• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

If you're in a Disney resort and see cast members whose nametags list a school instead if a city - please be super nice to them. They're probably in the Disney College Program, meaning in college or recent grads. These kids might never have been in a hurricane before and now they're working through one.

For Pop Peeps if you're trying to sneak off and get food before 3 please be advised there is no ketchup or dipping sauces available at all for the burgers, chicken and the fries. They are out with no trucks able to get in at this time. On the flip side it was hot and fresh and mustard only ain't that bad!!!

UPDATED @ 3:43 Ketchup has been replaced!!!

Last edited:

In other news, my magicband has stopped working as a room key (though charging went through just fine) so I'll be heading back down to the desk momentarily. (My travel companions' work, but technically our rooms were both extended under theirs, so that may be why.)

This made me wonder, what happens if the power goes out, do doors stop opening with magic bands? Or are there batteries in the lock too?

Correct, only service animals are allowed in the restaurants, shops and other locations in the hotels.

However, Disney can't ask for verification that the dog is a service animal, so it's really up to the guests to just be honest. Just roll with the punches and hopefully there won't be any issues.

I am an animal lover and I'm glad that the dogs are allowed to be here during the storm where it's safe.

With that said, I have seen many dogs that are clearly not service dogs all over in places I consider inappropriate. Two big dogs in B.V.G. shop last night, one at the pool while the owner was sitting in chairs poolside, one at Chef Mickey's this morning. If my dog was here I would keep it in my room, but hey, that's just me!

Btw Chef Mickey's was $15 for adults and $7.50 for child and the full buffet was available.

Note to self: if visiting in September, book a resort with an indoor, accessible lobby. We experienced Charley, and staying at Jambo made all the difference.

DH and I were discussing this. I think AKL, WL, YC/BC, BWI, and Contempo would be the best. However, all the glass at Contempo could be interesting. It's a shame that the main buildings at Poly and GF are only accessible by going outside.

At SSR. Just had bands of rain and wind. Temporary loss of Directv. It's calm now but there's a few very large tree limbs littering the golf course(my room is across the street from lbv golf course. Also, no housekeeping today.

DH and I were discussing this. I think AKL, WL, YC/BC, BWI, and Contempo would be the best. However, all the glass at Contempo could be interesting. It's a shame that the main buildings at Poly and GF are only accessible by going outside.
This is something I am now thinking about for my 2020 trip. Not sure I can afford to do one of those hotels though. I usually do a moderate.

At the Poly and we went down to the GCH this morning for the $15 breakfast buffet at 'Ohana with Stitch, Lilo, Hook, and Smee visiting the tables. It was really great. Then they alternated entertaining in the lobby, we had a dance party with Lilo & Stitch and saw Hook & Smee doing one later on. Several activity stations were set up for kids. Also saw Stitch leading a red carpet dog show. It's too bad the restaurants are closing so early here, but I understand why since the buildings are all separate from the lobby. I concur that other resorts would be better because of that, but the party in the GCH is very festive!

Wilderness Lodge is hosting a Halloween Dance Party this afternoon, to 'make up' for the cancelled MNSSHP. Costumes and non-costumes all welcome

DJYfYEuX0AE_mrW.jpg:large

I've brought my parents to disney this trip and my dad turns 62 tomorrow. Weren't planning on celebrating it here, but here we are! Don't want to ask to much of cast members just trying to keep things running during the storm, but would like to make his birthday special in some little way. Any ideas or suggestions from folks here??

If you celebrate a birthday at Disney do you get a call/voicemail from Mickey or another character? Maybe that would be something easy someone could do??

In the past I have received a voicemail in the room from a Disney character wishing me a happy birthday. We had told the CM on the phone when booking we were celebrating. However, if you can sneak to the lobby or make a phone call to the lobby without your dad hearing, I'm sure (if they still do this) that they can have the voicemail sent to your room phone.

And..... Just got an email that our Monday and our backup Tuesday flights home have been canceled. Officially freaking out a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter