Rider Switch during Extra Magic Hours ??

Day-Day

DIS Veteran
Are Rider Switch passes distributed during Extra Magic Hours (EMH)?

Is there a process for handling Rider Switch during the morning and the evening EMH's?

If the Rider Swtich pass is good until the end-of-the-month, then a pass distributed during an evening EMH could be helpful even if we used it later during our stay.

If the Rider Swtich pass is good until the end-of-the-month, then a pass distributed during an evening EMH could be helpful even if we used it later during our stay.

Most major (if not all) current RS passes are now only good on the same date as the pass is issued.

In a similar vein, can you get a RS pass during an am EMH? I'm betting my son won't want to do the real ride on TOT by the time he gets to the front of the line, so I'll probably be taking him in the "chicken elevator" while DH rides during am EMH. I'd love to get a RS pass and do TOT later in the day between shows we want to see.

In a similar vein, can you get a RS pass during an am EMH? I'm betting my son won't want to do the real ride on TOT by the time he gets to the front of the line, so I'll probably be taking him in the "chicken elevator" while DH rides during am EMH. I'd love to get a RS pass and do TOT later in the day between shows we want to see.

I wouldn’t ask for a RS pass in this situation. You may not be given one since everyone in your party is tall enough to ride. If you get to the front and your DS doesn’t want to ride, ask the CM if there’s a way to do an internal swap so that you and your DH can both ride without too much hassle.

Probably can get one.
But, if the child is tall enough to go thru the queue (tall enough to ride)
there is no guarantee that the CM at ToT will issue a RS pass.

I'm very confused. I did not think RS was limited to children who were too short. My impression was that RS is for anyone who has someone in their party who will not be riding, whether it's because they're too short, too scared, or any other reason.

If you get to the front and your DS doesn’t want to ride, ask the CM if there’s a way to do an internal swap so that you and your DH can both ride without too much hassle.

Will they do that? My impression was that they do internal swaps at Universal, but not at Disney. If we do an internal swap, would DS leave via the "chicken elevator"?

I'm very confused. I did not think RS was limited to children who were too short. My impression was that RS is for anyone who has someone in their party who will not be riding, whether it's because they're too short, too scared, or any other reason.
Will they do that? My impression was that they do internal swaps at Universal, but not at Disney. If we do an internal swap, would DS leave via the "chicken elevator"?

As I said, there are no guarantees that a CM will issue a RS pass.
(Some might. Some might not.)
The RS system is specifically designed for use by parents of children who do not reach
the height requirements of attractions.

This is one of THE most-discussed "family issues" on the boards.
If you want to read more, do a search for "Rider Swap" or "Baby Swap" on this board.

It depends on the CM. There have been reports of folks being denied RS when everyone in the party is tall enough. Many have reported having to show the baby to the CM in order to obtain a pass.

We haven’t tried an internal swap at Disney, but I’ve read some reports here and there of people having success using it.

The other thing I don’t know is whether or not you can get a RS pass at boarding. I thought it was only available at the ride entrance, but I could be wrong.

The other thing I don’t know is whether or not you can get a RS pass at boarding. I thought it was only available at the ride entrance, but I could be wrong.

Technically, the Rider Swap (since it is issued for guests with kids TOO SHORT to enter the queue) it needs to be available
outside and before entry to the ride queue.

If you get denied simply because a child is too scared to ride but meets the height requirements, show them the Disneyworld website where it says (and I copied and pasted) that if a child "does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem!". See below and here is the link
: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out! Read More

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!
If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

My son never wanted to ride ToT until very recently. We would all go through the line together, then tell the CM at the entrance to the elevators that he didn't want to ride. He and I would be taken down another elevator and we'd wait in that hallway where they post the ride photos. When my husband and daughter emerged, my daughter and I would back to the elevator, be taken back up, and be put at the front of the line. We've been doing this for years. My son has been tall enough to ride the whole time.

If you get denied simply because a child is too scared to ride but meets the height requirements, show them the Disneyworld website where it says (and I copied and pasted) that if a child "does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem!". See below and here is the link
: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out! Read More

If Guests in your party can’t or don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out!
If a child does not meet the height requirement or a Guest does not wish to board a particular attraction, no problem! With Rider Switch, one adult can wait with the non-rider (or riders) while the rest of the party enjoys the attraction. When the other adult returns, they can supervise the non-riding Guests, and the waiting adult can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!

This erroneous Disney site entry has been posted many times over the years.
If you want to read more discussion in this regard, do a search for "Rider Swap" or "Baby Swap" on this board.
The CM(s) at the attraction have the final say.
Sorry they don't give accurate info on their site.

My son never wanted to ride ToT until very recently. We would all go through the line together, then tell the CM at the entrance to the elevators that he didn't want to ride. He and I would be taken down another elevator and we'd wait in that hallway where they post the ride photos. When my husband and daughter emerged, my daughter and I would back to the elevator, be taken back up, and be put at the front of the line. We've been doing this for years. My son has been tall enough to ride the whole time.

Yes.
That can happen.

That’s the internal swap I referenced upthread. Thanks for reporting how you accomplished the swap.

This erroneous Disney site entry has been posted many times over the years.
If you want to read more discussion in this regard, do a search for "Rider Swap" or "Baby Swap" on this board.
The CM(s) at the attraction have the final say.
Sorry they don't give accurate info on their site.

Wow, something incorrect on the website for years and they don't correct it? Yikes...

Wow, something incorrect on the website for years and they don't correct it? Yikes...

Sadly, this is far from the "only" thing.

(Telling guests that the resort-to-park buses start running "an hour before the park opens"
is another golden oldie.)

Back to one of my original questions, is there a process for rider switch during evening EMH?

It seems that many of the rides use the fastpass queue for allowing on riders with a rider switch pass but there is no active fastpass line during EMH.

One other item to note regarding rider switch
It's not uncommon for them to deny giving them out when the stand by line is short (I believe it's less than 20 min), even when the child is too short or all rules are otherwise being followed.
I suppose the reasoning is there's no reason not to use stand by line for both riding parties when stand by is short.
So this may come in to play during EMH

It depends on the CM. There have been reports of folks being denied RS when everyone in the party is tall enough. Many have reported having to show the baby to the CM in order to obtain a pass.

We haven’t tried an internal swap at Disney, but I’ve read some reports here and there of people having success using it.

They changed it up and now give them out as you board, not at the entrance to the ride. They give you a card at the entrance but the actual swap pass to return with is given at boarding.

You can use internal swap when a child is tall enough to enter the queue. In that case, the child can go out the chicken exit. Or adult for that matter, whoever it is that doesn't want to ride but otherwise wants to stand in line with their group. They can go in and then exit before riding. Only too short children can't enter the queue at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter