Riviera, AKL, Copper Creek?? HELP?

ScholarAndAGent

Earning My Ears
I'm having a serious cases of analysis paralysis.

We really don't care for Riviera. It just doesn't look in the least bit inspiring. But it's $188 for a 50 year contract. On the other hand, we could buy points for AKL or CC, two resorts we love (especially AKL).

My question is this, does my home resort and booking out at 11 months really matter? We're locals, we don't go to WDW during busy times like summer and holidays. We also usually don't plan vacations 11 months in advance unless its a cruise. Most of our vacations are planned maybe 6 months out, sometimes we might go on whim one weekend. So does it really matter that Riviera is our home resort if we don't care for it?

The problem I'm trying to wrap my head around is is it best to buy at Riviera for 50 years at $188? Or buy at a resort we know we love like AKL which has 38 years left at $176, or CC with 49 years left at $210.

Of course I need to figure out now before prices go up tomorrow. My head hurts.

IMO, you should spend more time researching DVC. Many will suggest it may not be right for you if you can't plan greater than 7 months in advance. These boards are amazing and have TONS of information. I would pause - in spite of price increases - and take some more time to learn more.

(Some examples of things to learn... DVC 'busy' time is not the same as park busy time... Resale is an option to save ~40% depending on the resort...)

IMO, you should spend more time researching DVC. Many will suggest it may not be right for you if you can't plan greater than 7 months in advance. These boards are amazing and have TONS of information. I would pause - in spite of price increases - and take some more time to learn more.

(Some examples of things to learn... DVC 'busy' time is not the same as park busy time... Resale is an option to save ~40% depending on the resort...)

I've been researching for years. We were just never ready to buy. Now we're settled in life and ready to buy, but then Disney decides to create a lackluster resort and put restrictions on resale points. We do plan on buying on resale points as well, but I want to purchase direct first and I would like access to the new resorts without being restricted to just existing resorts.

If you buy resale first you won't have to search for a contract with the same use year later (direct can match use year)
If you don't care for Riviera, why do you care that you are restricted from staying there? Reflections is years off and may be more desirable but then again, maybe not.
Personally if I were you I'd buy SSR resale - MAYBE AKL because you like it, but only if you think you'll ever book at 7-11 months. Both are about the same $/point, both have decent < 7 month availability. SSR has much cheaper MF's.

If you buy resale first you won't have to search for a contract with the same use year later (direct can match use year)
If you don't care for Riviera, why do you care that you are restricted from staying there? Reflections is years off and may be more desirable but then again, maybe not.
Personally if I were you I'd buy SSR resale - MAYBE AKL because you like it, but only if you think you'll ever book at 7-11 months. Both are about the same $/point, both have decent < 7 month availability. SSR has much cheaper MF's.
I concur - good advice, Lumpy!

I'm having a serious cases of analysis paralysis.

We really don't care for Riviera. It just doesn't look in the least bit inspiring. But it's $188 for a 50 year contract. On the other hand, we could buy points for AKL or CC, two resorts we love (especially AKL).

My question is this, does my home resort and booking out at 11 months really matter? We're locals, we don't go to WDW during busy times like summer and holidays. We also usually don't plan vacations 11 months in advance unless its a cruise. Most of our vacations are planned maybe 6 months out, sometimes we might go on whim one weekend. So does it really matter that Riviera is our home resort if we don't care for it?

The problem I'm trying to wrap my head around is is it best to buy at Riviera for 50 years at $188? Or buy at a resort we know we love like AKL which has 38 years left at $176, or CC with 49 years left at $210.

Of course I need to figure out now before prices go up tomorrow. My head hurts.

If you typically book at 6 months out, you should buy SSR on the resale market. all points are created equal inside of the 7 month window, so get the cheapest ones you can get.

I myself would not even consider DRR if my intent were to book at 6 months.

To elaborate on some points that have already been made, I think it’s a legitimate question whether DVC will really work for you:

- If you only plan to book less than 7 months out, home resort doesn’t matter at all. If you buy, buy the cheapest option (though direct would be necessary if you have any interest in trying to stay at Riviera or future resorts).

- Busy times are different for DVC. If you plan mostly on weekends, particularly in the fall through December, there will be essentially no availability less than 7 months out (food and wine weekends insanely popular with DVC folks). Springtime may be a little easier.

- Do you want to mostly stay in studios? There will be sparse availability less than 7 months out at almost any time of year... CCV studios are extremely hard to get, even for owners at 11 months, so don’t count on that. It’s a bit early to say whether RIV will have availability issues for non-owners.

Basically, no matter what home resort you choose, if you expect to plan mostly less than 7 months out, DVC is only really a decent choice if you don’t mind staying at SSR and/or in one bedrooms most of the time, or travel during times like March, April, summer, etc. that are less popular with DVC owners.

1. I wouldn't buy any premium resort if you're not using home resort booking.
  2. As locals, you don't need the discount on a Gold Pass that DVC gets. You already have resident options. As such, I wouldn't buy direct at all. If you really have FOMO, buy direct later - after you determine if the product really works for you.
  3. Buying resale first is far easier than buying direct direct.

If you get on the waitlist today for AKL (I'm assuming there is one) then you can still get today's rate until November 14th, provided a contract comes through. Just a thought. Have you spoken to a DVC rep yet?

Thanks for the responses everyone! We usually book 1 bedrooms when we stay in deluxe resorts or rent points. To be clear, we will be buying resale as well (probably AKL), but we also want direct points. We're paying cash, no financing, and I'd like to buy before prices go up for direct even higher than they are now. We'll buy resale when the market softens and prices come down.
So my question is purely around buying direct points. And being able to stay at future resorts does matter to us as do the DVC owner perks.

While you only book now at 6 months, as things change with what can be booked, your habits might change. You may find you are forced to book during home resort periods, even if it is not something you are 100% will happen.

Since DVC is about long term and not short term, I’d choose a resort that allows you to take advantage of the home resort youd want to be at if you end up needing and/ or wanting to book more than 6 mon5s ahead.

DVC can change you and your travel habits. Too much money to spend not to think about owning what you like. I just added on at RIV, but did so because I can see staying there at times And my adult kids like it so we bought because of the 2070 end date.

However, I would not have done it if they weren’t really into the resort.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses everyone! We usually book 1 bedrooms when we stay in deluxe resorts or rent points. To be clear, we will be buying resale as well (probably AKL), but we also want direct points. We're paying cash, no financing, and I'd like to buy before prices go up for direct even higher than they are now. We'll buy resale when the market softens and prices come down.
So my question is purely around buying direct points. And being able to stay at future resorts does matter to us as do the DVC owner perks.

In that case I think you have two choices. 1 would be AKL and the other would be cheapest direct route - so OKW. If you are't going to book out further than 7 months all points are the same - so go cheapest possible. If you love AKL and would like the possibility of club level or value - knowing that will require 11 month window - go for that. Good luck with your options.

1. I wouldn't buy any premium resort if you're not using home resort booking.
  2. As locals, you don't need the discount on a Gold Pass that DVC gets. You already have resident options. As such, I wouldn't buy direct at all. If you really have FOMO, buy direct later - after you determine if the product really works for you.
  3. Buying resale first is far easier than buying direct direct.

Exactly. Particularly point number 2!!!!

If I were in your shoes, I would A. Hope that they fit properly, and B. Not even entertain buying direct.

Going along the lines with what @Sandisw said, I amend what I said earlier. SInce you like AK, I would buy AK on the resale market. The price is not much more than SSR and its a small premium to get a home resort booking window that you might in the future want. Not to mention, its probably always best to have a reservation made at your home resort 11 months out, and then cancel it if needed.

There is debate about the DRR resale restrictions, but that aside, if it does not appeal to you, that alone is a reason to not buy there.

Buying AKR resale you will not be able to stay at Riviera (which you dont seem to really want to do anyway - so thats not much of a loss)

IF you decide for DVC is for you, then AKV resale, or SSR resale make the most sense in my eyes.

AKV is good for 38 years...how old will you be? You can buy something else at that point in time if you really really want to when it expires.

My concern for your thoughts about wanting to stay at future DVC resorts is this:
How often will you be doing this?
If it is not that often, you may be better off renting your points out and using that money and some of the money you saved buying resale.

You say you will buy resale when the market softens. "WHEN?" do you know something we do not? It may not soften any time in the near future. It has been strong for years.

Also, do realize that you will only be able to book at new resorts with the points you purchased directly. If you buy 100 points directly, then 200 resale, even though you are "Blue card members" only the 100 points will be usable at newer resorts, not all 300.

Last edited:
In that case I think you have two choices. 1 would be AKL and the other would be cheapest direct route - so OKW. If you are't going to book out further than 7 months all points are the same - so go cheapest possible. If you love AKL and would like the possibility of club level or value - knowing that will require 11 month window - go for that. Good luck with your options.

My main issue is the price for 50 years of points vs paying for 38 years of points. But from what many people seem to be saying,
it sounds like the length of the contract shouldn't necessarily play into our decision as much as whether or not we like the resort.

My main issue is the price for 50 years of points vs paying for 38 years of points. But from what many people seem to be saying,
it sounds like the length of the contract shouldn't necessarily play into our decision as much as whether or not we like the resort.

Right. That's by design. The direct prices are intended to make it seem like the current resort is the best deal - because the current resort is their cash-cow. But if you just don't like the current resort, I definitely wouldn't buy there. Dues are highest (and skyliner fees are contributing to that so I think they will remain higher than others) - but it's more about you not wanting home resort advantage there.

Someone alluded to this, but it’s important to know that the times of year that are hardest to book DVC rooms are not the same as when the parks are busy (though even that is changing as the summer seems to be a less popular time of year to visit now).

It can be difficult to book outside of your home resort (or after 7 months) October through December. However, 1-BR will be a lot easier than studios.

If I were you I’d probably buy at AKL as a balance between value and a place that you might like to stay if you can take advantage of booking before 7 months out in the future.

I've been researching for years. We were just never ready to buy. Now we're settled in life and ready to buy, but then Disney decides to create a lackluster resort and put restrictions on resale points. We do plan on buying on resale points as well, but I want to purchase direct first and I would like access to the new resorts without being restricted to just existing resorts.

This seems simple. If you don’t like RIV do NOT lock yourself into it. The price difference won’t matter if you find yourself frustrated if you get stuck at RIV.

I bought because it appealed to me. It was going to be RIV or POLY and RIV financially made sense as a direct purchase.

So....If you LIKE AKL... buy there! Seriously. DVC is too much money to start out less than thrilled with your decision.

If you are only looking at last minute travel, please do read the recent info on availability. It’s not the easiest product to use when your indicating you want to travel. I tried to rent (didn’t own yet) for our early Dec trip (only found out in Sept we were going) and it was such a SOL situation. So it’s not all that easy :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter