• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ROFR Thread April to June 2021 *PLEASE SEE FIRST POST FOR INSTRUCTIONS & FORMATTING TOOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting to question whether the broker I called really had "mulitple offers" on both small contracts that I inquired about. This situation resulted in me overbidding by submitting my "best and final offer". I later learned (from you all) that buying direct was a better option. I only share this with you because both properties are still for sale days later. The person called me and asked me to reconsider my offer and told me prices were only going to go up. I told them my reason for rescinding were personal and money related and I was no longer interested - even with the offer of a delayed closing.

I'm not sure if this is a common practice or if perhaps the broker had mulitiple offers and everyone backed out for both properties. I'm purposefully being vauge about gender and their company because I don't want to unfairly accuse anyone of less than ethical practices. In the future, I was be cautious about "best and final" offers. Perhaps this was a legit situation. As the days go on and the properties are still unsold, it makes me wonder.

Awesome! Thank you so much. Now that we know it's possible, that's the route were going to go as well. If I read correctly, they are able to match my use year?
That is my understanding. A fellow poster said they had to push for it because they were trying to give them another year.

If it's the only broker with a 25 pt BWV listed at $189 right now, they have said the same thing to me about a different contract. I saw an extended OKW on that site weeks ago right after it was listed. She said there was already multiple offers on it already. Over the next couple days the listing didn't come down until 5 days later. Something was definitely shady. If a contract has multiple offers hours after listing, it doesn't come down after 5 days.

I'm starting to question whether the broker I called really had "mulitple offers" on both small contracts that I inquired about. This situation resulted in me overbidding by submitting my "best and final offer".

I'm not sure if this is a common practice or if perhaps the broker had mulitiple offers and everyone backed out for both properties. I'm purposefully being vauge about gender and their company because I don't want to unfairly accuse anyone of less than ethical practices. In the future, I was be cautious about "best and final" offers. Perhaps this was a legit situation. As the days go on and the properties are still unsold, it makes me wonder.

This broker did the same to me. I offered list price on a 50pt BWV contract ($135 in November, my how prices have gone up). I was told there were multiple buyers and what was my best offer. I ignored the email because I wasn't going to get into a bidding war. Less than 48 hours later I received an email that I had "won". The rest of the process went smoothly.

I'm starting to question whether the broker I called really had "mulitple offers" on both small contracts that I inquired about. This situation resulted in me overbidding by submitting my "best and final offer". I later learned (from you all) that buying direct was a better option. I only share this with you because both properties are still for sale days later. The person called me and asked me to reconsider my offer and told me prices were only going to go up. I told them my reason for rescinding were personal and money related and I was no longer interested - even with the offer of a delayed closing.

Not sure which resale broker you dealt with since I'm not even looking any more but mine tried to pull that too but I stuck to my offer & got the contract. Not cool that they are lying to get higher offers.

Amy, maybe you or someone else could correct me, but I thought you couldn't buy that small of a contract direct? Am I missing something? Maybe you have to own direct already in order to do so? We don't own anything direct currently, only resale. We would like a small contract to supplement and we're considering direct but we were under the impression that the minimum was 75 points direct. Thank you!

Any current owner may add on as little as 25 points at most properties. There have been 50 pt minimums for current owners at a couple of resorts - one of them Riviera - but I do not know if that is still in effect or not. DVC will add on to your current membership which means the same UY. About the only time they won't is if you were to be adding on enough points to qualify as if you were a brand new member and then you may request a different UY if you wanted or there's been the time or two when they wanted very much to sell and then suggested a different UY.

It is a 50 pt minimum if you wish to finance your purchase thru them. And it's 125 points required to qualify for the ancillary benefits.

Any current owner may add on as little as 25 points at most properties. There have been 50 pt minimums for current owners at a couple of resorts - one of them Riviera - but I do not know if that is still in effect or not. DVC will add on to your current membership which means the same UY. About the only time they won't is if you were to be adding on enough points to qualify as if you were a brand new member and then you may request a different UY if you wanted or there's been the time or two when they wanted very much to sell and then suggested a different UY.

It is a 50 pt minimum if you wish to finance your purchase thru them. And it's 125 points required to qualify for the ancillary benefits.
I'm curious .. what is the benefit of buying a small amount of points direct? As you said, you don't get the coveted blue membership card without the 125 point purchase. Is it just to make a smaller stay reservation within the 11 mo. widow? Or are there other benefits just having direct points?

I'm curious .. what is the benefit of buying a small amount of points direct? As you said, you don't get the coveted blue membership card without the 125 point purchase. Is it just to make a smaller stay reservation within the 11 mo. widow? Or are there other benefits just having direct points?

Only direct (or pre-restriction resale) points are eligible to book at Riviera. 25 points isn't going to get you very far there, though.

Edit: Also, small contracts can be hard to find via resale, so sometimes it's just easier to pay the premium for the ease of direct on a small contract. This is especially true if time is a concern before an upcoming booking window and the desired contract is not available through resale and/or the resale process would take too long.

Last edited:
People will bank and borrow to get more nights or use smaller contracts to spend a couple nights somewhere each year for something like Food and Wine, Christmas, etc. On small contracts the spread between direct and resale isn't as great so it can just be easier to add on direct.

The traditional reason is that you needed a few more points to get the stays you want and small contracts on the resale market are not as common and/or priced close to direct. And a few have done it because they wanted a day or two stay at a particular resort and found they had difficulty at 7 months, or want those couple of nights at Riviera. Also you can accumulate the direct purchases until you reach the minimum requirement for benefits. You may not want to finance but rather pay cash and decide to do that as you have the savings accumulated.

The traditional reason is that you needed a few more points to get the stays you want and small contracts on the resale market are not as common and/or priced close to direct. And a few have done it because they wanted a day or two stay at a particular resort and found they had difficulty at 7 months, or want those couple of nights at Riviera. Also you can accumulate the direct purchases until you reach the minimum requirement for benefits. You may not want to finance but rather pay cash and decide to do that as you have the savings accumulated.
I didn't realize you could keep adding small point deeds and accumulate them to reach the benefit requirements. That might be my new guilty pleasure. Of course, I'm still waiting to close on my BRV points, so it will have to wait until 2022. :rolleyes1

oh no! Is this your first one taken? Why are they taking so many BWV and not a lot of BCV? Anyone know?

We already own at AKL. This was our first one for BWV. Our broker has another contract for us. We will probably do a second try! I'll let you know soon. We don't give up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter