• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

River of Lights dining package worth it for good viewing?

edk35

DIS Veteran
Did you like the seating area/viewing? How far in advance did you still need to arrive?

I think AK will become more congested after Pandora opens. So, a FP or ADR that includes ROL will serve you well until the new DHS lands open and divert the crowds. I think the second show of ROL will be worth a FP in the beginning, which isn't a common sentiment. Plenty of people will want to go SOMEWHERE after looking at the Pandora crowds, and attempt to wait them out until later during EMH.

We didn't feel there was enough value in the dining package to choose it over a FP. Seating isn't "better" for either. Arriving early with either seems to be more important than deciding between the two.

It seems that 80%+ of the theatre at ROL is devoted to FP+/Dining Package. Standby requires a pretty significant wait time, and I don't expect it to be easily obtained as a 4th FP+, which means you tie up a FP+ all day on your initial 3.

I think the dining package is a good idea just because then you can pre-book 3 "real" FP+ and try to get a 4th or further afterwards, and still be assured of ROL seating.

Last I read there was plenty of stand by seating for RoL in the 2nd show, as the entire Dinoland side is stand by (dining packages are only for first show). However, how this will change once Pandora opens, no one knows.

Picking up on this old thread I found.
I have FP for 1st show and Tusker dining package for 2nd show.

Which offers better seating?

I'm tempted to do the dining package because I can get rid of the FP and push up the timing so I can get more FP after the use of the first 3

Picking up on this old thread I found.
I have FP for 1st show and Tusker dining package for 2nd show.

QUESTION:
If you have a FREE Fast Pass, why pay an addiitonal $9 per person for the Tusker Package ?
There is zero difference in the show(s).

QUESTION:
If you have a FREE Fast Pass, why pay an addiitonal $9 per person for the Tusker Package ?

Probably because they’re on the dining plan so cost isn’t relevant?

QUESTION:

Good Question - I have been just snagging things as they come along and haven't had the chance to price out yet. Ok - so cost would be $27 more. (i'm not on dining) The question then becomes am I willing to pay $27 more to:
1. Free up the FP
2. Get my potentially 4th or 5th SDFPs by using up my 3 earlier in the day

back to my original question - is the viewing area better for dining or FP? Or are they both the same.

back to my original question - is the viewing area better for dining or FP? Or are they both the same.

Some of the FP area is the same view, just on the opposite side of the main waterway the lotus flowers come in. Some of the FP area extends on the side more, away from the main waterway. The theater itself is very small. Robo has a map of the seating area on this thread:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/rivers-of-light-fp.3596654/

We did the dinging package in May and I liked our seats. If you look at Robo's map, we sat in section "K"

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me if the only places you can view this are from the FP or dining areas? Is this easy to view from other areas in the park and if so which ones would be the best if we could stake them out early enough? Thanks!!

Can someone explain to me if the only places you can view this are from the FP or dining areas? Is this easy to view from other areas in the park and if so which ones would be the best if we could stake them out early enough? Thanks!!
There is a stand by area too for seating. The only place to view the show really is in the arena seating, but I have seen people standing against the walls near the expedition Everest side but I doubt they had anywhere near a good view.

There is a stand by area too for seating. The only place to view the show really is in the arena seating, but I have seen people standing against the walls near the expedition Everest side but I doubt they had anywhere near a good view.
Thank you!! I had a feeling it was something like that and not like illuminations where you can stand around entire lagoon. That helps me plan!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter