Riviera 50 pointer cleared ROFR at $121

I still think the buyer got ripped off... 50 points that I can ONLY use at RIV? Hard pass.

Everyone is different though. I keep saying it but no one is locked in to only having RIV points,

50 points for RIV stays and other points for elsewhere. Now that I love the resort, I will be adding resale points there at some point in a few years because I have plenty of other points that can trade everywhere else.

Everyone is different though. I keep saying it but no one is locked in to only having RIV points,

50 points for RIV stays and other points for elsewhere. Now that I love the resort, I will be adding resale points there at some point in a few years because I have plenty of other points that can trade everywhere else.

^^^ I agree. I was one of the vocal few who have pre-2019 points who would have looked into a small (100 points or less) RIV contract to use only at RIV if it turned out you needed to book more than 7 months in advance. But ... addonitis and IWANTITNOW hit at the same time, and once we decided we needed more points we went the direct route. Now we split-stay with Riviera on almost every trip so we can walk or skyliner to 3 of the 4 theme parks. (much as I love the optics of the boats and monorail, we typically won't take them unless we have no other choice.)

I still think the buyer got ripped off... 50 points that I can ONLY use at RIV? Hard pass.

Thing is some people go to the same hotel, same restaurant, year after year so they are taking an extra discount and locking in. They likely can sell in the future for not that much lost value as well even if it "tanks" down to $100 or $80 a point.

I think $120 at AKV or $100 at SSR is a rip-off as well but others value it differently. I remember when I was looking at some resale contracts this summer I felt like if I could get SSR for maybe like $55/point maybe it might be worth the hassle of having to wait until 7 months any time I wanted to book a room and yet not save that much on annual dues just the upfront cost.

I remember when I was looking at some resale contracts this summer I felt like if I could get SSR for maybe like $55/point maybe it might be worth the hassle of having to wait until 7 months any time I wanted to book a room and yet not save that much on annual dues just the upfront cost.
It's been my experience that if you get "stuck" where you don't really want to be, that up front savings is soon forgotten. And having to wait until 7 months is also stressful. One of the reasons I bought DVC was I was getting so tired of having to enter the "dialing for discounts" derby, and I didn't always win, either. Now it's just one quick online transaction to book my favorite resort. :)

Last edited:
One of the reasons I bought DVC was I was getting of so tired of having to enter the "dialing for discounts" derby, and I didn't always win, either.
So true! Pre-DVC we got cash rooms at GF for just under $300/nt (once) and Contemporary (garden wing) for low 200s. But those days are long gone, and we need to travel during school vacations, and I was tired of hunting for and hoping for a good discount code.

It's been my experience that if you get "stuck" where you don't really want to be, that up front savings is soon forgotten. And having to wait until 7 months is also stressful. One of the reasons I bought DVC was I was getting so tired of having to enter the "dialing for discounts" derby, and I didn't always win, either. Now it's just one quick online transaction to book my favorite resort. :)

The dreaded pin codes! I never got one so once we bought DVC I was giddy knowing I never had to worry!

The dreaded pin codes! I never got one so once we bought DVC I was giddy knowing I never had to worry!

I never got one until after buying DVC! haha So many trips for conventions though that it never mattered. Otherwise just the seasonal discounts were fine.

My Dad who I had registered on MDE who had "not yet visited" (he had just not his MDE account) is the only one I personally know that has ever gotten a pin code.

My parents always bought tickets from 3rd party sellers and never gave their information to Disney so just a MDE account that never had visited and had a reservation on the account was ever able to get a PIN lol.

My Dad who I had registered on MDE who had "not yet visited" (he had just not his MDE account) is the only one I personally know that has ever gotten a pin code.

My parents always bought tickets from 3rd party sellers and never gave their information to Disney so just a MDE account that never had visited and had a reservation on the account was ever able to get a PIN lol.

Even when my DD interned in that department and was part of the team, I didn’t get one! To this day, she still won’t share how that stuff is done and it’s been 6 years since she was there Lol

With the cancellation / postponement of Reflection I think Riviera price will go down even further... Not very convenient to be stuck with only one resort...

With the cancellation / postponement of Reflection I think Riviera price will go down even further... Not very convenient to be stuck with only one resort...
I might be wrong, but once you buy RIV resale you can only go to RIV. Not Reflections, not Disney Land Tower, etc... I thought the language stated, when purchased by resale it can only be used at that resort.

I might be wrong, but once you buy RIV resale you can only go to RIV. Not Reflections, not Disney Land Tower, etc... I thought the language stated, when purchased by resale it can only be used at that resort.

Correct. At this time, that is the restriction. It can be changed at any time if they want, buy buying resale means only RIV,

However, I would think that some people will buy RIV resale as part of what they own and buy other points to stay at the L14.

Only stuck if those are your only points. If you own other points, those can be used to stay elsewhere,

It is a way for buyers to get to stay at both L14 and RIV without paying direct prices,

I am still surprised by the prices at this point which to me, indicates people do like the resort enough to add to what else they own.

Only stuck if those are your only points. If you own other points, those can be used to stay elsewhere,

It is a way for buyers to get to stay at both L14 and RIV without paying direct prices,

I am still surprised by the prices at this point which to me, indicates people do like the resort enough to add to what else they own.

We visited the resort in Feb and I love it! We own Grand Californian and always stay there when going to Disneyland, so it wouldn't bother me personally to always stay at the same resort. It's a downside but not a deal breaker. RIV has the benefit of having many different room options, including the 2 person tower rooms. So even if you have to stay there each time you go, you have many different types of room to pick from.

Only stuck if those are your only points. If you own other points, those can be used to stay elsewhere,.

I always just like to point out that in 20 years time you won't be able to get a room around Epcot on "normal" resale points. Also I would say most anyone buying BWV or BCV in 5 years time will also be buying those resorts only to stay at those resorts.

Thing is some people go to the same hotel, same restaurant, year after year so they are taking an extra discount and locking in. They likely can sell in the future for not that much lost value as well even if it "tanks" down to $100 or $80 a point.

There are plenty of people with "winter homes" they go to every year. They don't go to a different winter home each year.

Is being locked in to 1 home worth "less" than variety? Yes, but how much less? Certainly not worthless.

Further, depending on when people travel, their type of room, many are implicitly locked in to their home resort regardless. If you're typically booking a studio at most resorts at Thanksgiving weekend annually, not like you'll have much opportunity to switch away from your home resort at 7 months.

There are plenty of people with "winter homes" they go to every year. They don't go to a different winter home each year.

Is being locked in to 1 home worth "less" than variety? Yes, but how much less? Certainly not worthless.

Further, depending on when people travel, their type of room, many are implicitly locked in to their home resort regardless. If you're typically booking a studio at most resorts at Thanksgiving weekend annually, not like you'll have much opportunity to switch away from your home resort at 7 months.
Good point. I bought 2 home resorts to make sure that I will be able to stay there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter