• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

We were staying at the Contemporary when Hurricane Charlie hit in 2004. Our experience:

1. Staff were wonderful despite the fact that they had families and homes in danger.

2. The best place to be in Orlando was on-site at WDW. We did not lose power when most of the rest of Orlando did. I assume Disney has major generators that kick in.

3. They showed a continuous reel of Dusney films on one of the hotel channels. This was great and kept our boys, then age 9, entertained until they fell asleep.

4. It was announced that there would be a free buffet dinner for hotel guests the evening of the coming hurricane. I told DH that was a scene I wanted no part of. So we purchased sandwiches, salads and sodas at the Quick Service in the afternoon and then hunkered down in our room. This was a very good decision. We later heard the buffet was a disorganized disaster with far more people than food and a great deal of anger and rudeness. I highly recommend what we did.

5. The next morning we drove around property after roads reopened. There were huge trees down everywhere but other than that WDW had fared well.

6. We flew out a day later when the airport opened. Orlando International had suffered a roof cave in, so it was only half open. We flew as originally planned as our reservation was for two days after the hurricane. We didn't have to change flights.

7. We needed to fill the rental car tank on the way to the airport. It was nearly impossible to find a functioning gas station. No power meant no operating pumps. The only one we found was the one near Downtown Disney. We waited in line over a hour to fill up. When we got to the airport the attendant told us, "Oh, we've waived the full tank requirement due to the hurricane!"

8. On the drive to the airport, we saw the extent of the damage. They were many homes with missing roofs. A lot of cleanup had already begun.

In sum, on property is the best place to ride out a hurricane, IMO. Stay safe everyone.

Here at Kidani Village in a 1 bed Savannah room until Tuesday morning. We were suppose to leave today at 5:20pm, but our flight was cancelled and we couldn't get another one. Used all of our park tickets so we are going to head to Disney Springs and/or the pool today depending on weather.

Just checked channel 31 and I don't believe that is correct. Currently on is Tron. Disney, yes, but I would think there would be a list of Disney movies to choose from if they are normally paid and meant to entertain small children for hours in a hotel room.

Here at Art of Animation, Cars suite, first floor facing the pool area. We got in Wednesday, and were in our booked cabin at Fort Wilderness for our first two nights. We got notice Thursday afternoon that the campgrounds would close at 2pm Saturday and to contact the front desk for relocation options. We went straight there and got our spot reserved. We moved over yesterday, and it was seamless. We were packing up our cabin when we got our room ready text for AoA, so we could come straight to the room. There was an info notice in the room here already when we got here, and we got another info sheet with updates last night under the door right before we went to bed. We went to the front desk yesterday afternoon and got extended through Wednesday. We were originally set to leave Monday. They extended at a 40% discount, and we updated our Magical Express to our new flight info. I got a cancellation email from Southwest yesterday for our Monday flight. I had been waiting to move it because I wasn't sure if I would need to move it one day or two. Tuesday wasn't an option, so I'm thinking they're not planning on being open, unless those flights just got snatched up super quickly. We have our same flight itinerary, just now two days later. We brought lots of snacks and a 24 pack of small bottled waters with us to begin with. I had an order delivered from garden grocer Thursday with cokes, capri suns, lunchables, bread, peanut butter, jelly, chips, and pudding cups. We picked up an extra two liter of Coke, a half gallon of milk, and some cereal yesterday, so we've got a pretty good variety of food. We're gonna try to hit Food & Wine festival for a while today, so we'll probably grab a few more things in the park to bring back. Y'all, I could not have asked for better from Disney. I feel like we have been so well taken care of, from the minute we landed, to transitioning from FW, to getting extended. Every single CM we've encountered has been so attentive and nice, and the updates come before I have even begun to wonder what's going on. I hope everyone else is staying safe, and if you're on property, having as easy a time as we have been having!

My 21 year old is at Pop with 2 friends. He evacuated from Daytona Beach where he goes to college. I feel like the worst mother for not being with my child. I know he's in good hands because he was in the DCP last year during Matthew.

I can only imagine how you feel but he's probably smarter than most for going to Disney during this time. Prayers to him and his friends.....hang in there.

At the Poly despite our best efforts to get a flight out of here earlier. Had to move rooms once already. Our first floor room was taking in water through the patio door during normal rain yesterday.

Well that's not good about the water coming in. Hopefully it's just an anomaly with that room and they get it fixed before the storm hits.

If the wind forecast for Orlando holds up will they bring guests from upper floors down to a ballroom or someplace in case the windows blow out? Or are they Hurricane-resistant?

I refuse and won't call the resort itself during this busy time, but does anyone know if you can get through directly to the rooms through the landline in the room?

We have been staying at the Poly since 09/02 and tried to get a early flight out as our departure date is 09/13. We are sticking it out. We have a lake view first floor room and have a phone message stating to bring in the patio furniture today. We just left for HS and noticed the trash cans at the Poly are zip tied to posts around the bust stop. Arrived at HS and the barrrier in the parking lot has the green screens rolled up and zip tied to the lower part of the fences. Just noticed the lights in the park have bags tied over the glass and lights down the blvd to tower of terror.

Last edited:
My wife and I are going to be riding Irma out at Coronado. We have extra water and sodas, a few extra sandwiches, (our fridge is full!) and we used the last of our snack credits on trail mixes, should be in good shape. The cast members here have been exceptional in giving us information. They will be doing good deliveries when possible and will have el centro open with games/activities and food. We are way out in Casitas 5, near the Ranchos, so will probably just stay in the room.

We're supposed to fly out today but Virgin America canceled the flight Thursday night and rebooked us for Wednesday. Disney extended our stay for a very reasonable price that I will later claim on the travel insurance I had the forethought to purchase. They even bumped up our park hopper tickets so we can go to the parks on Tuesday.

Overall, we feel secure but still unnerved. Being from the SF Bay, we are used to earthquakes not hurricanes.

I am at BC with my daughter who is starting the Disney college program. She just left for Traditions. She will be welcomed by Mickey today so told her to ask him to work his magic and steer Irma out to sea.

So far we have been told that all Club Level service will be business as usual during the storm.

I will head out to AK and then Epcot today while she is at Traditions and then we will both be back at BC for the duration. I will update as needed. Let's all stay safe!

I refuse and won't call the resort itself during this busy time, but does anyone know if you can get through directly to the rooms through the landline in the room?

All calls to resorts go to a call center, so you won't be bothering any staff at the resort. But yes, you can be connected to a guest room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter