Rider Swap/Rider Switch/Child Swap: Digital System begins in late June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not understanding the bolded part above. Why would your 4-year-old need FP+ for the the rides that she won't use? When we hear rumors about everyone needing a FP+, I think that just means everyone that's going to ride the ride. I believe you will still be able to use your 4-year-old's FP+ for something she wants to ride. The only problem is that if all the adults are using their fast passes on big rides, her FP+ will "go to waste" because there won't be an adult to take her. But, that's ultimately your decision. I don't think it makes sense that they would require the too-short child to get a FP+ for something they won't even ride.
They won’t require it to get the RS, but if it is one of their first 3 if the day they need to “burn” it so they can get to their 4th and so on. If that makes sense! Otherwise that child won’t be eligible for the 4th FP if they try to get a Tier 1 or get it in a different park.

They won’t require it to get the RS, but if it is one of their first 3 if the day they need to “burn” it so they can get to their 4th and so on. If that makes sense! Otherwise that child won’t be eligible for the 4th FP if they try to get a Tier 1 or get it in a different park.

OK, gotcha...that makes sense!

Guinea pig here. Arriving on the 17th. My sister has two toddlers and we worked our days with FP selections according to being able to let the 2nd group go at a later time for the longer wait/longer experience attractions. It would have been more reasonable for Disney to alert people to this change prior to their 60 day FP booking window. If it doesn’t get delayed, I hope at least they will be knowledgeable about what the options are for the return time frame and I sure hope will be consistent across attractions and parks at the same time. Nothing worse than it being one way for one ride and another way for another ride, never knowing what to expect/plan for as we approach a CM to get the RS pass. I will report back with our experiences during the week.

Ok, just for planning purposes since our 60 day FP day is in about a week. I’m safe if I book FOP for all six of us even though only five of us are tall enough right? Then we just get to the FP window on that day at the beginning of the hour. DH takes two of our kids on it, while third kid and I wait with too short kid, then he returns, and I go on with third kid? And if we want to rope drop it or try to go on at the end of the night via stand by then all six of us can go up to the CM, show too short kid and get RS? Oh wait,, have to do this at RD since waiting too late wouldn’t allow enough time park time for the one hour window to work.
I considered myself a veteran logging in seven trips with kids before this and I’m confused. Thank goodness we can all do SDD! Whew! Lots to think about before FP booking day! I was thinking of booking our first three FPs for each day early and in a row so we had a chance at a fourth one, but now if I book one for EE, PW, SpaceM, and would like to use RS it would be safe to leave an hour after that window open for a RS.

My thoughts to your question -
- Rider Switch began BEFORE there was FastPass so folks didn't have to wait twice in Standby line when they stopped switching at exit
- With FP ... RS really isn't needed
- With SB waits, it is still important
- Where it helps FP+ is (1) as you say makes sure your FP+ window doesn't expire (2) with odd number families allows the one waiting behind to bring someone with them
- Will close the loophole that allows folks to double their FP+
- Will close the new loop of getting TWO Tier 1 rides (Navi and FoP)(soon to be TSL rides)(down the road SWL)(down the road possibly MK issue with Tron)

"Needed" is vague (no one needs a FP+ at all), but there is a scenario where RS is "needed" with FP+. So that no one has to ride alone. My family is 4 of us, with two kids (6 and 4 year olds). There are times where the adults and 6 year old have a FP+ for something that my youngest is too short for. Without RS, someone would have to ride alone. With it, we all use our FP+, but my 6 year old gets to ride twice (once with Mom, once with me). I think that is still "needed". Otherwise, it would likely mean one of the adults would not ride -- because we would be unlikely to ride alone if my oldest daughter could not do ride #2.

With the new system, I am assuming we can still do this. But I guess we will find out soon when we start getting the reports from the field.

Well reading my entire post and each item you would see that I said that same exact thing ....

But to the first item, FP really isn't needed, it isn't. You could say that everyone who wants to ride via FP+ must have a FP+ and that means there may be someone riding alone if your party has a small odd number of 3, as in your experience. Guess what? That is exactly what happens to us most the time. Disney has refused us the R/S option for our disabled adult, so the adult who waits with him has to ride alone and we have to use FP+ for all to ride and avoid SB. It is what it is and so if we all want to go on a ride, we all get FP+ and one of us rides alone. I have chosen at times to get a FP+ for myself and take my DS on another ride .... I'm willing to do that for him. And then once our FP+ are all gone and we are rolling the 4th I sometimes pick up the ride I missed.

SO as I said in my post it is a nice gesture on Disney's part to let those odd numbers take back a guest with them but there is no reason at all everyone but maybe a guest who rides twice shouldn't have a FP+ for that ride. To actually allow this gives these guests above and beyond the other guests. To allow this lets some guests get double the Tier 1 FP+ ... and at this point I thin that may be a problem for Disney prior to TSL & SWL opening given what is happening in Pandora. And no the story "the small child didn't get a ride" doesn't work because with the ability to roll FP+ 4 all day long, you can take that small child on lots of rides and a missed original FP+ is a non-issue. I know because we do it. We did it crowded Easter week. We didn't even make our FP+ until arrival.

I don't know how it will work but I can see this being part of it ... it has been tested at Disney already, it has been Disney's response to recent emails regarding that issue (some published it on here) and I think someone there this week was told that in person. We'll have to wait and see and like other changes Disney makes folks hate, we'll have to make it work for us if we want to go.

Ok, just for planning purposes since our 60 day FP day is in about a week. I’m safe if I book FOP for all six of us even though only five of us are tall enough right? Then we just get to the FP window on that day at the beginning of the hour. DH takes two of our kids on it, while third kid and I wait with too short kid, then he returns, and I go on with third kid? And if we want to rope drop it or try to go on at the end of the night via stand by then all six of us can go up to the CM, show too short kid and get RS? Oh wait,, have to do this at RD since waiting too late wouldn’t allow enough time park time for the one hour window to work.
I considered myself a veteran logging in seven trips with kids before this and I’m confused. Thank goodness we can all do SDD! Whew! Lots to think about before FP booking day! I was thinking of booking our first three FPs for each day early and in a row so we had a chance at a fourth one, but now if I book one for EE, PW, SpaceM, and would like to use RS it would be safe to leave an hour after that window open for a RS.

6 FP+ but only 5 riders
Ride one Dad, Kid 1, Kid 2
Ride two Mom, Kid 3 and then either 1 or 2 can use non-rider Kid 4's MB & FP+ to go again

That clears their FP+ and you will be able to roll the 4th after all three are done.

While reading through this thread, I started thinking that if everyone needs a fp to use rider swap AND you have to utilize said rider swap within an hour (essentially back to back), then you don’t even need rider swap because it would work the same without rider swap.

Stay with me here, party splits in 2, first half rides going through fp line, while second half waits with too small child, then second half rides going through fp line while first half waits with too small child. Where is there a need for rider swap ticket?

We have used rider swap and Disney has created problem themselves because the rs ticket has an expiration date good til end of month we have gone in (except for fop and mine train - those were only good for the same day)
So if our trip was at the beginning of the month, rs ticket was good for the duration of our trip one time we went at the end of the month and it was only good for a day or two :confused3

I am curious to see how Disney handles this.

While reading through this thread, I started thinking that if everyone needs a fp to use rider swap AND you have to utilize said rider swap within an hour (essentially back to back), then you don’t even need rider swap because it would work the same without rider swap.

Stay with me here, party splits in 2, first half rides going through fp line, while second half waits with too small child, then second half rides going through fp line while first half waits with too small child. Where is there a need for rider swap ticket?

We have used rider swap and Disney has created problem themselves because the rs ticket has an expiration date good til end of month we have gone in (except for fop and mine train - those were only good for the same day)
So if our trip was at the beginning of the month, rs ticket was good for the duration of our trip one time we went at the end of the month and it was only good for a day or two :confused3

This would require you to only use the very beginning of your FP window. If you went at the end the second group wouldn't have time to ride without RS. Even if the hour for RS starts as soon as the first group rides you would at least have that hour, where if you got there with only 10 min left in your FP hour window there is no way you would have time for nearly all rides. Also, with RS the second rider is able to take up to 2 guests with them. So if you use RS 1 or 2 of your taller children get to ride twice - which is the one by product of RS that my DS8 loves!

This would require you to only use the very beginning of your FP window. If you went at the end the second group wouldn't have time to ride without RS. Even if the hour for RS starts as soon as the first group rides you would at least have that hour, where if you got there with only 10 min left in your FP hour window there is no way you would have time for nearly all rides. Also, with RS the second rider is able to take up to 2 guests with them. So if you use RS 1 or 2 of your taller children get to ride twice - which is the one by product of RS that my DS8 loves!

You are correct, I guess I was thinking about arriving at beginning of hour.

Please don't flame me, but I just want to understand, where are people getting the information that everyone has to have a fastpass to use rider swap? I did not see when when I read the linked articles on the first page, so I just want to know if that is something people are guessing or if it has in fact been disclosed as part of the planned changes. I am wondering because this what we were planning to do for our summer trip (FP booking window opens next week) and I am trying to find out if I need to change my plan, which is:

DH + older kids have a FP to ride 7DMT. I do not have a 7DMT FP. I walk with them to the entrance, and they add a rider swap to my magic band, and then I go and use my own FP for the same time period to ride Winnie the Pooh with the baby while the others ride 7DMT. We should both be done around the same time so it wouldn't be a problem for me to regroup with them, hand baby to DH, and ride 7DMT within an hour of when my band was scanned. Does this work?

Based on all the descriptions of the new digital changes, it seemed like this would be fine, but I see so many posts here saying "everyone needs a fastpass" and I don't know where that information is coming from.

I didn't seen anything in those articles either, but I did see a few threads on it before our April trip, and then I saw a family have an issue with it at FOP when we were there. We were behind a larger family and not everyone had FP and the CM would not issue them a RS, and they were having a big argument about it. I don't know how it was resolved as they eventually waived us through, although the family never caught up to us. One would hope Disney would provide some clarity for people for planning purposes before they implement things, and it does seem like one of those situations where the policy has become outdated from the technology so who knows how they'll resolve it. I saw a poster suggest some kind of companion pass for the too-short child, but who knows? :confused3 I hope you get some clarity before your window opens!

Please don't flame me, but I just want to understand, where are people getting the information that everyone has to have a fastpass to use rider swap? I did not see when when I read the linked articles on the first page, so I just want to know if that is something people are guessing or if it has in fact been disclosed as part of the planned changes. I am wondering because this what we were planning to do for our summer trip (FP booking window opens next week) and I am trying to find out if I need to change my plan, which is:

DH + older kids have a FP to ride 7DMT. I do not have a 7DMT FP. I walk with them to the entrance, and they add a rider swap to my magic band, and then I go and use my own FP for the same time period to ride Winnie the Pooh with the baby while the others ride 7DMT. We should both be done around the same time so it wouldn't be a problem for me to regroup with them, hand baby to DH, and ride 7DMT within an hour of when my band was scanned. Does this work?

Based on all the descriptions of the new digital changes, it seemed like this would be fine, but I see so many posts here saying "everyone needs a fastpass" and I don't know where that information is coming from.

What they are saying is if you enter the FP line and ask for a RS, everyone in the party needs a FP to obtain a RS in the FP line. If you get in standby and ask for a RS, then the other part of your party can use the FP line with the RS. Do you see?

The way my family uses the RS, we all have FP, and my 2 girls get to ride twice. We could divide an conquer, the way we do it with RS the girls get to ride everything twice. Yes, Disney did do this to themselves and why they are correcting the problem finally. As long as they always allow 3 to swap, we will keep doing it this way until my son can ride everything with us. They may change it to 2 in the future and then RS would be almost obsolete.

I didn't seen anything in those articles either, but I did see a few threads on it before our April trip, and then I saw a family have an issue with it at FOP when we were there. We were behind a larger family and not everyone had FP and the CM would not issue them a RS, and they were having a big argument about it. I don't know how it was resolved as they eventually waived us through, although the family never caught up to us. One would hope Disney would provide some clarity for people for planning purposes before they implement things, and it does seem like one of those situations where the policy has become outdated from the technology so who knows how they'll resolve it. I saw a poster suggest some kind of companion pass for the too-short child, but who knows? :confused3 I hope you get some clarity before your window opens!

I found the post that copied and pasted the letter that Disney sent to them, and others that inquired have reported receiving the same thing ...

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! We are excited that you are going to be visiting us!

A "child swap" procedure is in place at our Theme Park Attractions, which enables parents to take turns experiencing our rides when a small child is in the party. After proceeding through the standard queue area at each Attraction, one parent experiences the presentation while the other remains behind with the child or children who cannot ride. At the conclusion of the ride, the parents simply change places, permitting the second parent to also experience the Attraction. However, in fairness to all Guests, we ask that only those individuals who did not ride with the first parent accompany the second parent riding. The following Attractions offer "child swap" procedure at this time. Magic Kingdom® Theme Park: Frontierland® Area: Splash Mountain® Attraction Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction Fantasyland® Area: The Barnstormer Attraction Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Tomorrowland® Area: Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway Space Mountain® Attraction Stitch's Great Escape! Attraction Epcot® Theme Park: Mission: SPACE® Attraction Test Track® Attraction Soarin'® Attraction Disney's Hollywood Studios® Theme Park: Star Tours®-The Adventure Continues Attraction Rock 'N Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: Kali River Rapids® Attraction Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain® Primeval Whirl® Attraction Dinosaur Attraction Attractions are subject to change without notice.

When booking your FastPass+ selections, you should still book a FastPass for your husband even if doing the Rider Switch so as to guarantee that he will be able to participate in all of the rides.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Perry Rohm
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit."

I have 1 child that is too short for some rides & another child that does not like the faster rides (SDMT etc.) so when planning FPs for our upcoming July trip, I was unsure if I should get a FP for my husband for the rides we'd be doing Rider Switch (especially SDD & FOP!). I wrote Disney and sadly, below was Disney's response. Just thought I'd share. I'm disappointed my husband cannot get FP to ride a different ride with the too short child (i.e. TSMM with a FP while my other kid and I ride SDD). It feels like the too short child is being penalized.

....cut and pasted above .....

I found the post that copied and pasted the letter that Disney sent to them, and others that inquired have reported receiving the same thing ...

"Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort! We are excited that you are going to be visiting us!

A "child swap" procedure is in place at our Theme Park Attractions, which enables parents to take turns experiencing our rides when a small child is in the party. After proceeding through the standard queue area at each Attraction, one parent experiences the presentation while the other remains behind with the child or children who cannot ride. At the conclusion of the ride, the parents simply change places, permitting the second parent to also experience the Attraction. However, in fairness to all Guests, we ask that only those individuals who did not ride with the first parent accompany the second parent riding. The following Attractions offer "child swap" procedure at this time. Magic Kingdom® Theme Park: Frontierland® Area: Splash Mountain® Attraction Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction Fantasyland® Area: The Barnstormer Attraction Seven Dwarfs Mine Train Tomorrowland® Area: Tomorrowland® Indy Speedway Space Mountain® Attraction Stitch's Great Escape! Attraction Epcot® Theme Park: Mission: SPACE® Attraction Test Track® Attraction Soarin'® Attraction Disney's Hollywood Studios® Theme Park: Star Tours®-The Adventure Continues Attraction Rock 'N Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park: Kali River Rapids® Attraction Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain® Primeval Whirl® Attraction Dinosaur Attraction Attractions are subject to change without notice.

When booking your FastPass+ selections, you should still book a FastPass for your husband even if doing the Rider Switch so as to guarantee that he will be able to participate in all of the rides.

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Perry Rohm
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit."

Well know, that is interesting. Especially the “in fairness to all guests” part. Looks like they are discouraging people from riding twice. Am I reading that correctly?

Well know, that is interesting. Especially the “in fairness to all guests” part. Looks like they are discouraging people from riding twice. Am I reading that correctly?

I do think that "in fairness to all guests" part is very interesting since this is clearly a planned out canned letter. To me it seems the new policy, whatever it is, is looking at the existing program as unfair to guests overall. This is in line with the GAC/DAS changes so we'll see what changes they make.

I will say with the DAS, putting things digital made it a consistent program across the board ... and there is no arguing with CMs, the computers determine all.

I do think that "in fairness to all guests" part is very interesting since this is clearly a planned out canned letter. To me it seems the new policy, whatever it is, is looking at the existing program as unfair to guests overall. This is in line with the GAC/DAS changes so we'll see what changes they make.

I will say with the DAS, putting things digital made it a consistent program across the board ... and there is no arguing with CMs, the computers determine all.
Not that it will put an end to people arguing with the CMs...but we digress...

I wonder if the notion of discouraging people from riding twice will just be a “request” or part of the actual policy? ie: will they load a RS on someone’s band if they know they will be accompanying parent #1. I guess we will soon see...

Not that it will put an end to people arguing with the CMs...but we digress...

The one constant we will always have ........... and have seen some beauties. Some so bad I go up to the CM after and tell them they were right, guest was wrong and don't let them ruin your day.

Has there been confirmation from Disney when this will go into effect? Our dates are 13-23...wondering if we need to change things around.

I wonder if the notion of discouraging people from riding twice will just be a “request” or part of the actual policy? ie: will they load a RS on someone’s band if they know they will be accompanying parent #1. I guess we will soon see...

I HOPE that is not the case, then my girls won't ever get to ride together unless my husband or I decide not to ride, or we ride alone. I like the 3 people added back on thing for many reasons. But if they make it that way, so be it.

I HOPE that is not the case, then my girls won't ever get to ride together unless my husband or I decide not to ride, or we ride alone. I like the 3 people added back on thing for many reasons. But if they make it that way, so be it.

Same exact scenario for us, except it’s my boys :-). My DH and I don’t particularly want to ride alone, and the taller kids tolerate how long the whole process takes because they at least get 2 rides out of the deal. But as long as they have a consistent policy I’ll deal with whatever change they make. I just want it to be consistent, and not that some times they let them ride twice and other times they are told no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter