Rides with a Cane

Will be using a scooter this trip but also a cane. I'm wondering where the cane goes when on a ride?
My husband took a foldable cane with him, and it would fold up and fit in his pocket. It worked great.
Before that, he just handed the cane to the ride attendant and it would be waiting when he got off the ride. Easy!

Thank you, that's what I thought. I can handle up to 15 minutes of standing and walking so that should work out. Never noticed anyone with a cane at the rides though and unsure about the process.

Thank you, that's what I thought. I can handle up to 15 minutes of standing and walking so that should work out. Never noticed anyone with a cane at the rides though and unsure about the process.
You are welcome. Yes, they check the cars and will take the cane and leave it in clear site for you when the ride is over. Have a wonderful trip:)

Guess you've never run into me at WDW. I can't take more than one or two steps without using both my canes (not just one). Since they both fold, I can usually keep them with me, even on Soarin (where they fit under the seat when folded). And since I'm so dependent on them, on the few times they take them away at boarding, the CM is always nice enough to bring them right over to me when the ride stops. It's probably because of my panicked look when they take them away when I get on the attraction!

I guess we never have run into you! Honestly I've never seen anyone with a cane or walker that I can recall. Of course when you aren't looking for something, you don't see it right in front of you. I'm glad the CM's are on top of things for those of us who can't. I don't have a folding cane and hate to purchase just for Disney. If we ever see anyone using 2 canes we'll be sure to ask if their Dis name is Simba's Mom. :earsgirl:

I guess we never have run into you! Honestly I've never seen anyone with a cane or walker that I can recall. Of course when you aren't looking for something, you don't see it right in front of you. I'm glad the CM's are on top of things for those of us who can't. I don't have a folding cane and hate to purchase just for Disney. If we ever see anyone using 2 canes we'll be sure to ask if their Dis name is Simba's Mom. :earsgirl:

Once you are aware of them, you will see all sorts of mobility devices and aides being used at WDW!

Folding canes are great - not only can you typically keep it on the ride with you, but if you need or want to use a scooter in the future, the folded cane will usually fit easily into the basket; one less thing to worry about. And if you decide to carry a backpack into the Parks, a folding cane will fit into most all backpacks (probably not one of the LoungeFly packs, but a standard size one for sure! 😉 )

I used my folding cane at home as much as at Disney, and I still keep it with me; it fits easily in the door pocket of my car, or in the basket of my Rollator or wheelchair. I’m still living for one that deploys like a Light Saber - that would be *so* cool!

Have a great trip!

Once you are aware of them, you will see all sorts of mobility devices and aides being used at WDW!

Folding canes are great - not only can you typically keep it on the ride with you, but if you need or want to use a scooter in the future, the folded cane will usually fit easily into the basket; one less thing to worry about. And if you decide to carry a backpack into the Parks, a folding cane will fit into most all backpacks (probably not one of the LoungeFly packs, but a standard size one for sure! 😉 )

I used my folding cane at home as much as at Disney, and I still keep it with me; it fits easily in the door pocket of my car, or in the basket of my Rollator or wheelchair. I’m still living for one that deploys like a Light Saber - that would be *so* cool!

Have a great trip!
Thank you! Now you've made me wonder if I should try a folding cane again. What brand did you find works well?

Last summer I was a few months post op following a total hip replacement and I used a scooter and a folding cane. Took the cane with me into the line and folded it up and it always fit nicely on the ride or in my bag - it was really easy and I was glad to have it. My advice though is to have a back up with you - on our last day I accidentally left my cane in world showcase when an unexpected downpour started and it was gone when I went back for it.

Thank you! Now you've made me wonder if I should try a folding cane again. What brand did you find works well?

Personally, I prefer the Switch Sticks brand. I use a loop of Velcro OneWrap (sold on Amazon and WalMart both in varying lengths and sizes) to hold mine closed; I also took the little wrist strap off a long time ago, as it just got in my way and irritated me.

When it comes to walking aides like canes, rollators, walkers, etc. I try to stick to name brands; some of the “alphabet soup” branded items on Amazon are fine - but some are not; they have cut corners on quality to get the price lower to compete in the marketplace. When it comes to my safety, I’m going to stick with a brand that is well-known for quality, even if it costs a bit more.

Funny story for those that travel with canes. My FIL traveled with a cane, and we all went on Haunted Mansion. We get off the ride and he says, "My cane fell out!" We were like, huh? Apparently in the graveyard scene when the car turns backwards, he had the cane on the outside of him and when the car jolted and turned around, the cane fell out!

But - hero cast members went up and FOUND HIS CANE for him! Crisis averted! lol

So be careful with your canes on some rides. :)

I use the hurry cane. I especially like it because it comes in purple. Not that purple's my favorite color, but you'll rarely see another one in purple. Means no one's likely to walk off with it accidentally.

I use the hurry cane. I especially like it because it comes in purple. Not that purple's my favorite color, but you'll rarely see another one in purple. Means no one's likely to walk off with it accidentally.
I hope we're not traveling at the same time, because I also have a purple Hurrycane! It's actually a popular option, I hate to tell you that.

I hope we're not traveling at the same time, because I also have a purple Hurrycane! It's actually a popular option, I hate to tell you that.
Really? I've never seen another purple one. But now I'm thinking I should have a new color.

Also, if by some rare chance you have to get evacuated from a ride, it’s best to have your cane with you depending on how many flights of stairs you have to go down/up.

Funny story for those that travel with canes. My FIL traveled with a cane, and we all went on Haunted Mansion. We get off the ride and he says, "My cane fell out!" We were like, huh? Apparently in the graveyard scene when the car turns backwards, he had the cane on the outside of him and when the car jolted and turned around, the cane fell out!

But - hero cast members went up and FOUND HIS CANE for him! Crisis averted! lol

So be careful with your canes on some rides. :)
One time when I was using crutches, I got to the load area at Space Mountain and asked the CM "Can I leave my crutches with you?" He deadpanned, "No, take them with you. They'll fly out of the sled and you can pick them up at the bottom." Then he smiled, said he was just kidding, and took the crutches, and we both had a good giggle.

Just be careful on rides where the restraint comes down at you like haunted mansion to lift the cane when it’s coming down then place it in car. It just gets tangled and I’ve been hit more times by my own cane than I care to admit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter