Rides/Queues With Stairs

Maggie7313

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know where I could find a list of attractions/queues that have more than a few stairs?

My sister will be joining us for part of our visit and has a leg injury that makes it difficult for her to climb more than 5-6 stairs. I know she can handle things like the couple of steps needed to climb into the boats on Pirates but I'm not sure how much of an issue this is going to be.

The treehouse is obviously out but are there other attractions we should be prepared for? Or lines that may require climbing?

Does anyone know where I could find a list of attractions/queues that have more than a few stairs?

My sister will be joining us for part of our visit and has a leg injury that makes it difficult for her to climb more than 5-6 stairs. I know she can handle things like the couple of steps needed to climb into the boats on Pirates but I'm not sure how much of an issue this is going to be.

The treehouse is obviously out but are there other attractions we should be prepared for? Or lines that may require climbing?

There are actually quite a few queues that require a few stairs, but there are alternate routes for those with Guest Assistance Cards. For example, Indiana Jones, California Screamin', half of Tower of Terror I believe, Splash Mountain, and the exit for Space Mountain are all stairs. Autopia too I believe. I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. You can get a GAC for "no stairs" and then you just show that to the CM working out front and they'll let you guys know what to do :)

There are actually quite a few queues that require a few stairs, but there are alternate routes for those with Guest Assistance Cards. For example, Indiana Jones, California Screamin', half of Tower of Terror I believe, Splash Mountain, and the exit for Space Mountain are all stairs. Autopia too I believe. I'm sure there's stuff I'm forgetting. You can get a GAC for "no stairs" and then you just show that to the CM working out front and they'll let you guys know what to do :)

...Also Toy Story Mania, Jungle Cruise (if they open upstairs to manage queues) and It's a Small World. There are lots of rides that have stairs at the entrance, the exit, or both. It's not a problem, tho. Go to City Hall and get her a Guest Assistance Card. As long as she can climb in and out of ride vehicles, she won't be limited at all. They won't make her take stairs.

Don't let it be an issue!

Go to City Hall first thing and have her get a Guest Assistance Card for the rides with stairs in them. She will get to go in an alternative way so she doesn't have to deal with it at all. There's just no need for her to hurt herself. She doesn't need a note or proof, she just needs to explain her need to not deal with stairs.

I'm glad I asked since it sounds like there are stairs everywhere! Sis won't like it but will stop and ask for the past first thing since I think she would like ending up in a wheelchair even less. I think she has one more visit to the ortho before our trip. Would it be better if she were to get a note from her doctor?

I'm glad I asked since it sounds like there are stairs everywhere! Sis won't like it but will stop and ask for the past first thing since I think she would like ending up in a wheelchair even less. I think she has one more visit to the ortho before our trip. Would it be better if she were to get a note from her doctor?

A doctor's note won't be necessary, but she will need to get a GAC to avoid stairs. Most (not all) of the queues at DCA are integrated, but several if them will have stairs at the exit, so show the pass each time and don't assume she'll be fine just because you don't see stairs on the way in.

She does not need a note from her doctor.. The CM at City Hall will ask what is "difficult" for you (they can not ask you your medical condition" and how many members are in your party, and the dates if your visit...I get one for my mom for the very same reason..stairs and she can't stand for long periods of time.. Sometimes FP pass que's will have stairs as well... Normally with the GAC card you get to enter the ride through the exit but there are some expections.. Rides like Screamn, Indy where there are stairs that cross over the ride track there is an elevator to go up, walk over and another elevator to go down to the load stations.

Something I have never seen posted and almost no cast member even thinks about this... The end of Haunted mansion is not stairs but its a moving belt on a very steep incline. The cast member once talked us into leaving my husbands wheel chair outside if they could get us on with no stand wait. I was so scared on that exit. He could barely hold himself up and i was behind helping push him up. Never ever again will we do that. We always bring the wheel chair in and then we ride the elevator in reverse to exit. So be advised if you do that exit know she has to be able to stand on an incline. Which I guess to many is no issue. He has muscular dystrophy.

In my experience, in addition to stairs being difficult you may want to include moving platforms, those are sometimes difficult to transition to/from with a bad knee.

I have gotten a GAC the past 3 trips due to a hip injury that is aggravated by the use of stairs (among other things).

To add to the list of rides above Thunder Mountain (accessible line is at the exit), the Tiki Room, the Submarines (I use the alternate viewing room), Aladdin (use the elevators), Tarzan Tree House (she will have to skip this, there is no alternative)

I have gotten a GAC the past 3 trips due to a hip injury that is aggravated by the use of stairs (among other things).

To add to the list of rides above Thunder Mountain (accessible line is at the exit), the Tiki Room, the Submarines (I use the alternate viewing room), Aladdin (use the elevators), Tarzan Tree House (she will have to skip this, there is no alternative)

Another one she'll have to forego is the Sleeping Beauty castle walkthrough due to the stairs going up and down. Next to the castle exit from Fantasyland (east side, or left as you're going to Main Street) there is a room where you can virtually travel through the castle. They have a similar room at the Finding Nemo subs attraction, like disneychrista said.

Thank you all for the additions to the list - it is far more extensive that I expected or remembered. I suppose that is a side effect of running up and down stairs with ease.

I shared the thread with my sister and she agrees that we need to get her a pass. She did have an additional question. Where she needs to go through an alternate entrance, will she be limited to the accessible ride vehicles? I know that only a certain number of wheelchair and ECV folks can ride at one time but I don't know how that applies to other limitations. She is sure she can do enough stairs to get in and out of regular vehicles but wants to know whether she will have that choice.

I think she is primarily concerned that we will have really long waits or that people will not believe her (she is a marathoner and looks like one). I did pull the big sister card. I don't care about waits or what people think. I just don't want her getting hurt even more.

Thank you also for the moving walkways tip (I remember how steep HM is and I'm horrified by that CM. We definitely need to think about that one. I'm also going to do my best to keep her off the mountains and California Screamin' since an evacuation (highly unlikely, I know) would be so difficult and I don't think her leg needs the additional pressure from going around the turns.

Where she needs to go through an alternate entrance, will she be limited to the accessible ride vehicles? I know that only a certain number of wheelchair and ECV folks can ride at one time but I don't know how that applies to other limitations. She is sure she can do enough stairs to get in and out of regular vehicles but wants to know whether she will have that choice.
Here is the issue. The regular ride vehicles exit to the side with stairs. She will need the accessible ride vehicles as they exit to the side WITHOUT stairs. She will still have to step into the vehicles. She won't have a problem at POTC, as there are no stairs. On a ride such as Indy, she will simply show her card at the gate just prior to the stairs and they will pull her to the elevator area. On Space Mountain, Toy Story and Racers, she will need to use the accessible vehicle as it exits to flat ground, whereas the regular vehicles exit to the stairways. On TOT she will use the regular line, then show her card as she approaches the podium and they will send her to the right. Goofy's Sky Skool use the regular line, then just tell the folks as she exits she needs the elevator. Autopia - Regular line, show the card as she approaches the stairs and they will reroute her to the elevator.

I just wanted to confirm that I think you made the right choice. We were at DLR this past weekend - we had been in 2010 but apparently had not paid attention to the stairs. We are normally active and not averse to stairs but since we ran the half this trip, the ol' legs were not so keen on the stairs. We were shocked at how many there were, it almost became a joke, "What is the obsession with these parks and STAIRS!" They are everywhere, so getting a GAC and getting it out at all of the rides will make your life better.

Thank you again so much for the advice (particularly regarding ride configurations). You all are awesome!

They can't look at a doctor's note so don't bother. Please encourage her to not think one more second about what others might think. My husband had thoughts about looking big and people thinking THAT'S why he was in a scooter and refused to rent the scooter. Made his trip miserable. Hurt him worse. He was injured because he had been jogging too early in his fitness regime!

It might be a bit slower than standby, it might not. If she does NOT use the GAC she will be sitting on benches waiting for you, or utterly destroying herself with the stairs. A bit of a wait is a far better option.

At some rides (TSMM comes to mind) they can load you in the regular area, but mark the vehicle to exit at the handicapped exit. They may or may not offer this option.

Malcon10t said:
Here is the issue. The regular ride vehicles exit to the side with stairs. She will need the accessible ride vehicles as they exit to the side WITHOUT stairs. She will still have to step into the vehicles. She won't have a problem at POTC, as there are no stairs. On a ride such as Indy, she will simply show her card at the gate just prior to the stairs and they will pull her to the elevator area. On Space Mountain, Toy Story and Racers, she will need to use the accessible vehicle as it exits to flat ground, whereas the regular vehicles exit to the stairways. On TOT she will use the regular line, then show her card as she approaches the podium and they will send her to the right. Goofy's Sky Skool use the regular line, then just tell the folks as she exits she needs the elevator. Autopia - Regular line, show the card as she approaches the stairs and they will reroute her to the elevator.

I don't believe this is quite accurate. I have a "no stairs" GAC. I do not wait for the accessible vehicles on rides. I ride in the normal vehicles. There is no reason for them to "waste" an accessible vehicle (of which there are limited number available) on someone who simply can't do stairs.

They DO ask me, "Are one or two stairs okay?" and they are. So that may be the difference. I believe they provide you with the accessible vehicle if you cannot do ANY stairs, however, just having a "no stairs" stamp does not mean waiting for the accessible vehicle.

OP, make sure she shows it at the entrance of every attracting, though, even if you don't see stairs. RSR, for example, has no stairs at all (hmmm... Maybe 1 or 2?) to get on the cars, but there are TONS at the end when you exit. The person who puts us IN our car, flips a switch that has my car end up somewhere else at the end so I exit with no stairs and meet friends/family from other vehicles where they exit. Easy Peasy. Just be sure to communicate with the FIRST cast member at each attraction.

Jungle Cruise is another example. If the queue is going upstairs, they send me another way, but if it is just downstairs, they ask if I can do the step down on to the seats of the boat once you step in the boat. I can, with a bit of help, is what I reply. They do not have me wait for the accessible boat. Instead, they tell me to let the CM know when boarding the boat. Then, they whip out these little crates that make getting on the boat and into the seat just a few normal steps, not a large step down -- which I can't do -- and easy, I'm onboard and ready for our cruise.

Again, just communicate with the CMs. :)

- Dreams

If she has to wait or not depends on the ride. I assume she is going to walking or able to transfer from the wheelchair/EVC. The only ride they make me wait for the accessible vehicle is Space Mountain due to having to be on the "other side" to exit without stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter