• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rise of the Resistance BOARDING GROUPS Superthread Part 1 *No Ride Spoilers Please* *PLEASE READ POSTS 1-4*

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quick tangent from the linking topic ... we are going in March, and we will have 5-day parkhoppers with MaxPass (from GetAwayToday). My DW, DD14, and I have phones with the DL app. Should they sign in to the app on their phones with my account credentials, or create their own accounts? And how does that impact getting RotR boarding groups? Thank you!

They can sign in with your account, as long as all the tickets are scanned into your account. The more phones are trying to join a boarding group, the greater your chances are to get one! This is the simplest method. Also, DD14 can mobile order from the account. Depending on your trust levels with your DD, this could be totally convenient or wreck a well planned budget! :D

The BG process would work also if they each had their own DL account, just make sure they scan each other's ticket into their account. Others prefer to use a separate accounts since you can unlink tickets if someone from the party won't be at the park that day or wont' be attempting to ride ROTR. This saves precious seconds when going through the process.

I've only been to DL once - where is the flagpole exactly, on main street?

Yes. Right in front of the train station. A lot of people there but most seemed to be successful. We found the speed yesterday to be significantly better on the back side in between the train station and turnstiles. It's not as practical if you are in a hurry to get to a specific ride. But we learned from our experience on Tuesday that our plan for the day would depend on what our boarding group was and that would dictate which park to start at. So being by the exit made it easier to get over to DCA quicker if we got a higher boarding group.

This is pretty much why we decided not to try to ride for a while, at least until the initial insanity dies down and Disney comes up with some less "Darwinian" options for getting on the ride. Just not worth the health risks or consequences to try to ride one (awesome) ride which we might not even get on (e.g. might not get a BG, ride might break down and we don't get on, ride breaks down and we get held hostage in line and my health won't stand however many hours of waiting, etc.). For now, I'll enjoy the vicarious adventures of others in this thread.

Same here! I live 5 miles from the parks and it's killing me to not go try to get BGs, but I can't stand for very long without pain, so getting to the turnstiles an hour (or more) before park opening doesn't work for me. And the thought of being stuck in the line for hours, possibly without seating... :scared: :crazy2: So I wait and read other people's stories, hoping to ride it eventually.

Please confirm.
Say that both parks open at 8am and there is Early Entry at California Adventure on the same day.

Can I attend the Early Entry at California Adventure, leave at 730am and enter Disneyland before 8am to get the Boarding Group Pass?

So does the Thursday EMH theory hold true in that there are just "that" many more people at DL on a Thursday vs. Wednesday, etc?
Yes. A day with MM/EMH has many more people in the park at park open than a day without it. The speed with which BG/backups disappear is simply a function of how many people are in the park at that point. The day they lasted 45 minutes just means it took that long for enough people to enter the park to claim them all.

Please confirm.
Say that both parks open at 8am and there is Early Entry at California Adventure on the same day.

Can I attend the Early Entry at California Adventure, leave at 730am and enter Disneyland before 8am to get the Boarding Group Pass?
Yes, unless they're very backed up at the DL entrance for some reason. That only seems to have happened once since ROTR opened.

Approaching noon and we're limping along at about 2/3 the usual rate. We'll see how the afternoon proceeds. Makes me wonder if perhaps they are testing a lower rate to see if giving certain parts of the attraction longer to "cool down" between triggers improves their longevity between breakdowns.

We just got back last night from the parks. We were there Monday - Wednesday and this was our experience.

We stayed at the DLH. You would think 9 am was a nice late start but by the time we got up and head breakfast, it was still a struggle. Fortunately, security lines are not too bad there. We left at 8:30. Got to turnstiles around 8:40 and in the park at 8:50. They are not taking photos so people were getting through pretty quick. We went by the flagpole. Lots of people in there just waiting. Did a speed test and it was good so we stayed. That day we were all successful getting the red button as soon as the time switched. DS20 finally made good use of his many many wasted hours on his phone and secured group 16. We are called up by 10 am. Line was a little slow but we kept moving and it was great!

Tuesday we had MM at DL but didn't make it into the park any earlier. We checked into the monorail and rode it in and got there around 8:50. We decided to try from Fantasyland to try to get back to Galaxy's Edge and ride MFSR. Bad idea. The speed test was much slower where we were standing. We were by Small World which was another mistake. We didn't have much time to move so we went with it. None of us could get the red button once the time changed. I heard a few cheers around us but not near as many as we heard at the flag pole. DS20 finally got through with backup group 81. That was disappointing but they moved at a pretty good clip all day long so we were optimistic. Of course, until we got there to ride and it was down. Waited over an hour and finally decided to head back to the hotel. Stopped at the ice cream shop on Main Street and saw that it opened back up. Walked back there again and it was down again. A lot less people were waiting around at that point. It was cold and we had another day ahead of us so we decided to leave. We were back at the hotel by the time it opened agin (6:30 ish). We decided it was not worth the journey back. (we went back there 5 times that day!). They ended up getting up to group 120 I think. I assume because it was cold and kept breaking down so people just gave up and left.

Yesterday we left the hotel at 8:35. We got into the park around 8:50 again. Speed test not as good by the flag pole so we walked back by the entrance (not outside of the park) and it was quite a lot higher there. I think 80 vs. 25. We waited with lots of other people and DS20 got group 16 (they started with group 8 so that was equivalent to to group 9). I could not get the red button to load before he secured the pass. So it questions the theory of closing everything out and restarting. I did all of that and it didn't work. He probably hasn't closed his apps out since he got the phone! Anyway, they started with group 8 and we were called up around 10:00 again. The line moved at about the same pace. Probably 45 minutes to get through.

Overall 2 out of 3 days were a success. The second day was frustrating on a number of levels. Since we did not get there early enough to do anything for EMH, we really should have just scanned or tickets at the monorail, exited and walked down to the esplanade. Once we secured our boarding passes, we would have decided which park to go to based on our expected return time. With 81, it was a waste to stay at DL because it was already very crowded. And the line for MFSR was 45 minutes as soon as the park opened because there were tons of people already waiting. So we weren't the only people with that idea. I also think we would have got better than group 81 had we waited up towards the front where we know the connection speeds are better (at least for us). And it would have been a much more efficient use of our time because it was a long walk from Galaxy's Edge to TSMM!

FWIW, we are AT&T. DS20 used an iPhone XR and got our Boarding Passes all 3 days. I have an XS, DH has an X and DS18 has a 7.

A few other notes. I am not sure this was ever mentioned but there was a lot of speculation/discussion as to why they close the ride early. It's because they need to give people time to return to get on the ride. He said they would call the last group at 7:45 to give them time to get back before the park closes at 9:00. Not sure why I never thought about that but it certainly makes sense. And they do not notify you when the ride is down. it says Open but you walk back there to find it closed. He said keep checking to see when they call the next boarding group because that would indicate it opened back up. Also, I screenshot all of our passes because they were expired by the time they reopened the ride but it really wasn't necessary. You could still open them even after the time expired and we were told that they would still honor them because they knew the ride had been closed. Not that the screenshots hurt. But you can still access the passes which I think is good to know. The only people who were actually issued return passes were those who were already on the ride. They were told they would enter through a different line once the ride opened back up so they would't have to go through the VERY long general line. And I did not receive a notification that our boarding pass had been called. I only knew because I kept checking the app. I think my son received the notice. Presumably because he was the one who go the passes? It wasn't a big deal. I imagine most people check constantly just to see how close they are. Just don't rely on the push notification.

I know that there were frustrated people who didn't know what to do but most seemed to take it in stride because they had multiple days at the park. We were happy to share info. with anyone we spoke to about how to link tickets, do the speed test and be ready because they are consistently gone in the first minute. One lady I spoke with had 7 people in her party (all friends) and they didn't know anything about linking tickets. They would have tried the next day and possibly got 7 different groups because they didn't know to do it all together. Or they wouldn't have got one at all because they were trying to figure out how to get them together. So I was glad I could help her and I hope they were successful. I honestly would have been very ill prepared if I didn't spend so much time reading this thread so I am thankful for everyone sharing their experiences. I hope my experience will help someone else!!

It might be on here somewhere but how do you speed test your phone? I have a pixel 3 on Verizon if it matters

I'll be there tomorrow morning where they open at 8am. I'm staying at the DLH. What's the latest time I should be in the line to enter? Also, I've read tons of the posts on where to stand when trying for a BG and what phone service people have, but I haven't seen Sprint come up. Does anyone know where's a good place for Sprint? I'm on an iphone XR. Thanks everyone!

I got boarding group 23 with an iPhone 6s over by the teacups! Hope the timing works for us as we have a toddler’s schedule to work around...
Update: we were called about 10:45, got in line around 11:05, line went slowwwwwly but we were off by 12:05. Amazing ride! My husband and my jaws were dropped the whole time. I’m so happy we got to ride; our trip had been off to a not great start and that made things so much better!

Approaching noon and we're limping along at about 2/3 the usual rate. We'll see how the afternoon proceeds. Makes me wonder if perhaps they are testing a lower rate to see if giving certain parts of the attraction longer to "cool down" between triggers improves their longevity between breakdowns.
Now past 1pm they have gotten their mojo back...for most of the hour they were boarding a group every 5 minutes, then decided to kick it up a notch and call 8 groups in 20 minutes and push past 50 groups. It'll be interesting to see how long they keep this up.

how do you test the speed on an iphone?
i'm just familiar with looking at how many bars i have...is there something else i should be doing?

Update: we were called about 10:45, got in line around 11:05, line went slowwwwwly but we were off by 12:05. Amazing ride! My husband and my jaws were dropped the whole time. I’m so happy we got to ride; our trip had been off to a not great start and that made things so much better!
Did you do rider swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter