ROFR Thread April to June 2019 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robmac07---$101-$18080-160-AKV-Aug-0/17, 0/18, 226/19, 160/20- sent 4/2, passed 4/22

Long time reader of this thread, but first time poster. This was my first attempt at a DVC purchase and I was surprised it passed ROFR.

Congratulations ! This gives me hope for my $103 AKV offer that’s currently in ROFr.

What was your closing date on your contract please. Thank you.

Our closing date was listed in our contract as "within 60 days of the effective date". The effective date turned out to be 3/28/19 which was the day the seller signed our contract. Based on the contract language, 5/27/19, would be the last possible closing date.

Our closing date was listed in our contract as "within 60 days of the effective date". The effective date turned out to be 3/28/19 which was the day the seller signed our contract. Based on the contract language, 5/27/19, would be the last possible closing date.
Thanks for the information and congrats to you.

I called Member Services who once again reiterated that they look at contracts based on closing date order, not when received. It's a party line.

Our closing date is May 18 (9 days sooner) was sent March 18th (10 days sooner) and was for $115 / point ..... so while the 'unit number' mentioned earlier in this thread 'may' be in play....there's really no rhyme or reason why some contracts at certain resorts pass quicker than others.

Disney seems to be gambling that by making the process (for most) resale contracts not bought direct that buyers of resale contracts will simply start to go direct at the much higher prices. I think they are wrong. At least they are for me. If this one gets taken I'll just park the money in a CD for a couple of years until Disney regains its senses. It's just not worth the aggravation of a very inconsistent and illogical ROFR process. Apparently my SSR contract of 8 days ago still has not been forwarded by Disney Member Admin to the Disney ROFR people. Ridiculous.

That's my rant for today.

Last edited:

I called Member Services who once again reiterated that they look at contracts based on closing date order, not when received. It's a party line.

Our closing date is May 18 (9 days sooner) was sent March 18th (10 days sooner) and was for $115 / point ..... so while the 'unit number' mentioned earlier in this thread 'may' be in play....there's really no rhyme or reason why some contracts at certain resorts pass quicker than others. That's my rant for today.

We submitted AKL for ROFR on 3/28 at $108 with the seller paying 2019 dues on the 124 points in 2019. Its an effective rate of about $104 and haven't heard anything yet. Our closing is 6/11/19. Not really surprised that we haven't heard. I was shocked when the $101 contract passed ROFR so quickly. Drunken Monkey strikes again!

Robmac07---$101-$18080-160-AKV-Aug-0/17, 0/18, 226/19, 160/20- sent 4/2, passed 4/22

Long time reader of this thread, but first time poster. This was my first attempt at a DVC purchase and I was surprised it passed ROFR.

Wow! I'm jealous of this one!! Congrats. Further proof it's about more than the price per point...

Our closing date is May 18 (9 days sooner) was sent March 18th (10 days sooner) and was for $115 / point ..... so while the 'unit number' mentioned earlier in this thread 'may' be in play....there's really no rhyme or reason why some contracts at certain resorts pass quicker than others.

Disney seems to be gambling that by making the process (for most) resale contracts not bought direct that buyers of resale contracts will simply start to go direct at the much higher prices. I think they are wrong. At least they are for me. If this one gets taken I'll just park the money in a CD for a couple of years until Disney regains its senses. It's just not worth the aggravation of a very inconsistent and illogical ROFR process. Apparently my SSR contract of 8 days ago still has not been forwarded by Disney Member Admin to the Disney ROFR people. Ridiculous.

That's my rant for today.

Are you a current owner? I'm strongly considering calling member services. My broker said he can't...

I'm already getting nervous that this first test is going to be a bust.

When they first sent me the contract to sign on 4/18 and it had a closing date of 5/20 on it, I said that made me nervous because if there was even 2 days worth of hold up in getting the contract to Disney, we were going to be in violation of their ROFR rules. I was assured that they would definitely get it out to Disney the next day and that they wouldn't even wait for my deposit to clear first.

This morning (28 days until close) I got an email from someone else at the company saying "Your contract has just been submitted to Disney for their Right Of First Refusal review".

Not exactly instilling confidence...
My suspicions were right.

Even though I told them back on the 18th that the date on the contract made me nervous and they assured me it would be taken care of... they dropped the ball.

So now a contract has been sent to Disney that was only 28 days from it’s closing date. They aren’t sure what to do now, because they’ve never done that before.

I have them rewriting the contract now just to get ahead of this.

Are you a current owner? I'm strongly considering calling member services. My broker said he can't...
Hi Katie,
Yes I am...........one direct.........a couple indirect. When I called (member services number, then option 2 followed by the next option 2) about 10 days ago the person actually took a few minutes and checked on the status. Today, this person, while pleasant, wouldn't even check.....said (lied to me) that they had no visibility. So my frustration today is compounded by both (A) wildly inconsistent approach by Disney to ROFR combined with (B) member services lying to me that they cannot tell the status and that they have no way of finding out. And, when she said to have my broker call, I asked if my broker would call the actual ROFR people or would simply call member services as I had, she said that the broker would simply call member services as I had. So I then asked why would I ask my broker to waste their time if they are simply going to get the same member services folks that I would get. She had no answer. Make of that what you will.

Hi Katie,
Yes I am...........one direct.........a couple indirect. When I called (member services number, then option 2 followed by the next option 2) about 10 days ago the person actually took a few minutes and checked on the status. Today, this person, while pleasant, wouldn't even check.....said (lied to me) that they had no visibility. So my frustration today is compounded by both (A) wildly inconsistent approach by Disney to ROFR combined with (B) member services lying to me that they cannot tell the status and that they have no way of finding out. And, when she said to have my broker call, I asked if my broker would call the actual ROFR people or would simply call member services as I had, she said that the broker would simply call member services as I had. So I then asked why would I ask my broker to waste their time if they are simply going to get the same member services folks that I would get. She had no answer. Make of that what you will.

What my broker has said is that they have been apologetic to the brokers and that this has to do with their "one ROFR employee" on extended leave. While I feel sympathy, as extended leave is rarely a positive thing, it seems nuts to me they only had ONE person doing ROFR. Of course, I guess they have no incentive to have more than one... but perhaps they need to train a few backfills. :P

What my broker has said is that they have been apologetic to the brokers and that this has to do with their "one ROFR employee" on extended leave. While I feel sympathy, as extended leave is rarely a positive thing, it seems nuts to me they only had ONE person doing ROFR. Of course, I guess they have no incentive to have more than one... but perhaps they need to train a few backfills. :P
And to your earlier point, yes, brokers can call just as we can. The more experienced brokers can / should call their DVC buddies.

Yes, re the 'extended leave' issue, Disney's made their issues then our issues, which is very non-Disney like. Do I believe that they have only one ROFR person? If, nudge, nudge, wink, wink, that is true, then in theory Disney would need to pass immediately all resale contracts submitted. Since resale contracts apparently are passing ROFR here and there that tells me that they do have more than one person reviewing these. If, as others have posted, that Disney has two people review each contract then, again, they do have more than one ROFR person reviewing these.

Banking my money in a Money Market account for a while is looking more and more favorable.

Even though I told them back on the 18th that the date on the contract made me nervous and they assured me it would be taken care of... they dropped the ball.

So now a contract has been sent to Disney that was only 28 days from it’s closing date. They aren’t sure what to do now, because they’ve never done that before.

I think you'll hear very quick then on your contract; either (A) it will pass ROFR because they don't want to deal with it or (B) message to the broker that Disney won't look at it and have it rewritten with a longer closing date.

Interesting times.

Hi Katie,
This is getting quite nasty! When I called about two weeks ago all I needed was the DVC Contract Number and Seller/Buyer names...and though I did not get an answer regarding ROFR either way, I did speak with a polite CM. Here I am on Day 63...how do you get an answer if you can't call Disney and get an answer and your broker won't call? It can't go on forever...

I think you'll hear very quick then on your contract; either (A) it will pass ROFR because they don't want to deal with it or (B) message to the broker that Disney won't look at it and have it rewritten with a longer closing date.

Interesting times.
Something tells me if they wouldn't start passing contracts that were submitted in violation of their terms, since that would just be an incentive for the buyers to behave badly.

It would be interesting to see what they have to say about it though.

This is getting quite nasty! When I called about two weeks ago all I needed was the DVC Contract Number and Seller/Buyer names...and though I did not get an answer regarding ROFR either way, I did speak with a polite CM. Here I am on Day 63...how do you get an answer if you can't call Disney and get an answer and your broker won't call? It can't go on forever...

Would asking to speak to a Supervisor / Manager / Vice President work?

You have my empathy and sympathy.

Fact is truly stranger than fiction.

Good for you! Get that contract rewritten and see what happens... I've been looking at a couple potential add on's but am still waiting for an answer on our other contract (Day 63 today). DH says no way until this first one is resolved!

FWIW the "call DVC and get some answers right now" comes around periodically with ROFR and from what I've seen with this happening is that DVC eventually says enough and will stop even talking to you at all. The times it's made any difference have been rare and often unique circumstances. They do not seem to have a ton of support staff in Member administration or accounting and it makes sense that they need to stop otherwise all they do is spend their time fielding the phone calls. Do as you feel you must but IMO patience will be better. It has never happened that DVC suddenly starts giving out info left and right to all callers. Never. It's almost always gone the other way and they won't talk to anyone.

Hasn't the closing date on your contract already passed?

Technically that means Disney has already waived their right of first refusal. They no longer have the right to take that contract from you.

I would email your broker and reiterate that point and tell Disney to get a move on with the estoppel and whatever else they need to do.

Actually the close by date is the end. You will need a broker and title company that will be willing to begin closing though. By all wording in the contract as long as DVC has had 30 days then they should be able to but I know that many are reluctant to do so without the formal word back on ROFR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter