***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

We are at BCV and for the most part everyone has been great and things are definitely smooth. However, we are traveling with our special needs grandson and haven't felt that "magic" others are feeling with the activities. For example, we took him downstairs to play and there were 3 cast members in the room and only 2 other kids. Our guy went to play hungry hippos with the 1 cm and another child, while the other cm was playing jenga with another child. As soon as the other child stopped playing hungry hippo, the cm left to sit in a chair. Ok, no big deal. I'll play with my guy. Then the 2 cm's begin playing jenga together with the other 2 kids until those kids leave. So far, no big deal. However, those 2 kids leave with their dad and this is what happens - 1 leaves the room, 1 remains in his chair, and the other goes off in a corner on her phone. I found this pretty rude so we ended up taking him to the main lobby. Is it really so difficult to treat a special needs child the same as other children? Sure he's different in some neurological ways, but he's still a kid who loves the attention of a Disney cm, especially playing games.

Anyway, not going to let it define the trip. The rest of the trip and this hurricane experience has been positive. Just need to work on that special needs training, Disney. I plan to write a letter and offer some suggestions.
Glad to hear that you are staying positive and have calmed down about it. This can be so infuriating sometimes. ok, putting on my therapist hat (both professional and as a parent who has had to deal with it myself), One thing I have found that works really well is to ask the person to join us in playing the activity. As my child got older, he was able to do this on his own, with my encouragement. I found that most times, the person would join in, especially if I played or remained close. Most times, they just didn't know how to act/be around a child who was outside the norm. Yes, it is frustrating but I chose to look at it like our opportunity to change perceptions and maybe next time that person would take the initiative to interact with someone else. It was also good for my son to work on his social skills.

That's been me all day with the pressure. I have sensitive ears myself. I've taken ibuprofen throughout the day to try and help (I've gotten a mild headache as well with the pressure adjustments). Even though the pollen level is lower I took my allergy medicine. I switched to a nasal one instead of an oral one and it really has helped the pressure in my ears that seems to have gotten pretty bad this year with my allergies.

I hope you're feeling better or can take something you think may help you!!
Common from storms like this. Try ibuprofen too. That helps my ears with allergy issues and pressure in them. Stay safe everyone.

Wonder if that changed with the storm headed for Orlando or if there are enough "natural" shelters on the savannas they were already running their 100 mph wind plans (probably the later imho as WDW is coming across as very prepared in general). I would NOT want to be in charge of rounding zebras up in a hurricane! Although I would never want to try to round Zebras up period...
Yeah, zebras aren't exactly known for their sunny dispositions.

Does putting a warm wash cloth behind your ears help? I sometimes get ear pain from allergies. I find this can help if I don't have my Debrox ear wax remover and squeezy ear bulb.
. Do you have any ibuprofen with you. I use that with allergy med and it works.

Not sure I could not tell from the image but knew it was a value from the outdoor rooms.

Appears to be All-Star Music after further looking.

Here's hoping those objects don't do any damage to cars or to the property *fingers crossed*

I'm on the second Floor in the Coronado. We were moved here from the campground. I swear it sounds like our window is going to blow out

we just had two beams fall down next to our first floor room windows at OKW...not sure which part of the structure they came from but I'm hoping the rest of the building decides to stay intact! everyone stay safe and take necessary precautions in the next few hours!

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have to say I visited several different resorts over many years with my nephew who I raised from a small child. He was on autism spectrum and had several additional disabilities as well. Other than difficulties with Disney buses since my nephew was not in a wheel chair but could not maintain his balance standing on a bus so we often had to wait for a few buses before I was able to get him a seat, we never had a negative experience with a CM. Sometimes a guest might try to distance themself from him but CMs always went over and beyond to engage him in conversation or acknowledge him in some way. Once when we stayed at WL Cl level a CM overheard him ask if there was root beer and later we found a six pack of root beer in our room!
I lost him last year very suddenly. I will be forever grateful to all of the CMs who made our trips to Disney so magical and given me so many wonderful memories. I guess what I am trying to say is that your experience is not typical of Disney CMs at all.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Your comment about the root beer hits home. That's our guy's favorite drink. Has to have his root beer everywhere we go!

With the exception of that one incident, the cm's have been amazing. Plus, he didn't really understand what was going on anyway - just engrossed in his own game. It was noticed by me because of my defensive, emotional response and only really understood by my husband tonight after he looked at the pictures he took.

We are having a blast here though and very happy with how prepared and courteous the staff has been overall.

we just had two beams fall down next to our first floor room windows at OKW...not sure which part of the structure they came from but I'm hoping the rest of the building decides to stay intact! everyone stay safe and take necessary precautions in the next few hours!
You may want to report that if they were large ones. It would be important that they know where damage like that is to get to it after the storm. Stay safe!

As long as you still have power, you could use a white noise app on your phone or tablet. There are lots of free ones. WhiteNoiseHD is what I use, couldn't travel without it!
what a great idea! duh, not sure why I never thought about that!

Oh my! you stay safe! We were supposed to be at OKW this weekend before I modified my reservation to arrive on tues instead. Thank goodness OKW has really large bathrooms with no windows to fit you all if need be

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter