I had like an 8pm Test Track FP and TT went down. The email said I could use it at Epcot that night or any park the following day. It just excluded: RoL, Fantasmic, Illuminations and Frozen.

If someone has a ride go down earlier in the day and not close to closing time, then it's the usual just for the remainder of that day

Actually for an example, here's my info for my anytime FP that carried into the next day

563DB3A6-B315-49AF-9BB5-7CEA3DBA00A3.jpeg

I don't know. To me, if their ride breaks, the least they can do is make it up to you in some fashion and honestly if that means letting them in the fast pass line for Seven Dwarfs mine train so be it or whatever. They should not have rides breaking down all the time. I have seen way too many rides being "Temporarily Closed" as I sporadically check the app the last couple weeks.

If they didn't restrict 7DMT or PP imagining the disaster that would be. Might as well shut down the standby lines because most are going to jump over the those two rides. People would start scheduling outdoor rides in the middle of the day hoping for rain.

If you have a ride late in the day and it goes down, then your anytime FP will be good for the remainder of they night and all day the next day.

Few months back I had like an 8pm Test Track FP and TT went down. The email said I could use it at Epcot that night or any park the following day. It just excluded: RoL, Fantasmic, Illuminations and Frozen.

If someone has a ride go down earlier in the day and not close to closing time, then it's the usual just for the remainder of that day

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I wonder how late in the day your fastpass has to be in order for this to be the case?

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I wonder how late in the day your fastpass has to be in order for this to be the case?
In our case, we got one when it was a FP for the final hour of operation at the park
That's how I thought it worked, only for FP issued, and a ride outage, in the final hour of operation. Maybe they've expanded it a bit since then.
I assume the reason they do it for any of the 4 parks is they don't know which park you are heading to the next day and it would be logistically impossible to check for the plans of each person so they issue a blanket FP for all 4 parks for the next, minus high demand attractions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter