Rivers of Light....

Hmmm. We only have bandwidth for 3 evening shows (kids will get really really tired). HEA is a must do and since we’ve only seen parts of Illuminations it’s a must do also. I gave the kids the choice of ROL or Star Wars. Much to my surprise they chose ROL (I cut them out of the will). I’m a little worried now that they won’t like it. Although they like the water parade so lack of a story apparently isn’t too big an issue for them.

Anyone have kids in the 5-9 age range who liked it?

I really enjoyed RoL for what it is. I think it is visually stunning, calming, and unites nature and the animals on the planet. I did think the seats were uncomfortable and was glad it is 15 minutes mostly because of the seats. My daughter didn’t like it at all, she said it was boring.

I enjoyed seeing Rivers of Light last year, in particular, I thought the music was terrific. The viewing area is great too.

That said, I’m visiting AK again this year and my family has said they aren’t interested in seeing it again.

There's also shadow images in the tree line across the pond and if I remember right the tree of life changes color or has something going on as well.
View attachment 295342
This was the one and only interesting bit, in my opinion.

I thought the show was visually stunning...however, I couldn't get past the seating to really enjoy the show. It was June and it was muggy and we were WEDGED in those seats. Like I literally had to make sure my knees did not run into the back of the person in front of me. I have no idea why the seats are so close together like that.
Yes. This. Insanely tight seating!

Hmmm. We only have bandwidth for 3 evening shows (kids will get really really tired). HEA is a must do and since we’ve only seen parts of Illuminations it’s a must do also. I gave the kids the choice of ROL or Star Wars. Much to my surprise they chose ROL (I cut them out of the will). I’m a little worried now that they won’t like it. Although they like the water parade so lack of a story apparently isn’t too big an issue for them.

We saw it last year when my kids were 7 and 10. 7 year old hated it. 10 year old liked it. BUT, they both RAVED about SWAGS. And none of us are even big Star Wars fans. (Good thing I’m not in your will so you don’t have to cut me out of it!!) So, if it were me, and if it fits your schedule, I’d swap ROL out for SWAGS.

So I'm a little confused. It says the park ours for AK on March 2 are 9am-8pm. There used to only be one showing of ROL at 7:15 pm, but now it shows that there is one at 8:30 pm also. How can there be a ROL show at 8:30 if the park closes at 8?

Which is why I think I love Illuminations and this show. We don't always need Disney characters thrown in our faces.
I agree not everything needs to be Disney characters. I think Disney characters at something like ROL would be out of place. AK is not that kind of park. Epcot isn't really either which is why Illuminations fits there.

:wizard:

So I'm a little confused. It says the park ours for AK on March 2 are 9am-8pm. There used to only be one showing of ROL at 7:15 pm, but now it shows that there is one at 8:30 pm also. How can there be a ROL show at 8:30 if the park closes at 8?
When there is a closing time for parks, that does not mean everything is shut down. Rides keep going for those already in line. Dining keeps going for those already eating. Stores stay open quite awhile. People will still be in the parks for an hour or more. So shows can happen after the parks have their official closing hour.

When there is a closing time for parks, that does not mean everything is shut down. Rides keep going for those already in line. Dining keeps going for those already eating. Stores stay open quite awhile. People will still be in the parks for an hour or more. So shows can happen after the parks have their official closing hour.

I didn't realize they could schedule a show 30 min after closing time. Should I plan on seeing the 7:15 or the 8:30 show?

I didn't realize they could schedule a show 30 min after closing time. Should I plan on seeing the 7:15 or the 8:30 show?
Hard to say. If you want to maximize park time then see the late show. You won't miss out on opportunities for rides.

But even with Pandora AK can still be a park that is hard to stay at all day long. So if you want to get back to your hotel earlier that night go for the early show.

If it was me I would only do a late show after closing if I had a plan to come to AK sometime after opening. If I was doing AK at rope drop I would do the earliest show I could.

Hard to say. If you want to maximize park time then see the late show. You won't miss out on opportunities for rides.

But even with Pandora AK can still be a park that is hard to stay at all day long. So if you want to get back to your hotel earlier that night go for the early show.

If it was me I would only do a late show after closing if I had a plan to come to AK sometime after opening. If I was doing AK at rope drop I would do the earliest show I could.

Okay thanks! I think we will see the 7:15 pm show and head back to our hotel. We have DAH the night before and a PPO at TH at 8:30 am so we will be tired I bet. How early do you have to show up to ROL?
I'm having a little trouble planning our AK day. I'm not sure why.

know what you mean. Every single time anyone wanted to go in or out of the aisle, had to stand on the seat, there was no other way (I'm average sized). There was just no other way as the seating's too close
It was so incredibly uncomfortable!

The wood seats are a softer seat but besides being shoulder to shoulder .... your knees (and I'm not tall) are hitting the person in front of you in the back. We were in too tight to sit kinda sideways. Add antsy kids trying to climb around ....
Yep...every single bit of this! And yep, and my 3 year old was trying to sit on my lap for part of it plus I was balancing drinks and snacks. Never again for me.

Our kids, who were 9, 9, 13 when we saw it last summer, hated it. Well, they were trying to be polite by saying it was "OK", but I could see they were bored to tears. Star Wars is in a galaxy far, far away as far as child entertainment value. :D

Okay thanks! I think we will see the 7:15 pm show and head back to our hotel. We have DAH the night before and a PPO at TH at 8:30 am so we will be tired I bet. How early do you have to show up to ROL?

If you want a good choice of seats then show up 60+ min prior to showtime. If you just want to make sure you can get in and see the show, then 45+ min prior to showtime

Common. F! is often held after HS closes.
The later show is always the easier to get in. Be it RoL or F!

Can't you get a dining package with your TH reservation? It's the same price, and we liked arriving to the theatre only 15 minutes before the show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter