Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question- I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one.

It will be my husband, 2 kids and myself going in about a month. Should my husband and I both try for a BG? If so can we just use either one??

Thanks!!!
You can both try on your phones, you will each need to have your entire parties tickets (or APs) scanned in to both logins on the apps. You can also use one login on both phones.
Dina is of course correct and, to be clear, you need to have all your park tickets linked into your account and, if your DH uses a separate acount, into his. Or he can login to your same account. Both approaches work.

The key thing is that as soon as a BG is obtained for a certain group of tickets, they are locked into a BG and cannot get another.

What this means practically is that it is not only OK, but highly recommended, for everyone in your group to attempt to get a BG for your group. That increases your odds as it is not clear whose phone will be the lucky one to get the BG that day.

:wizard:

I feel like DHS Beats Disneyland in many ways. Lol

They get everyone in the park before opening and they are more efficient in loading boarding groups. I have seen them often go through over 100 groups. If i had a choice I would go to DHS over Disneyland any day to get on the new ride. They do have an advantage though. They have been open longer.
As much as I love DLR, I have to agree. I was at Pandora (AK) on opening day and they just nailed the entire process.

How many of you think this rope drop morning boarding group allocation is NOT a sustainable solution to allocate spots for riding ROTR?

I realize it's not a permanent solution, but most think it will be in place for months. It's been a week and already we've seen loads of disappointed and angry guests. EVen those that came prepared.

Today's late rope drop was the perfect example of a total disaster. They simply can't manage early morning crowds like that for weeks on end. I think it's only going to get worse! Especially when we get to March and all the spring break vacations.

I personally feel an advance reservation system is more fair. You get ONE reservation per ticket, hopper pass or say one a month for AP holders & multi- ticket holders (limited to riding once a month means EVERYONE should be able to get a shot at the ride). You could cancel your reservation if you can't make your reserved boarding group, and be put on the back up for the same day. In addition, there would only be 50% advance reservations (for early day BG) and then in park boarding group assignments at a set time in the afternoon for later day rides. This completely eliminates the morning crowds and line jumping for panicked guests. It also achieves a level of fairness for guests that may not be as tech savvy, or have older phones - or no data plans (which is very common for out of country visitors). I'm from Canada and I'm going to have to upgrade my phone plan JUST to do THIS!!!

I've been reading this thread for a day and I'm SUPER stressed out about visiting GE because of the DESPERATE NEED for people to visit it and get onto ROTF! There's just gotta be a better way...

Last edited:

How many of you think this rope drop morning boarding group allocation is NOT a sustainable solution to allocate spots for riding ROTR?

I realize it's not a permanent solution, but most think it will be in place for months. It's been a week and already we've seen loads of disappointed and angry guests. EVen those that came prepared.

Today's late rope drop was the perfect example of a total disaster. They simply can't manage early morning crowds like that for weeks on end. I think it's only going to get worse! Especially when we get to March and all the spring break vacations.

I personally feel an advance reservation system is more fair. You get ONE reservation per hopper pass or say one a month for AP holders (riding once means EVERYONE should be able to get a shot). You could cancel your reservation if you can't make your reserved boarding group, and be put on the back up for the same day. In addition, there would only be 50% advance reservations (for early day BG) and then in park boarding group assignments at a set time in the afternoon for later day rides. This completely eliminates the morning crowds and line jumping for panicked guests. It also achieves a level of fairness for guests that may not be as tech savvy, or have older phones - or no data plans (which is very common for out of country visitors). I'm from Canada and I'm going to have to upgrade my phone plan JUST to do THIS!!!

I've been reading this thread for a day and I'm SUPER stressed out about visiting GE because of the DESPERATE NEED for people to visit it and get onto ROTF! There's just gotta be a better way...
There are almost 3000 posts in this thread. :crazy2: LOL I have read them all but many have not because it takes so much time. I think every possibly different approach DIsney could have taken with ROTR, or might want to switch to, has been discussed.

Without rehashing those, I think we all agree that there is no single solution that will make everyone happy. Most seem to think the current BG system is the least unfair.

It seems until today Disney had the queue system outside the turnstiles under control before park opening. And then for whatever reason, they messed it up today. It would seem they know what to do, but did not follow that today. As long as they continue to manage the turnstile queues beore park opening, the current system works. And is sustainable until enough APs and local SoCal folks have made their way through and the early morning stress will die down.

Question- I can't seem to find a clear answer on this one.

It will be my husband, 2 kids and myself going in about a month. Should my husband and I both try for a BG? If so can we just use either one??

Thanks!!!
The more phones you try on the better your odds (not sure if there is an advantage of several people logging into one account or people using different accounts with linked tickets—seems that more people here do the former rather than the latter). Whichever way you access the system, once one of you gets in & selects a BG for all of you, everybody else will get messages upon trying to select one that there’s already a BG associated with the ticket & you can’t get another.

We entered the parks for rope drop this past Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. We were using 3-day tickets and they never took our photos during that early morning entry. When we re-entered last night around 6:30, they took our photos for those tickets. It was our experience that they were trying to get guests through the turnstiles as quickly and efficiently as possible. It sounds like today didn’t go as smoothly as it has been which is unfortunate.

Okay update for today
710 arrive harbor security...all open
715 through to esplanade...20 ft away from dca
730 gates open. Side gates open on harbor side too...watch for this in the future...stay right like in WDW?
742. Through the gates.... Scoped out sites yesterday. T-Mobile tower sites best in downtown Disney. Stayed just inside the gates and clear site to dd.
800. Group 13.!!! T-Mobile Android. Wife got to groups too on her iPhone 11 but I beat her by fraction

I personally feel an advance reservation system is more fair. You get ONE reservation per ticket, hopper pass or say one a month for AP holders & multi- ticket holders (limited to riding once a month means EVERYONE should be able to get a shot at the ride). You could cancel your reservation if you can't make your reserved boarding group, and be put on the back up for the same day. In addition, there would only be 50% advance reservations (for early day BG) and then in park boarding group assignments at a set time in the afternoon for later day rides. This completely eliminates the morning crowds and line jumping for panicked guests. It also achieves a level of fairness for guests that may not be as tech savvy, or have older phones - or no data plans (which is very common for out of country visitors). I'm from Canada and I'm going to have to upgrade my phone plan JUST to do THIS!!!

Wouldn’t an advance reservation system essentially mean sneakily introducing Disneyworld’s FP+ system to DL? I sincerely doubt that this would be an improvement. Wouldn’t you just take a limited resource that a lot of people trying to access, resulting in happy success by some & disappointment for others, and move that same cruel selection process from in the park to the person’s home (60 days in advance or whenever that deadline would be)? The advantage would be that other guests in the parks won’t have to see the tears, the disadvantage that far more people (not just those hardy and determined enough to come early) would compete (from home) for the same number of slots.

The only improvement I can see would be in a combination of (a) over time working out the current technical issues so that more people get to ride and (b) hoping that the new Marvel-land in California Adventure will open on time and will draw some of the crowds this summer (which of course would only relax the pressure on Ride of the Resistance if it would by then have switched to FP/single rider/standby—if it still uses BGs or any kind of random access advance reservation at that time, the same number of people would still compete for the same number of spaces and those who succeed in getting a ride reservation would simply spend their time waiting to get on in CA).

There are other threads open to discuss this. Please.

Finally created an account after lurking since the 17th to get insights. Going with my wife on the 15th and am super nervous that it’s going to be even more insane than the usual Saturday insanity. But at least I now have a strategy thanks to the info here.

I created an account to add to what causes success vs. failure. I doubt any recent phone would struggle/be the reason the system fails you. Likewise 2-3 mbps should be more than sufficient under regular conditions. The issue is tower congestion/disney’s server load.

For tower congestion. Think of it like the parking line. Sometimes it’s fine because they have more booths open than cars flowing through, but when it backs up it’s a disaster and you have to wait your turn essentially. That’s why it hangs between taps and why you are better off at tower B with 50 people than tower A with 5000 even if the speed at tower A is the same.

You can both try on your phones, you will each need to have your entire parties tickets scanned in to both logins on the apps. You can also use one login on both phones.

even though you said that there probably won't be boarding groups in october, i was already trying to figure out how we (you and i) would be able to log in together to be in a boarding group together. Nothing like advance planning!! :)

I would scan your ticket media into my account and vice versa.

this is great! this is giving me the opportunity to learn about DL (and the DL app)...
those of us WDW mavens feel totally adrift when it comes to what happens in anaheim!!

Last edited:
Finally created an account after lurking since the 17th to get insights. Going with my wife on the 15th and am super nervous that it’s going to be even more insane than the usual Saturday insanity. But at least I now have a strategy thanks to the info here.
:welcome:

i just uploaded the DL app on my phone.
And i see that ROTR is open and groups 43-61 are now boarding..
cool..
(a whole new world)

It seems until today Disney had the queue system outside the turnstiles under control before park opening. And then for whatever reason, they messed it up today. It would seem they know what to do, but did not follow that today. As long as they continue to manage the turnstile queues beore park opening, the current system works.

Agree. Disney has made it apparent that they know how to manage the entry queues. It seems fair to assume that there was a reason they didn’t open the turnstiles as early this morning and I’m sure thy were working hard to open them as soon as they could. The park is a hive of activity in the short hours between when it closes and reopens the next day (or even the same day when Main Steet is open until 1am). They also do private events like weddings etc sometimes before park open, though I doubt that was the case this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter