• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Riviera for tower studio or SSR for more points?

Bellevue

Earning My Ears
I am looking into purchasing a DVC contract with cash in the near future. I am 29 with no children yet. I am going back and forth between a 130-150 point resale Saratoga contract, or a 100 point Riviera contract for the perks that come with direct. I have a fairly stressful job, and I've gotten in the habit of taking a couple solo weekend trips a year, and I would book tower studios. I am just weighing my options and looking for some feedback or ideas. I also love the location of Boardwalk, but I'm not sure if its a good value with the 2042 ending date?

I agree that I wouldn’t buy Riviera unless you were comfortable sometimes staying in the regular studios. I think the tower studios will be hard to get, even at 11-months. But being an owner does give you a shot.

Similarly, I own at BWV and like the shot at standard studios, but know that I won’t always be able to get it.

I wouldn’t buy at SSR unless you like staying there, especially if you like to travel between Oct-Dec (it’s much easier to switch at 7 months outside of the popular fall period).

If you want direct for the perks, know that you’re not limited to Riviera. They can put you on a waitlist to buy direct points for sold out resorts.

I agree that I wouldn’t buy Riviera unless you were comfortable sometimes staying in the regular studios. I think the tower studios will be hard to get, even at 11-months. But being an owner does give you a shot.

Similarly, I own at BWV and like the shot at standard studios, but know that I won’t always be able to get it.

I wouldn’t buy at SSR unless you like staying there, especially if you like to travel between Oct-Dec (it’s much easier to switch at 7 months outside of the popular fall period).

If you want direct for the perks, know that you’re not limited to Riviera. They can put you on a waitlist to buy direct points for sold out resorts.

I do like traveling at Christmas/Food and Wine. This year I used Hilton points to stay at a Disney Springs hotel in November, and while it was a hassle to get to the parks, I just came to visit the parks. I was kind of thinking I would get an 11 month studio at Saratoga, and try my luck at the 7 month mark in the summer. I'd love to get to try other places, and if I paid the Riviera premium I'd feel like I needed to always stay there.

I do like traveling at Christmas/Food and Wine. This year I used Hilton points to stay at a Disney Springs hotel in November, and while it was a hassle to get to the parks, I just came to visit the parks. I was kind of thinking I would get an 11 month studio at Saratoga, and try my luck at the 7 month mark in the summer. I'd love to get to try other places, and if I paid the Riviera premium I'd feel like I needed to always stay there.

I've switched at 7 months fairly easily outside of the Fall, but like you I love Food and Wine and Christmas time. I'm also young without kids yet. I ended up buying BWV points (even with the short contract left... I just love staying within walking distance of two parks) and added CCV direct points for perks (also because I love Wilderness Lodge). I think you should generally buy where you love staying, because even though I do like staying at all of the different resorts, I have my favorites and vacation time is too precious to be somewhere you don't love.

Are you concerned about the shorter lifespan of the contract? I will be in my 50s in 2042, and I hope to still be taking some Disney trips. I guess I'll probably purchase more points or get out of DVC all together by then. Time will tell. I'm going to use a portion of the profits from the sale of my home (a very well timed purchase) to move up to something bigger and in a better location, and get DVC!

Are you concerned about the shorter lifespan of the contract? I will be in my 50s in 2042, and I hope to still be taking some Disney trips. I guess I'll probably purchase more points or get out of DVC all together by then. Time will tell. I'm going to use a portion of the profits from the sale of my home (a very well timed purchase) to move up to something bigger and in a better location, and get DVC!

I'll be in the my late 50s when the BWV contract expires. I wish it were longer, but I did the math and am comfortable with what I'm paying per year (with dues being the wildcard). Once I stayed in the Boardwalk area for the first time, I never wanted to come to Disney and not stay at least part of the time there (I like to split stay with a MK-area resort), so it was a no brainer for me, even with the expiration date.

That said, I might be a little more concerned if it were my only contract since I did add on at CCV. But if I didn't own at BWV, I'd constantly be scrambling to try and get it at 7 months (which is really hard during F&W and early Dec!).

As you said, maybe the expiration date isn't totally a bad thing. I don't anticipate my feelings changing about Disney, but it's hard to say how we'll feel in 20+ years!

Last edited:

no children yet.

How long until then? What is your plan when that happens? Go ever couple years or keep going yearly and buy more points?

I will be in my 50s in 2042, and I hope to still be taking some Disney trips.

My thought is it will be the perfect time to readjust my contracts to my future plans. Would take a longer contract but not at the expense of a great location and resort. Also its much nicer to save more today.

If they built RIV on top of the BWV parking lot I probably would have ended up with RIV though.

Buying at SSR will mean that to be at any of the near park resorts, you will be limited to booking at 7 months out. Trading into those is harder than owning elsewhere and trading out to SSR.

In terms of owning RIV, so far, booking the Tower studio has been available at the 11 month window at 8 am when I have checked. Granted, we aren’t dulling declared so booking patterns will change once resort is sold old, but based on current sales, it’s 3 to 5 years out. I think your chances of getting those would be possible.

Having said that, though, the resale restrictions will come in to play if you are thinking down the road of ever selling. You are going to get less. But if SSR or BWV/BCV are also on your radar, if you held on to it for at least 10 years, the resale value of all of them could be similar due to the ending date.

I ended up adding on at RIV and didn’t worry about resale because I already owned other contracts that could be sold. If that restriction bothers you in any way, I would not consider it.

You will save a lot of money going resale so need to consider that too.

I like to think I'll keep going forever regardless of what happens in my life, that said anything can happen, and if multiple trips a year is not possible I'd love to bank for bigger trips with extended family. My plan for DVC is pre paying for my solo and friend weekends, and then eventually getting big enough Villas for my family to enjoy together. I am trying to pay the least amount of money right now and get maximum enjoyment out of my contract. Walking to Epcot and HS would be a dream. I am going to Beach Club in January on an amazing AP discount and we're so excited to walk to different parks.

BWV even in resale is a terrible "value" financially. You buy BWV for a shot at Standard and because your prioritize being able to stay at BWV over the financials.

Because of the expiration date?

The price for BWV has gone up a lot in the last two years, despite losing years on the contract. It is at a bit of a crazy level right now, even for resale. Although not as crazy as the BCV prices!

Last edited:
The price for BWV has gone up a lot in the last two years, despite losing years on the contract. It is at a bit of a crazy level right now, even for resale. Although not as crazy as the BCV prices!
That makes sense. The smaller contracts I've found are $150 a point. What is availability like at the 7 month window for the summer? That is my second favorite time to go, and the easiest time for us to travel.

Saratoga seems really nice, and I love the style of the renovated rooms. Boardwalk and Rivera have great locations, I could easily pay cash for Saratoga or BWV. My budget is probably max 13-14k and I want to maximize weekend trips and a 4 day stay in the summer.

That makes sense. The smaller contracts I've found are $150 a point. What is availability like at the 7 month window for the summer? That is my second favorite time to go, and the easiest time for us to travel.

Saratoga seems really nice, and I love the style of the renovated rooms. Boardwalk and Rivera have great locations, I could easily pay cash for Saratoga or BWV. My budget is probably max 13-14k and I want to maximize weekend trips and a 4 day stay in the summer.

Availability is much better in the summer and I think you could get a BWV pool/garden view studio at the 7 month window (or at least waitlist any individual days you couldn't get, and they'd likely come through eventually since there are so many pool/garden rooms).

This thread gives you an idea of the availability of rooms throughout the year: https://www.disboards.com/threads/p...-bd-charts-september-2019-2-bd-added.3689931/

Do you like Disney Springs?

Our vacation pattern has changed the more we go. I/we used to be all about the parks, but now we like to do half days at the parks and park hop around when we want. I like that SSR is a boat or walk to Disney Springs because one of the fun things about vacation is eating out and exploring/noticing things. :D

I also like that because SSR is next door to Disney Springs, there are a lot more possible food options. Even though BWV is a boardwalk, I felt like the food options were lacking for me. I didn't just want to go into Epcot to get food either because you have to go through security and it's a hassle sometimes.

Personally, I would get the larger contract at SSR if you would be fine with staying there if you can't get anything else. You could always add on 50 points at BWV down the road if you really want the standard studio for one weekend trip a year (Food & Wine Festival). I would not buy at RIV. The tower rooms look small, and they cost quite a bit. Also, I have concerns about the Skyliner, and how maintenance fees will increase for RIV once it is completely sold.

The renovated rooms at SSR are almost as nice as Riviera. I think you should try renting a room at SSR for a weekend and see how it goes. If you are happy with the resort, there are lots of resale contracts out there. Even if you did buy and did not like it you could sell it with a small loss. Unlike buying 100 points at RIV. Even though it’s a little early to determine what effects the resale restrictions will have on RIV contracts. They seem to be selling for less money than CCV ones do.

The renovated rooms at SSR are almost as nice as Riviera. I think you should try renting a room at SSR for a weekend and see how it goes. If you are happy with the resort, there are lots of resale contracts out there. Even if you did buy and did not like it you could sell it with a small loss. Unlike buying 100 points at RIV. Even though it’s a little early to determine what effects the resale restrictions will have on RIV contracts. They seem to be selling for less money than CCV ones do.
CCV sells fairly high right now (aligned with PVB, maybe a tiny bit higher because less supply or more closely BLT ). Riviera a few contracts have sold around 120 and one sold for 140. There was a 100 per point contract but that was bought super cheap then immediately flipped for 140 so that sale means nothing at 100

We bought SSR as our first contract years ago sight unseen (well except for that Disney Institute stay many years ago). We have stayed pretty much everywhere (off-season) with those points, but had issues booking VGF and BCV when we wanted (mostly fall) so we added on there too.

IMO, SSR is never a bad place to start - very economical, super convenient to Disney Springs (which they have done such a good job re-imagining), and the remodeled rooms look very well done.

DVC is addicting, and your vacationing needs are ever-changing (trust me - when you have 'pre-paid points' those annual vacations start multiplying real fast... there's pretty much a new excuse for a quick trip every month lol). We started at 150, now have 528 and always seem to be in borrow mode. Good luck!!!

I bought when I was just shy of 30 and have loved every minute of it. My only regret is I didn't buy more that first year.

If I was the OP I'd probably buy SSR just because of being able to buy more points. If one is flexible, getting other resorts at 7 months for long weekends is doable. And the readily available Uber's/Lyft in WDW has made location much less of an issue for us. SSR to anywhere via Uber for us was $12 or less. Pretty affordable for those that detest the buses like us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter