***Riding out the hurricane at a Disney resort? Post your experiences here!***

I don't think there is anything to complain about.

The biggest thing I saw last hurricane was perceived price gouging for crappy box lunches and HUGE lines, people waiting hours and hours and hours. It seems like they are better prepared with better food, that they are staging distribution, and although they are charging for food they are discounting heavily vs. their regular rates for people stranded at resorts without choices, even at sit down restaurants... no one can remotely accuse them of gouging. They seemed to have learned from last time and made major improvements. Most people are grateful to be safe and fed!

I wasn't here for Matthew and didn't follow those threads too closely, but I'm here now and I noticed messages popping up repeatedly on the MDE app on Saturday that you were encouraged to eat and get supplies before heading back to the resort. After hearing of the long lines last year, I packed a lot of food in our bags and picked up more when we got here on Friday. I heard from a lot of people that they had done the same.

We ate lunch at The Wave today. $15/per person for the buffet and that included a drink. I definitely can't complain about that. I spent that much at Contempo Cafe on Friday getting a flatbread and drink, and that wasn't nearly as tasty.

I don't think there is anything to complain about.

The biggest thing I saw last hurricane was perceived price gouging for crappy box lunches and HUGE lines, people waiting hours and hours and hours. It seems like they are better prepared with better food, that they are staging distribution, and although they are charging for food they are discounting heavily vs. their regular rates for people stranded at resorts without choices, even at sit down restaurants... no one can remotely accuse them of gouging. They seemed to have learned from last time and made major improvements. Most people are grateful to be safe and fed!
Yeah you'll get no complaints from us. From the Resort TV channel giving us updates to the voicemail giving us updates to the wonderful CMs and everything.

I will say we were never handed/given/notifed at All-Star Sports a designated time for the food boxes (like I saw pictures for other resorts). We had the notice on our table vaguely talking about it when we first arrived but never had anything after that. We were at MK when they were starting to hand them out inside the lobby at 5pm. We got back around 9:30pm and my husband just walked right up and got 4 food boxes (2 for each of us so we would have 1 for each day we expected to be holed up in the room). They still had food boxes to purchase on Sunday morning when we got breakfast.

Food court was quite busy today around 2:30pm and we had 1 pool open but I don't blame people for wanting to get out and about.

Anyone here to go to AK DVC Moonlight Magic Wednesday night?

If I can get there, and they have it, I'm going (I'm scheduled to fly in Wed mid day). Waiting & watching to hear about flights & MCO, and confirmation the event is happening (I'm mostly assuming it will, since they are opening the parks tomorrow)

I wasn't here for Matthew and didn't follow those threads too closely, but I'm here now and I noticed messages popping up repeatedly on the MDE app on Saturday that you were encouraged to eat and get supplies before heading back to the resort. After hearing of the long lines last year, I packed a lot of food in our bags and picked up more when we got here on Friday. I heard from a lot of people that they had done the same.

We ate lunch at The Wave today. $15/per person for the buffet and that included a drink. I definitely can't complain about that. I spent that much at Contempo Cafe on Friday getting a flatbread and drink, and that wasn't nearly as tasty.
We packed a suitcase with some non-perishable items in anticipation of being in our rooms for likely 2 days. We already had an ADR for Skipper Canteen at 5:50 pre-planned before all this Irma mess on Saturday so that helped us get a full stomach.

just went on jet blue.com and I saw a flight that has left from boston to Orlando and a couple of connecting flights from boston to jfk that have arrived. is there people on these planes or are they just getting planes and crews ready for when mco reopens? just trying to remain optimistic and trying to get some reassurance that my flight will take off

this on the MCO board expected to open tomorrow at 12
Due to WX/HURRICANE EXC 4 HOUR PPR, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closed as of Sep 09 at 05:58 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 12 at 12:00 PM EDT.

just went on jet blue.com and I saw a flight that has left from boston to Orlando and a couple of connecting flights from boston to jfk that have arrived. is there people on these planes or are they just getting planes and crews ready for when mco reopens? just trying to remain optimistic and trying to get some reassurance that my flight will take off

I just read this.
Due to WX/HURRICANE EXC 4 HOUR PPR, the Orlando International Airport (MCO) was closed as of Sep 09 at 05:58 PM EDT. The date/time when the airport is expected to reopen is Sep 12 at 12:00 PM EDT.

We are planning on driving down from Chicago on Friday September 22nd. We are spending the night in Tennessee and driving straight to WDW on Saturday the 23rd. I am going with my gut and keeping my plans as is. I am hoping the gas situation will be situated by then and most of the major roadways back to normal at least in Georgia and northern to central Florida. I honestly feel good about going not just because it is vacation but also because Florida will need money and I know we spend a lot of money while we are there; not just in Disney but in surrounding areas too.
I think you will be fine. The gas situation is already better in many areas. But the 22nd, everything will be back to normal
ETA: Just checked on Jose, which was supposed to go east way off shore. Not it looks like it might do a spiral and head back to the coast. Keep and eye on it.

Any updates from WL? Or FW? I know guests were evacuated from FW, but I assume some Managers/CM's were still there.
We are heading down tomorrow to spend 2 days and will be staying at WL. IF no one has posted by then, I will update.

So glad that everyone's safe and there doesn't appear to be an major damage reported. Disney CMs are the best! We're scheduled to drive through the night tonight (from Raleigh) and check in at the WL tomorrow. So far, the weather and roads on our route look okay, but we'll have to reassess this afternoon/evening.
Please update as you travel through SC and GA (safely, of course, if you have another person to post). We are driving down 95 tomorrow morning. I am a little worried by all the flooding the cost is getting but hoping it is not reaching the highway. We had a 2 hour detour in lower NC last year coming back after Matthew. Devastating to see how many homes were under water.

So now I get the ask the fateful question do I head on down Friday from Nashville TN. We are driving down. I know we have to wait for more official word but I a group of exited and nervous adults itching for news.
I think by Friday, you will be fine. Keep an eye on the highway delays and closures but I haven't heard any major highway issues yet in the upper FL vicinity. Not sure about GA/TN as they are still going through the storm

we are scheduled to fly out of Memphis on the 18th, we believe that wdw will be up and running but are now afraid of hurricane jose' because from seeing the tracks for Irma I no longer trust the noaa or anyone else at predicting where a hurricane will go.
honestly, I was about to post that you should be ok but I double checked Jose and now it is projecting to do this really weird spiral back to the coast line! oh no! I would keep a close eye on this one (no pun intended). It looks like it just may hit anywhere in the southern coast

View attachment 268877 I just saw this posted on FB. I guess no signature is in my future this evening. (I'm a rule follower)
Anyone here to go to AK DVC Moonlight Magic Wednesday night?
If I can get there, and they have it, I'm going (I'm scheduled to fly in Wed mid day). Waiting & watching to hear about flights & MCO, and confirmation the event is happening (I'm mostly assuming it will, since they are opening the parks tomorrow)
This makes me happy to see that they are going to open AK tomorrow. That means the DVC moonlight magic should take place on Wednesday. And I am thinking it will be even less crowded.

Update from All Star Sports. Last night at dinner they had pepperoni and cheese pizzas for something like $15, a pasta meal with chicken, broccoli and a breadstick ( or sub meatballs) for $12 and some kind of bagged sandwich meal. This morning for breakfast they had grab and go stiff, the bagged sandwich meals and a breakfast platter (a Mickey waffle, eggs, potato, sausage and bacon for $12). They had plenty of stock of everything and it was busy in the food court, but not crazy. We saw Pluto, Goofy and Chip and Dale at breakfast. A CM told me they will be open at least until noon.

When we were on our way back to the room, they are putting away the chairs and tables around the pool with lifeguards in uniform standing at their normal posts around the pool. It seemed weird, but I guess it was maybe in case a CM moving the pool furniture fell in?

These are repositioning flights with equipment and crew. You can tell by the flight number......Flight 8007 from BOS - MCO. Flight 8003 from JFK - MCO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter