River Country Rumor

MJS

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know if the rumor about River Country is true? Will it be closed all of 2002?

I would say that its too early to tell, River County is now closed from Sept 2001 to March 2002 if it does not reopen for Spring Break and the Summer Season then it just might be true.

I had read a rumor last year on it closing, and being turned into a pool area for FW campgrounds! Guess it might be true now?!

With other great water parks to choose from, would it be that much of a disappointment for River Country to close? Disney has two water parks, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon, which go far beyond what River Country ever dreamed of offering, so I personally would not be bothered by the closing of River Country since the availability of these two water parks has rendered River Country useless IMHO.

Panthius

I guess the location is pretty convenient if you are at ft. wilderness, wilderness lodge, or cont. Really the polly or gf for that matter, but especially the three resorts on bay lake. You can boat over and no bus.

DR

A while back there was a rumor that River Country was going to be used a a water park for DVC. The concern was there are too many DVC units to continue to allow pool hooping.

I had heard from a 'ranger' at WL a few years back that it would be shared by VWL, WL, and the campground.

Now THAT is an excellent idea. :D

River Country is always closed for a short time for rehabs like the other water parks at WDW. There was a rumor flying around for a short time that since River Country is so small compared to the other WDW water parks that they were just going to make it the Fort Wilderness swimming area and build another water park but that seems to have fallen through.

Odd as it may seem, we enjoy visiting River Country. We don't do the big slides and I just love the water in the big pool. I also liked the lower cost particularly with younger children who are too timid to go on the big slides. If it is turned into a pool for FW and WL, that will definitely motivate me to stay at one of these resorts!

River Country is always closed for a short time for rehabs like the other water parks at WDW. There was a rumor flying around for a short time that since River Country is so small compared to the other WDW water parks that they were just going to make it the Fort Wilderness swimming area and build another water park but that seems to have fallen through.

Yea, they do close, but not for 7 months! They usualy close in December and reopen in January. I think that a campground and Wilderness Lodge idea is REALLY GOOD! Not only does this reduce traffic to the other swimming pools (especially the campground, heard that it fills up and then some by 11 AM). Plus, River Country is duplicated in the other water parks too.

The only down side is that was the only *quiet* water park. Oh, well. For the sake of the company...

Personally, we like River Country, too. It's more compact and you can keep an eye on everyone from one spot. We also really enjoy the "whitewater" tube ride. It's a lot of fun for all of us. The water slides are a bit tamer, too. Don't get me wrong, we love Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon. But, River Country is a bit tamer, when you looking for a more relaxed day. I would hate to see if disappear.

Thanks for all of the responses! I hope that it is open in the spring. We have a toddler, and I think she will love River Country and FW.

My family and I have never visited the water parks in the 11 years that we have gone down to WDW. We spend most of the time at the theme parks and the rest of the time at the resort hotels and Downtown Disney. We never seem to have time or the desire to visit them. Maybe when I go down by myself one time, I'll check them out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter