Rides breaking down at alarming rate

Last August, it took an hour for us to complete our safari tour. It was due to a vehicle issue — not anything with the animals!

When I am on a safari at 9:00 am, I don’t expect to be delayed 45+ min for an issue that really should have been identified on a pre-opening inspection. I realize a tire issue *could* have happened right then, but radio chatter (seated directly behind driver) didn’t indicate was sudden. I think it may have been a sensor indicated issue, so they had to stop vehicle.

It took a very long time to get the service vehicle out there (once secured animals). Not sure if it was towed, they had to change vehicles, or what as we weren’t close enough to see. But it was very uncomfortable sitting there that long & knowing there was no way out/off. We at least had some shade compared to those out in direct sun but nothing to enjoy or watch other than the tiny lizards on the trees.

We have been on many, many safari tours since the park opened, experienced reasonable delays for animals, but never a vehicle breakdown. I’m sure it happens but it really stood out when coupled with the other breakdowns we saw and see more of looking at the app these days.

We also had a very long delay with GotG when one side went down. While the other side kept running and moving passengers along, our side was stuck waiting and waiting. After much too long and patience was wearing thin, they finally moved those stuck on our side (ramp & queues) to ride in the opposite one. Not sure why it wasn’t done sooner as it would have gone a long way with satisfaction even during a breakdown. We rode another time that week and the pre-ride special effect wasn’t working either. Pretty disappointing with a brand new ride.

Those are the two big ones I remember but not all that were happening. I’ve been going to WDW for so many years but the type of breakdowns mentioned in this post definitely are happening and negatively impacting the magic that, in the past, the company worked to cultivate.

I think with so many entertainment options being removed (2 showings of fireworks, electric light parade, Fantasmic; live performers; more character greetings), more meals being prefix &/or $$$, removing benches/rest areas that used to exist, shorter park hours, it’s all working to create more stress on the rides to perform at peak capacity. And they are failing, too many and too often at the same times and even worse in the same park.

My family has been stuck on several rides. I consider it stuck not when it slows down or waits for a few minutes, but when you have to actually get out and exit a different way.

Disney slaps a band aid on some of these rides over and over again. Some of them need a complete overhaul and to be shut down for months. On the other hand, guests can make the ride stop, too. I've heard stories from attractions CMs about someone vomiting on a ride, peeing on a ride, dropping a phone, hat, you name it, and my favorite was a CM friend who told me about an old lady whose teeth fell out on a ride and they paused the ride to find her teeth.

Just back from 10 days at WDW and had an amazing time and have a lot of reviews but the one thing I noticed worse than ever before was an abundance of rides, especially the bigger draws, breaking down at an alarming rate. I check the app regularly just to look at wait times and I would notice rides down at the other parks I wasn't in that day too. Wait times were out of control yet the parks were not packed at all. I attribute this to all the breakdowns. I rope dropped Hollywood and Rise wasn't working from the get-go so it wasn't a matter of overworking/stressing the mechanisms. Remy...constantly down. Frozen ever after...down a LOT. Rise I noticed down often. And not even all the newer technologies. Pirates would be down a lot. Peter Pan. Pooh. I even saw People Mover down once...I didn't know it could even stop! Etc. Etc. Definitely a little disconcerting.
For anyone interested in looking at the data, Thrill Data shows how long rides go down on particular days. On the main page of each ride, near the bottom, there is a graph for the past 30 days called "Possibly Delays" that shows the amount of time down per day. This includes weather events and also times when the site isn't retrieving data (in rare cases). Here are a few rides that you mentioned:

Remy -
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/epcot/remysratatouilleadventure/

Frozen -
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/epcot/frozeneverafter/

Pirates - https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/magic-kingdom/piratesofthecaribbean/

For Pirates, I have to assume you were there on July 9 and maybe July 7-8. You can see that at least for the past 30 days, this was an anomaly, as it doesn't generally break down this much. Frozen and Remy are a little more concerning since they have a number of days that have downtimes in excess of an hour, and a couple with as much as 3 hours.

It's hard for me to judge just on this snapshot what an "alarming" rate would be, although I do agree that having so many rides down at the same time is certainly problematic. I think it's typically ancetodal to think rides are seemingly down a lot when you are constantly checking the app and at the park at a certain time. And it wouldn't surprise me if the breakdowns are occurring more now for the reasons other people have mentioned. But it's important to look at the stats to really see how long the rides are down across the board.

I'd think having 10 rides down for one hour a day would be preferable to having one ride down the entire day. Of course, it would be great if rides were never down, but more importantly, I'd rather the rides be down for safety assurances than be running without them.

I'll be interested to see how it goes in August. When we went in spring of 2018 we had SO many ride breakdowns. We were evacuated off of LwtL, and stopped for 10+ minutes on many more rides. It became a joke- we still had a blast but it definitely impacted our trip. Our next trip was last summer (2022) and it was considerably better for us. We really didn't have any stops longer than 5ish minutes (HM is the one I'm thinking of) and we didn't get on Dinosaur because it was down most of our AK day, but other than that ride closures didn't so much impact us and were much less noticeable than in 2018. I guess we will see how next month compares!

If they are testing something at the track then a glance at the delay data shows the test is a failure. I suspect more riders evacuated from that attraction than any other over the last few years. Test Track tests patience more than any other parameter.

Bad maintenance increases general stresses in WDW.

Last edited:
For anyone interested in looking at the data, Thrill Data shows how long rides go down on particular days. On the main page of each ride, near the bottom, there is a graph for the past 30 days called "Possibly Delays" that shows the amount of time down per day. This includes weather events and also times when the site isn't retrieving data (in rare cases). Here are a few rides that you mentioned:

Remy -
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/epcot/remysratatouilleadventure/

Frozen -
https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/epcot/frozeneverafter/

Pirates - https://www.thrill-data.com/waits/attraction/magic-kingdom/piratesofthecaribbean/

For Pirates, I have to assume you were there on July 9 and maybe July 7-8. You can see that at least for the past 30 days, this was an anomaly, as it doesn't generally break down this much. Frozen and Remy are a little more concerning since they have a number of days that have downtimes in excess of an hour, and a couple with as much as 3 hours.

It's hard for me to judge just on this snapshot what an "alarming" rate would be, although I do agree that having so many rides down at the same time is certainly problematic. I think it's typically ancetodal to think rides are seemingly down a lot when you are constantly checking the app and at the park at a certain time. And it wouldn't surprise me if the breakdowns are occurring more now for the reasons other people have mentioned. But it's important to look at the stats to really see how long the rides are down across the board.

I'd think having 10 rides down for one hour a day would be preferable to having one ride down the entire day. Of course, it would be great if rides were never down, but more importantly, I'd rather the rides be down for safety assurances than be running without them.
When you go to Disney today, you will see pretty much ever ride outage. People are on their phones all day looking at ride times and seeing the issues.

Even if they aren't close to an attraction that is down, they see it.

Guests are much more likely share being stuck on social media or report it in forums.

It is certainly more memorable to be stuck or having an issue because it breaks the illusion created by the attraction. I have been on some attractions dozens of times, but what stands out is that one time I had to wait for 15 minutes.

For example, I recall waiting 45 minutes to go on Smuggler's Run last year and the power failed, shutting the ride. We could not ride. I must have went on dozens of rides during that trip, but that is what stands out.

When something dramatic happens, like people wading out of Pirates, the video is shared millions of times. When people successfully go on the ride, no one cares.

Now, does all the anecdotal evidence we see really mean rides are going down more often? Maybe. Or maybe because it just seems that way.

Earlier, I posted that rides never went down before smartphones. Of course they did, but only the people directly impacted knew about it. All the information we are bombarded with can taint the reality of what is going on.

None of this is an excuse for ride maintenance issues, but it should be pointed out.

We were at Disney over a week ago and luckily did not have the same negative experience. The only ride that broke down while we were physically inside its building was Buzz Lightyear, but it was running soon after and we were able to ride it several times throughout our trip. No other rides broke down while we were in the queue or on the vehicle.

We visit quite often (local-ish AP) and have never been evacuated off a ride so I don't pay a huge amount of attention to what rides are up when. If it's not up when we want to ride, we just catch it the next time.

That said, today we were at MK and tried to do Enchanted Tales and it was brutal. The line is mostly outside so we waited and waited and waited (posted 15 minute wait). People ahead of us (in the AC!) started to leave. Not a great sign. Kept waiting, people kept leaving, and we ended up in the AC. Hoorah! Except we learned from chatting with others that no one had been allowed into the attraction/show in 40+ minutes, thus the people leaving as we arrived.

We kept waiting, since we were now in AC and life was good, until a CM stepped out and said that they were still having technical issues but they were still open and she had no idea when it'd be up. We'd already been there 30+ minutes (and remember, others had been there much longer and already bailed) so threw in the towel, along with nearly everyone else. They also updated the time from 15 to 40 on the app :rolleyes2

However, the real losers in the situation were those with a LL. 1) it looked as if their line was completely outdoors and 2) because the attraction was still "open" their LL didn't convert so they were all sitting on the ground outside just waiting. Pretty big line had formed (another good reason why it was best for us to scoot from standby). I felt really bad for them.

Those sitting at home probably just saw the attraction with a 40 minute wait on a Saturday morning. It was WAY more than 40 minutes, and was technically down IMO. If technical difficulties are keeping you from allowing anyone in for that long, they should close it and let those LL folks convert to another ride.

*if I recall, everything was up at park opening. Jungle Cruise went down for a bit early on but it was back up after not too long

WDWNT posted this a few days ago, looks like during the time you were there. Whatever the reason, this CANNOT continue to happen. All it does is drive guests away and give them another reason not to come back.

https://wdwnt.com/2023/07/magic-kingdom-multiple-attractions-down/

Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan’s Flight, and PeopleMover All Down This Morning at Magic Kingdom

July 9, 2023byJonathan D

It’s a rough morning for guests hoping to ride some of their favorite attractions early today, as Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan’s Flight, and the Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover were all temporarily closed at Magic Kingdom this morning. The PeopleMover recently came back to life, and Peter Pan’s Flight may have just returned to operation — but the other three remain in the dark.
And they needlessly closed Splash Mountain for 18 months (or longer?) to work on its inferior replacement. Don't get me started on Salt Mine Mountain...

Disney is supposed to be doing routine maintenance during off-hours, to prevent many of the breakdowns. The parks are practically keeping the company afloat financially, because our Disney vacations are (much) more expensive than ever. They need to reward our loyalty and do everything possible to keep rides open. Some breakdowns are inevitable, but this is epidemic, and a huge disservice to their guests.

Last edited:
Kinda makes G+ more appealing when most stuff turns into experience credits…
I wrote about this in another thread, but a week ago at MK, we had 3 experience credits available that were essentially useless. All the worthwhile rides were down (5 at a time, some for half the day or longer), and you can’t use them on SM, JC and others you might want to do instead. We could have used them on Little Mermaid or Winnie the Pooh instead of Pirates or BTMR, which is not a great trade off.

You can’t carry those credits over to another park either if you park hop.

You can’t carry those credits over to another park either if you park hop.
That’s the part I think is ridiculous. I get why they can’t let them work on the most popular rides as the system is already swamped but they should be valid across the parks, I also think they should have an expiration of like 2 days so those at the end of their day don’t lose the passes.

And HS opened this morning with slinky and RnR down…..

Did this show up right away in MDE or did you only find out when you arrived at the ride? Trying to plan for early entry in August and don’t want to waste time if the closures show up right away in MDE. Thank you!

For what it's worth, here's the approximate amount of downtime per day for major WDW attractions, by park, through the first 6 months of the year.

These numbers do not count planned maintenance. So the Kali River Rapids refurb that ended on Feb 25, doesn't count as downtime here.

Animal Kingdom
  • Dinosaur: 45 mins
  • Everest: 45 mins
  • Kali River Rapids: 45 mins
  • TriceraTop Spin: 30 mins
  • Attractions that run well: Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Na'Vi River Journey, shows, films
EPCOT
  • Test Track: 75 mins
  • Remy's Ratatouille Adventure: 60 mins
  • Frozen Ever After: 50 mins
  • Spaceship Earth: 40 mins
  • Journey Into Imagination: 25 mins
  • Attractions that run well: Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission: Space, Soarin', The Seas w/Nemo, boat rides, shows, films
Hollywood Studios
  • Rise of the Resistance: 110 mins (not a typo)
  • Rock 'n Roller Coaster: 100 mins (since reopening)
  • Runaway Railway: 60 mins
  • Slinky Dog Dash: 55 mins
  • Lightning McQueen: 40 mins
  • Tower of Terror: 20 mins (and it runs often at partial capacity)
  • Attractions that run well: Toy Story Mania, Smugglers Run, Star Tours, shows and films
Magic Kingdom
  • Magic Carpets of Aladdin: 90 mins
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: 65 mins
  • Space Mountain: 65 mins
  • 7 Dwarfs Mine Train: 60 mins
  • Big Thunder: 55 mins
  • Peoplemover: 50 mins
  • Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: 45 mins
  • Haunted Mansion: 35 mins
  • Barnstormer: 30 mins
  • Journey of the Little Mermaid: 25 mins
  • Peter Pan: 25 mins
  • Buzz Lightyear: 20 mins
  • Carousel of Progress: 20 mins
  • Attractions that run well: Astro Orbiter, TRON, character greetings, shows, Country Bears, Dumbo, Tiki Room, HOP, Jungle Cruise, Mad Tea Party, IASW, Swiss Family Treehouse

For what it's worth, here's the approximate amount of downtime per day for major WDW attractions, by park, through the first 6 months of the year.

These numbers do not count planned maintenance. So the Kali River Rapids refurb that ended on Feb 25, doesn't count as downtime here.

Animal Kingdom
  • Attractions that run well: Flight of Passage, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Na'Vi River Journey, shows, films
EPCOT
  • Attractions that run well: Guardians of the Galaxy, Mission: Space, Soarin', The Seas w/Nemo, boat rides, shows, films
Hollywood Studios
  • Attractions that run well: Toy Story Mania, Smugglers Run, Star Tours, shows and films
Magic Kingdom
  • Attractions that run well: Astro Orbiter, TRON, character greetings, shows, Country Bears, Dumbo, Tiki Room, HOP, Jungle Cruise, Mad Tea Party, IASW, Swiss Family Treehouse
What is the source if this info?

Maybe Disney has decided to wait until the legal issues of Park Maintenance , and whatever else is settled with the State of Florida…
Sometimes I think Florida has really bad road maintnenance and the only government solution is more toll roads And they are starting to use inferior quality road pavement to keep the money flowing… anyway just follow the money or give up . But I do not expect improvement until universal has completed EPIC and all their construction workers are available forDisney .

Animal Kingdom
EPCOT
Hollywood Studios
Magic Kingdom
Thanks for taking the time to share this.

Heckuva way to run a crowded premium vacation destination. Of course many of the more popular attractions have the worst statistics but hey Astro Orbiter is up and running.

Maybe Disney has decided to wait until the legal issues of Park Maintenance , and whatever else is settled with the State of Florida…
I don't understand what the current legal issues have to do with park maintenance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter